PDA

View Full Version : Free Spalted Wood

Rob Russell
11-20-2004, 3:49 PM
Yep - you read the title correctly - free spalted wood. I think it's oak, although there is a slim chance it's maple.

Some trees were cleared for development of a piece of family property near me. My uncle asked my if I wanted any of the trees for firewood (really too small to saw). I said yep. The logs have been there for a few years and I finally went up today to start getting them out of there.

I sure you can see this coming, but the logs aren't as fresh as they were a few years ago. One log looked like it had some nice spalting and wasn't punky. It seemed like it'd be big enough to cut some nice turning blanks out of, for those folks who like to do the spinny thing.

Attached are some pix of what I cut. There are 2 disks and the (4) chunks in the picture. The pix are of the (4) chunks + 1 of the disks, the ends of the (4) chunks and a closeup of (2) of the chunks. Hope they come out well. The chunks are about 14-15" on the flat and 3' long. The disks are and 8" thick by 13-14" diameter.

Either respond to this thread, PM me, or send an email. The only thing is - you have to pickup the wood in South Windsor, CT - I won't ship it.

Quantity available to any 1 person will be based on the number of responses by next Wed evening (Turkey Day Eve). If only 1 person responds, s/he gets it all. I'd like it out of my garage reasonably soon, so please don't ask me to sit on it until January.

Rob

Jim Becker
11-20-2004, 4:29 PM
Doh!! Sure do wish I lived around the corner...that's nice stuff for turning!!

John Shuk
11-20-2004, 8:04 PM
Looking at that I'd say it is a real good chance that it is Norway Maple. Nice stuff. Can't wait to see what "turns" up.

David Durgy
11-20-2004, 8:59 PM
Psst Bob. I'm down here. Little more to the left Bob. Yeah that's it, over by the water :). Will take any or all if you have time over the Turkey Weekend. Just picked up a lathe at a tag sale and I know a WW'er in Bloomfield who might want some of it too.

John Lach
11-21-2004, 8:06 AM
Hi Rob,

Yes you can count me in with David. Figure you can't live too far away as I'm in Bloomfield. :) As he said we'll take whatever is available.

Thanks,
John

Rob Russell
11-21-2004, 9:10 PM
I'll definitely be around most of next weekend. I may be out for some of the Friday AM specials, but only really early and that's depending on what the local retailers are doing as doorbuster specials.

Ernie Kuhn
11-22-2004, 1:07 AM
Rob,
I wished I still lived in Meriden. I'd be up there in a heart beat. Great looking wood. You need to make the gift conditional, the lucky recipients have to post end result pictures.
Ernie

Kurt Aebi
11-22-2004, 7:31 AM
Rob,

Great offer, and since you already have a coupla guys from CT already interested, I'll pass on this one. I have a few spalted Ash I got from a line crew to slab up.
Great to know there are good woodworking folk such as you within a reasonable distance.

One good woodworking folk to another from Southeastern Vermont.

Kurt

Joe Judge
11-22-2004, 2:00 PM
I'd drive over from Waltham, MA to pick up some logs !
I just emailed you.

-- joe

Peter Gavin
11-22-2004, 4:26 PM
What is "Spalted" wood? I'v got a bunch of Oak logs sittign in my back your from when I took down a tree (still round) but I couldn't see using it for wood working?

Thanks
Peter

Rob Russell
11-22-2004, 5:41 PM
Spalting is basically moldy wood. If you look at the ends of the log chunks and notice the dark lines that curve around through the logs, that's the spalting.