PDA

View Full Version : Bent Arbor....Learning Experience

Brian DeMore
05-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Hello All,

I'm a new poster and new to wood working in general. I am however a pretty avid researcher. After a significant amount of said research, I decided to look for a high quality, used TS. After a few weeks, I found a "new" looking TS on CL. It's a Delta 36-560 Contractor. I looked at it and it seriously does not appear to have ever been used. Very few wear marks, good threads, litle saw dust and a believable owner story. After some haggling, I bought it for $320.00 which included delivery to my house. Upon delivery, the owner wanted to demonstrate that it was in working order so after re-installing the motor he hit the power switch. A horrible sound ensued and he quickly turned it off. After a few "adjustments" he explained that because the motor's cover plate was removed something must have rubbed. I quickly inspected the saw and couldn't see or hear anything wrong.

Chapter Two:

I totally broke down the saw, cleaned it, removed what little rust the tabletop had, and began to tune it. After buying some calibration equipment from In-Line I began to suspect something was terribly wrong!! Is my arbor supposed to be on a cam shaft?? :) You guessed it. When said owner started he saw in my garage, the blade was in its fully retracted position. The arbor was firmly seated at its lowest depth with the arbor sitting squarely on the steel round tube at the bottom of the trunion assembly (sorry don't know the technical term). Anyway, I have another $100 arbor shaft on order. :( Now for my question.

Why is it possible to lower the blade this far? I want to avoid this problem going forward. Is my saw missing a stop or is this a design flaw?? Sorry for the novel but had to vent here. My wife is alrady mad and doesn't want to hear about it.

mark kosse
05-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Brian, Welcome!

A good question and I don't know the answer. I can check my delta contractor tonight and see if there is a stop if no one else knows. You might contact delta and ask them too. If you don't have the manual you can get it on the delta site.

Brian DeMore
05-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks a lot Mark!! If any good comes from this, maybe it will be that I saved someone else from a similar fate.

Erik Christensen
05-14-2010, 6:43 PM
first welcome to the creek - and also welcome to the newbies club. I am like you - learning how to use all these tools i am acquiring. I have been REALLY REALLY REALLY careful about personal safety and so far have not hurt myself.. but I have busted some tools as part of the learning process.

after losing my cool the first time or so I now accept that some stuff (both stock and tooling) is going to get trashed as I learn things - i remember cutting a bunch of individual profiles using the insert cutter on my shaper to give to the wife so she could pick out what she wanted for a window sill trim - cheap (and stupid) guy that I am i used scrap stock - except it was MDF and they were steel inserts made for solid wood only!!!! what made it really dumb was I did this to pretty much every insert i have - only thing worse than a fool is a persistant fool

so now i look at it as - nobody got hurt & the house is still standing - it was a learning experience

Brian DeMore
05-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Erik-Glad I'm not alone!! :)

Bruce Wrenn
05-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Don't feel bad. I once spent over $400 on parts for a FREE delta contractor's saw. Included was the arbor. But I use this saw almost everyday to earn part of my living. Last year, my neighbor trued the face on the old arbor, and I installed it in another saw. Yesterday, here, the was a Delta Model 10 CS on criagslist for $110. Needless to say, it isn't there today.

Salem Ganzhorn
05-17-2010, 12:00 AM
To my knowledge you cannot lower the blade "too low" on a contractor's saw. Maybe something else is twisted/bent? Also having problems imagining what could go wrong here. Any pictures?

Salem

mark kosse
05-20-2010, 8:16 PM
Brian, This slipped my mind, Sorry. I'm PMing you. Call me to talk about this. Or send me a number and I'll call you.