PDA

View Full Version : Search for canister filter,for Dust Collector

robert raess
05-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Just bought a Jet1200DC 2hp,230v.Looking to change the bag to a canister cartridge 1 micron.Best price so far is Grizzly for $170..anybody aware of some better deals?...thanks rob

Jamie Buxton
05-14-2010, 1:15 PM
You don't just need a canister. You need a canister equipped with a cleaning mechanism of some sort -- a paddle or a beater or the like. A lot of your sawdust is going to collect on the inside of the canister, and you need an easy way to knock it down into the bag.

Dave Gaul
05-14-2010, 1:23 PM
Try Wynn Environmental . Highly regarded here on the 'creek.

Alan Schaffter
05-14-2010, 2:20 PM
In addition to what Jamie said- you need a pre-separator (cyclone, baffle system, etc.) or you are just wasting your money. The air will be cleaner coming through the filter, but the resistance created by dust on the cartridge will reduce the amount of dust you collect at the source- right where you are standing and breathing! If you get one with a cleaner (beater bar) you will need to use it often and in doing so rapidly degrade the filter.

Cary Falk
05-14-2010, 2:51 PM
You don't just need a canister. You need a canister equipped with a cleaning mechanism of some sort -- a paddle or a beater or the like. A lot of your sawdust is going to collect on the inside of the canister, and you need an easy way to knock it down into the bag.

The grizzly has a 3 paddle beater in it. I have one on my JET1100. It was just a tad to small in diameter so I had to make a donut. Other than that I am happy with it.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0010.jpg

robert raess
05-14-2010, 2:56 PM
So are you not in favor of a canister,and yes i was planning on getting one with a flapper .Also do you mean the separator that sends the chips to a garbage can and the dust to the units bag?..thanks rob

Alan Schaffter
05-14-2010, 3:14 PM
So are you not in favor of a canister,and yes i was planning on getting one with a flapper .Also do you mean the separator that sends the chips to a garbage can and the dust to the units bag?..thanks rob

I am NOT in favor of canisters, UNLESS, you have a separator that sends all the chips and as much of the dust as possible into a bin or bag first!

Actually my opinion of DC configurations in order of best to worst as far as CFM (initial and long-term), "collection at the source," cleanest, and easiest to maintain:

1. Single stage DC with no cyclone, no separator, no filter which discharges everything outside (gotta live in the boonies for this)

2. DC with cyclone that discharges mostly clean air outside (no filter)
3. DC with other separator (baffle, etc.) that discharges outside (no filter)
4. DC with cyclone that returns air to the shop via a cartridge filter
5. DC with other separator that returns air to the shop via a cartridge filter

(big gap here)

6. DC with cyclone that returns air to the shop via a bag filter
7. DC with other separator that returns air to the shop via a bag filter

(an even bigger gap here)

8. Single stage DC with a cartridge filter
9. Single stage DC with a bag filter

If weather does not always permit #2, you can add a selector valve to make a #2 - #4 hybrid like I have done.