PDA

View Full Version : SYP Used for turning?

David Warkentin
05-14-2010, 4:07 PM
Here in Alabama we have an abundance of pine. Has anyone found a good turning use for it? Like to see some pictures! David

David E Keller
05-14-2010, 4:09 PM
I haven't turned much pine. It can be pretty soft and sticky, and the sap can get everywhere. Not my favorite turning wood because of the sap issue.

Richard Madison
05-14-2010, 4:15 PM
Have used kiln dried SYP construction lumber in a few segmented pieces, but not so sure about "fresh" wood. Suggest you just try a piece and evaluate for yourself.

Dave MacArthur
05-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Not sure how close Southern Yellow Pine is to Norfolk Island Pine, but I know SYP is very hard/dense and I'd expect it to be similar. If you want to see some GREAT NIP turning, and maybe get some ideas to try with the SYP, you need to read the Turner's Interview with Sascha Gast, and visit his website here:
http://www.pbase.com/saschagast/woodturning

Sasha looks like he mostly turns NIP, turns it very thin then soaks in oil until translucent. This is my most favorite of the Turner Interviews. I haven't seen Sascha around recently, but he's an interesting guy. Here's the link to his interview:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=70900

Check out the top link to his website, he is also something of a photographer and the pics and turnings are just beautiful!

neil mackay
05-17-2010, 8:23 AM
The up side of using pine is that you will get very good at keeping your tools very sharp :D pine hates a blunt edge, and you will get very good at dealing with tear out.

The down side its pain and looks like what it is 'ordinary'. But its great for learning on or trying a new technique.

Thomas Canfield
05-17-2010, 9:41 PM
I don't have pictures (it really did happen) but I turned several bowls from some pine trees in the yard and neighborhood. You do need sharp tools and the sap is a real mess. The pine will check if you don't turn it fast or seal it. There was a demo at the SWAT last year showing turning pine and the oil process needed to make it translucent like the NIP. A good oil soaking and the sap wood will really come to life. The trees here had some boer holes and were good for fruit bowls displaying apples and oranges, and general catch-all bowls. I don't think that you would use them for food service. You ought to try some.

David Warkentin
05-17-2010, 9:54 PM
Thanks for the answers everyone. Busy on some segmented stuff now so it will have to wait a little. David