PDA

View Full Version : Elbo Hollowing Setup?

Greg Bender
05-13-2010, 9:02 PM
I'm looking to get a hollowing setup and have honed the choices down to the Elbo Tool system.Wondering what anyody who has one thinks of it after using it.What kind of safe reach dimensions does it possess?Thanx in advance for any and all info.
Greg

Reed Gray
05-14-2010, 12:30 AM
I don't have it, but have the Monster. It looked like the better tool at the time. For depth, you can go 6 inches fairly comfortably, but it starts to chatter a bit after than. I have gone deeper using the Kelton hollowing blades in the coring handles, and then used the Monster and one of the carbide discs for finish cuts. The Kobra (I don't know if they are out again or not) looked more heavy duty, and claimed to be able to go 12 inches. Smaller cutters will let you go deeper, but are slower.

robo hippy

charlie knighton
05-14-2010, 2:21 AM
i have the elbo hollower, also agree with Reed that like the monster the elbo hollower starts to chatter after about 6 to 8 inches depending on the wood. i have the square bar but there is a round bar offered. i have done up to 10 to 11 inches but handholds are limited the farther you go. i like to look at other vendors tools, but am very happy with the elbo tool and have not opened the wallet for any thing else. i have been using it for at least 3 years of hobbie turning. i first used it with a delta and now with a jet lathe.

Al Stramiello
05-14-2010, 5:11 AM
I've had my Elbo the same length of time as Charlie. I've been happy with mine.

But, if you have the time . . . . why not build your own? That's what I wish I had done.

Don Geiger
05-14-2010, 3:15 PM
I have two of the Kobra Hollowing systems (one green and one red). The red one is pictured below. About 10 of my friends and I in Florida have these. This is a magnificent system! They have a lot of options to choose from. They are available from Jerry Arnold at: 765-534-4437.

Don Geiger

charlie knighton
05-14-2010, 3:33 PM
Don,

not to change the subject, what is that on your spindle, or is that your spindle?

Don Geiger
05-14-2010, 5:43 PM
Hi Charlie:

The spindle is at the top of the photo. There is nothing on it. The lathe is a Stubby 750 that I've had for 10 years.

charlie knighton
05-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Don,

i have never turned on a Stubby, seen some but never been shown the highlights of the lathe

i do not see any threads on the spindle, is that something else i am not aware of???????

back to hollowing, that setup for hollowing in the picture seems to be on a short bed????????? unusal to me, or another aspect of my ignorance of a stubby

the elbo tool i use on 42 inch long bed on the jet, while i have inches to spare i use most of it, the end attaches to the tailstock

Greg Bender
05-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Al,
making my own was exactly what I've been toying with.I have a milling machine so it would not be impossible.I just need to get some measurements of the various parts and taa daa!

Don,
does Kobra have a web site? Is that setup mostly anodized aluminum.It is probably lighter but does it flex or chatter on you.Seems to have alot of joints,is access inside the turning better?

Thanx for the feedback,if anybody has the time to give me a rundown on dimensions,PM me and I can call you.It would be easier I would think.
Thanx,Greg

Don Geiger
05-15-2010, 4:14 AM
Hi Charlie:

Yes. It's got 1-1/4" X 8 threads. Maybe what you are looking at is the shoulder behind the threads. Some lathes just have a shaft coming out, but a Stubby has a large integrally-machined shoulder for accessories go against when threaded onto the spindle.

The Kobra works well on short bed lathes because it has several short sections that, when folded up to it's shortest length, is only about 10" long. It can also be used anywhere between it's fully extended position toward the headstock or toward the tail stock. This gives it a huge travel overall. The bearinged joints are so well built that is almost no drop when fully extended.

Notice the yellow edged off-set plate. I had Jerry custom-build this for me. Now it is a feature of all systems. It moves the initial pivot point to a location behind the bed. In fact, the yellow plate pivots 360 degrees to anywhere I want it. The off-set plate give me more reach to get the tool underneath the opening of hollow forms. I can also mount it to my perpendicularly mounted auxilary bed which moves the pivot point way behind the lathe.

I'll post a couple of photos later that will help explain what I'm talking about.

Don

Don Geiger
05-15-2010, 1:18 PM
Charlie:

Here is a photo showing the Kobra fully retracted. Note: it will also extend fully toward the tail stock and head stock.

Also, another photo showing the Kobra with offset plate (painted yellow) mounted to the auxilary bed that comes with the Stubby. The auxilary bed will mount in 5 poistions on the lathe (each pependicular to the bed). This, coupled with the fact the off set plate rotates 360 degrees on the bed, gives me a lot of flexibility.

Th Kobra comes standard with a 1" diameter solid hollowing bar. I can hollow up to 15" deep with it. I have adapters for several other diameters of bars too.

Don Geiger

Cyril Griesbach
05-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Al,
making my own was exactly what I've been toying with.I have a milling machine so it would not be impossible.I just need to get some measurements of the various parts and taa daa!

Don,
does Kobra have a web site? Is that setup mostly anodized aluminum.It is probably lighter but does it flex or chatter on you.Seems to have alot of joints,is access inside the turning better?

Thanx for the feedback,if anybody has the time to give me a rundown on dimensions,PM me and I can call you.It would be easier I would think.
Thanx,Greg

Greg, let me try to answer you. Like Don, I have both of the Kobra sizes however, Jerry Arnold told me recently when he was here in Wisconsin that they no longer make the small size. The Kobra is made entirely of steel. It is very precisely engineered and machined with bearings in each joint. Also available is a one inch boring bar with tips for holding cutters at straight, 22 1/2 degrees and 45 degree angles. There are also available inserts for adapting your existing hollowing tools to the one inch bore in the end of the unit. This tools is heavy, well made and no it's not inexpensive but it is a most excellent captured hollowing system. It's made by Jerry Arnold and Al Crandel on a limited basis. These two retired machinists don't really want to go back to full time work. There is no web site but if you call Jerry at the number Don listed above I'm sure he will be glad to talk to you about it and send you some specs.

Cyril

Greg Bender
05-19-2010, 8:07 PM
Cyril,
Thanx for the info.Knowing now that it is steel makes it a good choice.I originally thought it was aluminum and had my doubts as far as longevity.I will call and talk to Al or Jerry and see if I can't swing a Kobra setup.I like the idea of being able to use the various boring and hollowing tools that I have made for myself.Thanx again,
Greg

Bill Blasic
05-20-2010, 6:57 AM
I have the Monster Hollowing System and the more I use it the more I like it. Recently I have gotten an adapter from Randy Privett to allow me to use 3/4" tools. While in Provo last week I bought all the McNaughton curved tools for use with the system. I've had no problem going 10" deep with the tools that came with it. Randy recently upgraded the laser and that made it even easier to use. I use this system with my 3520b, my DVR and the 46-460 and 1220 jet as I got bases that are colored the same color of each lathe. This system has made hollowing a pleasure.
Bill