PDA

View Full Version : A matching set

GLENN THOMAS
05-13-2010, 11:26 PM
I thought I would play around with the idea of making sets of various items and this was my first try. The vase, finial and box are magnolia, the top of the box is oak. All the black was done with ink except for the oak top which was done with vinegar and steel wool. The red was RIT dye. The vase is about 10 or 11 inches tall.

Mike Willeson
05-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Very nice Glenn! They have a modern look to them and the colors compliment each other well.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Glenn,

As Mike said that has a very modern look. I am normally not a great fan of that style but I surely do like these pieces!

Well done sir!

alex carey
05-14-2010, 4:11 AM
both of those are great, Mike is right, they are very modern, especially that vase.

John Keeton
05-14-2010, 5:43 AM
Glenn, these go together very well! I like the play on the shapes, and the colors work great. I can't tell from the pic, but does the top surface of the vase mimic the "dished" curve on the top of the finial?

Roland Martin
05-14-2010, 6:41 AM
Very attractive set Glenn. Nice work.

Greg Coleman
05-14-2010, 7:07 AM
Glenn,
Please see my post on turning magnolia. I need some advice on turning some. Your input would be much appreciated.

The turnings, and coloring is beautiful.

Bernie Weishapl
05-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Really nice looking pieces.

Steve Schlumpf
05-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Very nice work Glenn! Both look great but the lidded box really stand out to me! Wonderful contemporary form - combined with the colors give it an oriental feel! Pretty cool!

Mike Minto
05-14-2010, 11:28 AM
very 'post modern', very cool. nice coloring job!

GLENN THOMAS
05-15-2010, 9:41 AM
Thanks for looking everyone and for the comments.

John,

The top of the vase is not scooped out quite like the finial and the two would probably be a better match if they did. The vase was actually an after thought and I made it about a week after the box. After I turned the vase I tried to ebonize it with vinegar and steel wool and it turned a chocolate brown. Not being very happy with the color and a few other thing I tossed it out into the yard by the firewood pile where it sat for a few days. As I walked past it one day I decide to give it another chance and the black ink covered some of the things I didn't like. I also noticed the picture I posted is a little off, not much just a little. The top portion of the vase appears wider than it actually is. I'm working on my photography. I think I should have stepped back and zoomed in instead if moving the camera so close to the vase and box.

GT

Mark Hubl
05-15-2010, 5:10 PM
Very cool Glenn. Love the look of the pieces together.

Joshua Dinerstein
05-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Very well done sir! I like the combination and carrying the theme thru the pieces. That's cool.

Joshua