PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Gloat

Joe Jensen
05-14-2010, 12:43 AM
I grew up in rural Iowa. About 10 years ago I helped my dad haul some large walnut logs to a local sawmill. My mom and dad drove from Iowa to Arizona to visit and they filled the bed of their pickup with Walnut. It was a Christmas gift years ago (more of a promise that I never expected to be fulfiilled). Here are some pics to prove it happened.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/AZEngineer/Felder%20KF700SP/Walnut/IMG_2188.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/AZEngineer/Felder%20KF700SP/Walnut/IMG_2189.jpg

Here stacked on the canitlever rack I recently built.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/AZEngineer/Felder%20KF700SP/Walnut/IMG_2190.jpg

Gary Breckenridge
05-14-2010, 12:58 AM
So where are the finished products ? :cool:

Peter Aeschliman
05-14-2010, 2:18 AM
wow, that is a lot of walnut!!

Don Morris
05-14-2010, 4:23 AM
You SUCK! What a beautiful truck. I had a friend donate some over 30 yr old cherry, about 1/10th that amount and I thought I was in heaven. With that much Walnut, how do you sleep at night figuring out ways to turn it into sawdust? Congratulations!

David Nelson1
05-14-2010, 5:01 AM
1+ on the You suck. LOL Great snag though.

Harold Burrell
05-14-2010, 7:03 AM
+1000 on the "YOU SUCK"

:D

Dave Gaul
05-14-2010, 7:16 AM
Would love to visit AZ some day... Let me know if your dad ever needs help hauling something again!!!:D

Nice gloat man! Can't wait to see some finished projects!

Carl Beckett
05-14-2010, 7:34 AM
I had a similar experience once with some wood brought to me in Oregon from family in Ohio. A long ways, but they were driving out anyway so filled up the truck. Nice.

I am curious about your tablesaw in the pick - it looks like a very nice sliding table saw. I notice you have it somewhat in the corner of the room (or who knows, if a small shop maybe that is the center?).

How is that location/position for handling sheets? I see most peeps position their saw in the center of the shop with plenty of space to the right - mine is a relatively short fence (26") and I currently have it jammed into a 1 car garage but am moving it to a larger shop area and trying to decide how to position it.

Wondering what it might take for the wife unit to bless me upgrading to a slider like that and leave my old saw in the garage......

Randy Gazda
05-14-2010, 10:32 AM
I grew up in southern Minnesota and we burned ash, maple, elm and yes walnut for firewood. I started woodworking in high school and with some help found a sawyer with a portable bandsaw mill. Needless to say I have a cache of hardwood in my dad's barn in MN, so I can totally relate.

I find it very cool to know where my hardwood came from and take it from tree to finished furniture.

By the way you may want to sticker that after coming from Iowa to AZ, that wood isn't done drying (adjusting). When I move wood from MN it is usually 10% (even after years of being stickered) and dries to 6-8% in Montana and yes it can still warp and twist while drying that last few percent.

Enjoy

bruce buren
05-14-2010, 10:48 AM
I grew up in rural Iowa too, but no such luck like that for me. :)

Brent Ring
05-14-2010, 12:11 PM
You Suck! But that looks to be some awesome stuff. Congrats!

Van Huskey
05-14-2010, 1:32 PM
Some very nice walnut!

John Pratt
05-14-2010, 1:33 PM
What is it with people from Iowa moving to AZ. There is a lot of relocated Iowans there. I grew up in Marshalltown (parents still live there) and my brother moved to AZ (just north of Phoenix). There is some beautiful walnut coming out of some parts of Iowa. Grandpa used to have a sawmill and I helped him on numerous ocassions run walnut through the saw. That is quite a haul and quite a drive for your folks to bring it down to you. Nice gloat.

Joe Shinall
05-14-2010, 3:17 PM
My dad loads up a bunch of old useless power tools and fasteners and brings them to me. You got better luck than I do.

tyler mckenzie
05-14-2010, 8:37 PM
great haul, time to put the felder to work!

glenn bradley
05-14-2010, 8:44 PM
Don't take this wrong but . . . . +1 on you suck. Nice haul.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/admin/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pnghttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=147964&thumb=1&d=1271047610

Joe Jensen
05-15-2010, 12:39 AM
I had a similar experience once with some wood brought to me in Oregon from family in Ohio. A long ways, but they were driving out anyway so filled up the truck. Nice.

I am curious about your tablesaw in the pick - it looks like a very nice sliding table saw. I notice you have it somewhat in the corner of the room (or who knows, if a small shop maybe that is the center?).

How is that location/position for handling sheets? I see most peeps position their saw in the center of the shop with plenty of space to the right - mine is a relatively short fence (26") and I currently have it jammed into a 1 car garage but am moving it to a larger shop area and trying to decide how to position it.

Wondering what it might take for the wife unit to bless me upgrading to a slider like that and leave my old saw in the garage......

My shop is a 3 car garage, 19.5 ft deep and 29 ft wide. There is a 3 ft deep step up that goes the width of the garage. I save enough space when the I don't have a large project under way to park a single car in the garage. The slide runs left to right in the shop. I decided that if I ran it front to back, it would split my shop in half and I would cuss every time I walked around the saw. I positioned the Felder KF700SP saw/shaper so that with the slider all the way to the outfeed end, it just misses the cabinets and RAS cutoff station that runs the entire left side of the garage. With the slider all the to the infeed side, there is still plenty of space. The slider needs about 21-22' to run full length. I build a cantilever wood rack on the step up at the front of the garage. It has 22" arms and there is 12" of space behind the rack where I store sheet goods. Full size sheets on the lower shelf stored vertically and smaller pieces on a second upper shelf. I designed the support height so that when I need to cut wider parts on the saw the wider parts will slide through the open space between shelves. I ordered the Felder with a 31" rip capacity meaning the rip fence. I assume that for anything wider I'll be using the slider. But I might need to split a 4 by 8 sheet into two 4 by 4 pieces. This open space lets that wider part slide between the shelves. The Felder is pretty much set that it's aligned with that 3 ft step. With the saw placed here I have the max floor space on the slider side of the saw.

As to the wife factor, the garage is my space and my wife just rolls her eyes. She is happy that I'm home in the shop and not out at bars or riding Harleys.