PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Gouge

Brad Hammond
04-02-2003, 11:44 PM
i'm getting tired of roughing things out with my spindle gouge.
any recommendations on bowl gouges?
thanx
brad

Philip Duffy
04-03-2003, 5:09 AM
If you are asking about spindle work, the biggest roughing gouge you can find works wonders. I keep mine sharp, use it across the span of work and fine-tune the surface with just one edge. Works almost as good as a skew. Try it! A big bowl gouge also works wonders on smaller diameter works. Phil

Richard Allen
04-03-2003, 8:59 AM
Hi Philip

For roughing out a spindle it is hard to beat a 1 1/4" or larger roughing gouge. Serious Lathe used to have a 3" and a 1 1/2". Bernie makes some nice tools for a very good price. The 1 1/2" went for $40, you make the handle. Last I heard Bernie was trying to sell the company. I haven't heard this directly from Bernie or Serious Lathe. If you can get the 1 1/2" goughing gouge from him that would be a splendid tool for rouging down spindles.

There are also forged spindle gouges which can be a delight to use when roughing spindles as well as for coves and sweeping tapers.

If you want a bowl gouge for roughing down bowls the a 1/2" (5/8" North American measure) is a nice all around bowl gouge size. There are several different flute shapes found on bowl gouges. "V" "U" and these fluts shape can be lower or higher in the steel. I find the "U" shaped flutes clear chips easer but "V" shaped flutes are stiffer and can work father over the tool rest. The profile of the cutting edge can varry a lot and the flute shape can have a bearing on the posible shapes for the cutting profile.

Thanks

Brad Hammond
04-03-2003, 11:26 AM
i think i'll look into the 1 1/2er.
thanx again
brad