PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood Floor/Subfloor Options

Bob Winkler
05-14-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm planning to cover my 24x30 workshop concrete slab floor with hardwood or laminate floor. I have been reading of 3 subfloor options and would like your feedback:

1. rigid foam sheets, covered by T&G subflor tapconned to slab
2. pressure treated sleepers screwed to slab, foam in between sleepers, T&G subfloor screwed to sleepers
3. plastic air space/barrier (Delta FL), covered by T&G subfloor screwed to slab

I've read of all methods above used, and can't decide it there is a clear winner in my case. My shop is a separate above-grade building with good drainage, so moisture is not a concern. I like the idea of the extra floor insulation that rigid foam could provide in my cold climate (CT.)

One final question- while I love oak or other hardwood strip flooring, the costs are pretty high. Do you think laminate floor could hold up to a workshop environment? I don't have HUGE equipment, but the normal BS, TS, and 15" planer are still pretty heavy.

Thanks for any comments, advice or recommendations.

Bob

Joe A Faulkner
05-14-2010, 1:12 PM
You might look at the utility grade hardwoods available from Lumber Liquidators. From what I've read, you probably have to count on higher waste percentage, and you may have to mill some of the pieces (irregular widths, missing end grooves or tongues), but at .99 to 1.49 sq foot this may be a better option for a shop floor than laminate. Of course your labor will be a bit more involved. Also, most laminates require some type of sound proofing/padding underlayment that can add additional costs.

I'm leaning towards the utility hickory, but haven't told the wife yet, and a floor purchase is many months off. I have more framing and wiring to do before finalizing plans for the floor.

Chris Stolicky
05-15-2010, 1:29 PM
You might look at the utility grade hardwoods available from Lumber Liquidators. From what I've read, you probably have to count on higher waste percentage, and you may have to mill some of the pieces (irregular widths, missing end grooves or tongues), but at .99 to 1.49 sq foot this may be a better option for a shop floor than laminate. Of course your labor will be a bit more involved. Also, most laminates require some type of sound proofing/padding underlayment that can add additional costs.

I'm leaning towards the utility hickory, but haven't told the wife yet, and a floor purchase is many months off. I have more framing and wiring to do before finalizing plans for the floor.

If, or when, I ever get to build another shop, I will go for the utility wood flooring. I redid a floor in our house and used the old laminate I took up for the floor in my shop. While it is generally tough enough to take the abuse, it is very slippery. especially if there is any dust or water on it. I see you live in CT, where it snows. I was sharpening turning tools on my grinder last winter after having come in from the snow. I slipped, and thankfully, the only thing that was damaged was my grinding wheel!

Plus, the utility wood flooring could actually end up being a cheaper option.

Thomas Canfield
05-15-2010, 8:31 PM
Bob,

I would not use laminate flooring in a shop. I have it in the house and find that it dings fairly easy when things are dropped on it, is slick, and easily damaged with water or moisture. My wife likes it because of the finish so it is here for a while. My shop has concrete floors sealed with Thompson Waterseal and I use the rubber mats at the standing points only.