PDA

View Full Version : Just a Sawmill creek thought.

Jamie Baalmann
05-13-2010, 10:45 PM
I don't know if i'm just not seeing the ability to. But i think it would be helpful to have a community search feature by state. That way we can find people in our area without having to make a discussion. "Who's in Kansas". Just a thought...It may help us help people in our area's. (Or get help from people in our area :D)

Kyle Iwamoto
05-14-2010, 3:25 AM
Edit your profile to say what state you're form is a start!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2010, 9:34 AM
Jamie,

First this has come up time to time and I'm not sure the software has this capability.

More importantly, there are a certain number of members who don't want their location identified for security reasons. That is the why they don't list their location in their User Profile.

Ken Garlock
05-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Ken, the search function handles states in spades. I did a search for Idaho and got several pages of hits. Hummm, I have no idea who does all the posting.;)

As for not wanting your state identified, there are so many ways to find a person on the Internet that not putting your state in your profile is like wetting your pants while wearing a black suit. No body notices, and it gives you a good warm feeling.:rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2010, 1:28 PM
Ken,

I won't mention who or where....but I met with a certain forum member. He doesn't use his real name....and he works for a company that does some pretty sensitive work for the US government...and he has a very very high security clearance and uses it daily. He doesn't want his name or his location divulged. Now you might do a search for his "handle" if you knew it but you won't find his real name or his location.

There are a number of folks who don't want their locations revealed and I don't think this website will ever provide the ability directly out of respect and courtesy to those folks.

And you are right Ken. As Moderators we have the capability of identifying and tracking trolls and returning trolls with new names. Keith as an administrator has the capability of blocking those same trolls. We do it regularly.

Matt Day
05-14-2010, 1:31 PM
I agree it would be nice to have an outlet to find local Creeker's, especially when there is no local ww'ing club in your area. I tried the search function (google search and the standard forum search) and didn't get far at all.

Larry Fox
05-14-2010, 2:05 PM
I won't mention who or where....but I met with a certain forum member. He doesn't use his real name....and he works for a company that does some pretty sensitive work for the US government...and he has a very very high security clearance and uses it daily. He doesn't want his name or his location divulged. Now you might do a search for his "handle" if you knew it but you won't find his real name or his location.

Kaiser Soze ??

Sorry - could not resist. :D

Vijay Kumar
05-14-2010, 2:33 PM
Well that gentleman could always use USA as his location. Since most of us have otherwise regular lives, I dont see what harm this could do.

Vijay

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2010, 2:48 PM
I guess I fail to see why anyone has to provide their location.

It's their privilege to keep that information to themselves as much as they can or so desire.

If they want to ....they can....if they don't ....they don't have to.

So what?

Nathan Palenski
05-14-2010, 3:00 PM
And you are right Ken. As Moderators we have the capability of identifying and tracking trolls and returning trolls with new names. Keith as an administrator has the capability of blocking those same trolls. We do it regularly.

Out of curiosity, how often is someone banned from the creek?

I guess I fail to see why anyone has to provide their location.

It's their privilege to keep that information to themselves as much as they can or so desire.

If they want to ....they can....if they don't ....they don't have to.

So what?

I dont think he's saying everyone would have to post their location, but if there was a better way to locate people who do choose to participate.

An ideal solution would be to start a frappr (http://www.platial.com/). People can post their name and location with any resolution from country to full address and it shows up on a map of the world. I'm a member of several boards where many people identify the city they live in and other members can see who's close. Frequently manufacturers post their address on them too. And again its completely optional.

Joe Shinall
05-14-2010, 3:07 PM
Just post a new thread asking for any members around your area. The ones who reply, add them to your friends. The ones that don't, probably aren't interested.

Matt Day
05-14-2010, 3:14 PM
I agree you shouldn't have to post your location either - I don't recall anyone saying you should have to.

I think it would be nice to offer an option to place your "thumbtack" on a world map if you wanted to, and you could see who is where and who's around you. It would be a neat graphic to see at the least. Again, not a mandatory thing.

lowell holmes
05-14-2010, 3:20 PM
Being from Texas, I'm proud of my location. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2010, 3:45 PM
Matt,

My statement was not aimed at you personally.

As Joe suggested start a thread and invite folks to reply. Those who reply....they want to play.

Nathan,

Regularly would be defined in this case "as needed" or "as required" and it's not taken lightly. It occurs when a member refuses to abide by the Terms Of Service. It is never based on the opinion of one Moderator or Administrator. It is discussed in the Moderator Forum. Usually more than one Moderator has tried PMing or emailing and convincing the Member/Contributor to please abide by the TOSs.

Regardless, my point was as to agree with Ken that we have a method of tracking and identifying those folks and we often are able to recognize them when they return under a new identity.

Believe me...it's never taken lightly and it's not fun. The heat we take from those kinds of individuals is a real pain.

Nathan Palenski
05-14-2010, 4:05 PM
Nathan,

Regularly would be defined in this case "as needed" or "as required" and it's not taken lightly. It occurs when a member refuses to abide by the Terms Of Service. It is never based on the opinion of one Moderator or Administrator. It is discussed in the Moderator Forum. Usually more than one Moderator has tried PMing or emailing and convincing the Member/Contributor to please abide by the TOSs.

Regardless, my point was as to agree with Ken that we have a method of tracking and identifying those folks and we often are able to recognize them when they return under a new identity.

Believe me...it's never taken lightly and it's not fun. The heat we take from those kinds of individuals is a real pain.

Oh I wasn't questioning the motives. Things here seem to be very well thought out and organized. I've not seen any members test the waters on purpose either. I know on some other websites the ban lists reach into tens of thousands. I couldn't see that being the case here.

Jamie Baalmann
05-19-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm certainly not trying to invade anyone's privacy by this. It would obviously have to be an option. Just a thought if it wouldn't work then it wouldn't work not a big deal. Just thought it would be nice. Sometimes you start a thread and if the desired respondees aren't online then it quickly moves down the list and is lost to newer posts. Thanks for at least giving it consideration

Will Overton
05-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Could you start a thread, asking those who want to, to list only their name and state. Then, you could use the 'search this thread' feature to locate folks from a particular state.

I'm not for or against the idea, just thought that this might work.

Michael MacDonald
05-19-2010, 3:21 PM
If I read this correctly, the point of the OP was a search feature on members' characteristics, such as location. The discussion mostly settled on whether members want to disclose their location.

Seems to me these are two separate conversations. It is an optional field, I thought, in the member characteristics. The location shows up on every post IF it is filled out.

I put my location as Chicago so no one would know I am an field operative working out of Wash DC with "business trips" to Kabul, Moscow and Lancaster, PA. (what is in lancaster you ask? you will never know.)

What is a troll, by the way? I take it trolls are bad.

Belinda Barfield
05-19-2010, 4:02 PM
Just a thought . . . go to the Social Groups on the Community dropdown. If there isn't a group for your area, start one.

Dave MacArthur
05-20-2010, 1:20 AM
KA-BOOM! Belinda scores with the un-breakable Atomic neck-hold response! Who knew?? Now I think I better take 30 minutes and click through all that header toolbar stuff to see what ELSE SMC has that I didn't know about!

Nicely done Belinda!