PDA

View Full Version : Has Anybody Ever Heard of a Maikta 2005s Planer/Jointer?

Harlan Theaker
05-14-2010, 11:13 AM
A friend recently purchased a Makita 2005s planer/jointer combo machine.

Yes, the model number is definitely correct, I believe this model was never available in North America.

The machine itself is an 8" jointer and 8" open end planer. He says he's working on getting me pictures... we're in different cities or I would go take them myself.

Has anybody ever heard/used this machine before? I've spent some time on google as well as searching forums and can't find anything...

Harlan Theaker
05-15-2010, 12:05 PM
I've gotten a couple replies on OWWM, but seems to be a pretty rare machine....

Larry Edgerton
05-16-2010, 8:28 AM
I wore one of those out I believe. Not sure on the Model #, but I bought one about twenty years ago. Great machine for site work, ran a lot of material through it before it puked. I tried to find another but it seems they were no longer made or at least available here.

Did he buy it new? If so where?

Steve Rowe
05-16-2010, 8:46 AM
When I was in the market for my first planer over 25 years ago, I looked at a Makita jointer planer combo machine. As I recall, it had a universal motor, had a jointer on the side and a planer driven by the same motor. It was not like the combo machines available today. Hitachi may have also marketed a similar version. I didn't purchase one primarily because of the universal motor and elected to go heavy iron. It seems as if several years later, the model stopped being available.

Harlan Theaker
05-17-2010, 2:26 AM
From the very little bit of information I've been able to find it seems as though they were never available here, or if they were, for a very short time.

He bought the machine used, just recently... I think he paid just under $500. I'm still waiting for him to get me some pictures and doing my best to find more info on this one.

Rick Fisher
05-17-2010, 6:04 AM
I have been in the building supply business my whole life.

20+ Years ago, Makita had a brown combo called a 2030. It had a 12" Planer and 6" Jointer.. They sold for about $2000.00 back then..

They also had a 16" planer, model 2040 .. I think it was about $1500.00

And I sorta recall a model 2020, which, I think was an 8" Jointer ..

The most popular was the 2030.. There where a bunch of models, including an "N" and "S" model ..

I never heard of a 2005, but if you get a picture, post it please.

We also sold the Hitachi Jointer planer.. It was always about 10% more money than the Makita..

Makita has all sorts of stuff which is not seen in North America. A huge line of really decent shop vac's and a huge selection of post and beam construction tools.. Most of it is simply not competitive in North America.. I figure the 2012nb planer will go that way soon as well.