PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 1023RL Alternative?

Joe Leigh
05-13-2010, 8:57 PM
Got off the phone with the Grizzly rep today and she couldn't tell me if my saw (order placed Feb 26) would be included in the tentative June 25 shipment. The policy is to fill back orders first, which is understandable, but they have no idea where I fall in the queue.

Got me thinking of a few alternatives. came across this new model by Jet. The 708674PK. Same specs as the Grizzly, blade shroud for better dust collection, poly v-belt, and quick release riving knife. The Jet also has a storage drawer in the cabinet, a larger cast iron table, and a slightly larger rip capacity (30" compared to 26" for the Griz)

The saw is $1750 delivered WITH residential lift gate service included.

Anyone seen this model? Is the Jet worth the extra $$?
Any insight is appreciated.

Van Huskey
05-13-2010, 9:19 PM
Got off the phone with the Grizzly rep today and she couldn't tell me if my saw (order placed Feb 26) would be included in the tentative June 25 shipment. The policy is to fill back orders first, which is understandable, but they have no idea where I fall in the queue.

Got me thinking of a few alternatives. came across this new model by Jet. The 708674PK. Same specs as the Grizzly, blade shroud for better dust collection, poly v-belt, and quick release riving knife. The Jet also has a storage drawer in the cabinet, a larger cast iron table, and a slightly larger rip capacity (30" compared to 26" for the Griz)

The saw is $1999 delivered WITH residential lift gate service.

Anyone seen this model? Is the Jet worth the extra $$?
Any insight is appreciated.

Just for reference you can get the saw from Tools-plus for $1870.

I like the Jet, good saw, not sure it is worth the full difference in price though. Any reason why the Griz 690 isn't on your radar?

Rich Johnson
05-13-2010, 9:26 PM
Is this the Jet your talking about?

http://www.tools-plus.com/jet-708674pk.html

Joe Leigh
05-13-2010, 9:28 PM
I did consider the 690 before I decided on the 1023RL but I liked the idea of the poly v-belt and I thought the blade shroud was a major improvement for dust collection. The new Jet model has both of these features.

Joe Leigh
05-13-2010, 9:30 PM
Is this the Jet your talking about?

http://www.tools-plus.com/jet-708674pk.html

That's the one

Rich Johnson
05-13-2010, 9:33 PM
Yea but its only 30 inch right of blade. I like the 50 inch plus ones.

Joe Leigh
05-13-2010, 9:43 PM
The new Grizzly 1023RL, which I'm comparing this to, is only 26" rip capacity. This is the newest model Jet Xacta saw.

Van Huskey
05-13-2010, 10:08 PM
I am still getting $1864 but if you get a cheaper price so much the better!

Since it is easy to spend your money Equipment sales and service has the 30" PM2000 w/ 5hp motor for less than $2300.

Jesse Wilson
05-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Just an FYI I asked the very same question and I was told that there were "plenty" coming in on the first shipment to cover all orders. In fact she kind of chuckled which gave me the distinct impression that there were many coming in. Now that it has been pushed back I would probably say there will be even more coming in all at once.

Just for reference my order was place the end of March and she said mine would definitely ship in the first shipment.

Just keep a hold of them horses....

scott spencer
05-14-2010, 6:47 AM
The new Grizzly 1023RL, which I'm comparing this to, is only 26" rip capacity. This is the newest model Jet Xacta saw.

It's pretty simple to slide the rails to the right by about 10", to get 36" capacity from the Grizzly. Since it's a left tilt saw, you're not likely to ever need left side capacity.

I'm sure the Jet is a nice saw, but the only significant benefit I see to merit a premium is a longer warranty and dealer support. What is GI and Rikon offering these days?

Joe Leigh
05-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Just received a call from a supervisor at Grizzly. She heard of my concern about the delivery delays, Ms Bryant I think her name was, anyway, she called to tell me the projected June 25 date was NOT firm. Probably be a bit later but couldn't say how much later.
So I called Tool Zone to see about the lead time on the Jet Xacta Deluxe previously mentioned and I'm told I'm looking at early July! None in the country.

So, looks like no relief in sight for a 3hp cabinet saw with riving knife and blade shroud.
Except for the Powermatic PM2000, which is back ordered as well.

Glad I don't need this saw right away.....

Van Huskey
05-14-2010, 1:26 PM
Just received a call from a supervisor at Grizzly. She heard of my concern about the delivery delays, Ms Bryant I think her name was, anyway, she called to tell me the projected June 25 date was NOT firm. Probably be a bit later but couldn't say how much later.

So I called Tool Zone to see about the lead time on the Jet Xacta Deluxe previously mentioned and I'm told I'm looking at early July! None in the country.

So, looks like no relief in sight for a 3hp cabinet saw with riving knife and blade shroud.
Except for the Powermatic PM2000, which is back ordered as well.

Glad I don't need this saw right away.....

I know you said you didn't need it right away but did you try Tools-plus they sometimes have some in stock and are close to you. Further try calling Equipment Surplus and Sales I am willing to bet they have some PM2000s in stock if not a Jet, the shipping MAY effect that idea since their "deals" are not drop shipped. They buy lots of surplus from WMH and get oddball configurations sometimes, like the PM2000 I bought with a US made Baldor motor for hundreds LESS than the Taiwan make motor version would have cost me.

Joe Leigh
05-14-2010, 2:21 PM
I called them and their lead time is 2 weeks. Their shipping is virtually free at $6.50 but the saw is not discounted. Their price is $2k.

Rod Sheridan
05-14-2010, 2:43 PM
Joe, Hammer is having a sale in the USA on their saw with an option package tailored for the US market.

http://www.feldergroupusa.com/

You might want to have a look...........Regards, Rod.

Van Huskey
05-14-2010, 2:47 PM
I called them and their lead time is 2 weeks. Their shipping is virtually free at $6.50 but the saw is not discounted. Their price is $2k.

Thats weird since I assume you are talking about tools-plus that my cart shows it at 1864.00 without shipping which is 6.50 and includes residential liftgate for WMH machines.

Prashun Patel
05-14-2010, 3:00 PM
You can always get a Sawstop...
I ordered one from Hermance on Friday, and had it by Tuesday.

Joe Leigh
05-14-2010, 3:53 PM
Thats weird since I assume you are talking about tools-plus that my cart shows it at 1864.00 without shipping which is 6.50 and includes residential liftgate for WMH machines.

Yes, $1864.00 I just checked and spoke to a rep, the rails system is on backorder until early July. Another dead end. I may just order it from Tool Zone, it's cheaper and the wait is the same. The Felder and SawStop, while great saws, are out of reach.

David Helm
05-14-2010, 4:34 PM
I stop in to the Grizz store every other week. The date isn't confirmed but they seem to think it should be here around the June date. I ordered the RLX with 50 inch fence so the rip size isn't a problem.

Jeff Mackay
05-14-2010, 11:19 PM
When I was looking at saws back in March, Jets were on backorder because of the rails. They promised end of May. Sounds like both are plagued by supply chain issues.... I bought a G0691 instead.

Van Huskey
05-15-2010, 1:41 AM
When I was looking at saws back in March, Jets were on backorder because of the rails. They promised end of May. Sounds like both are plagued by supply chain issues.... I bought a G0691 instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if the economy didn't cause some of this. When you slow down orders from a factory you don't own that factory tries to fill the production slots any way it can. Then when you try to ramp back up the factory may still be doing other things. This is only a guess but I have seen it in two other areas in the last year, in one of the cases one company just started stacking the warehouse another cut off supply, the former made a killing and drew a lot of new accounts when demand picked up the latter company is reeling. With WMH it seems to happen every time they have one of their across the board percentage sales, several of the "key" machines seem to become scarce for a while. With machines it can get really bad because no store wants to carry a lot of stock (if any), it eats room and capital so when the company supply runs out there isn't stock at the retail level to carry demand until the aupply chain catches back up.

Rich Johnson
05-20-2010, 4:31 PM
Did you pull the trigger on the Jet?

Joe Leigh
05-25-2010, 7:34 AM
Well I made the call last night. I'm canceling the Grizzly order and I've placed my order for a new Powermatic PM2000. Got what I think is a good deal. $2295 for the 3HP 30" machine, no tax and free residential lift gate delivery service. Also threw in a free low profile riving knife. 2-4 week delivery (can't get it quicker than that anywhere in the country). They say I'll have it buy July 1.
This 3 month wait has given me a lot of time to think about my options, and after reading pages of posts here and around the internet it's pretty clear that the PM2000 is a great machine. I know it's almost twice the price as the Grizzly, but this is a lifetime investment, and as someone here said (I think it was Van Huskey) that difference spead over twenty years is negligable.

Rich Johnson
05-25-2010, 8:41 AM
Wow...well the Jet as you know is on backorder and isnt much less than that. Care to share who you purchased it from?

Joe Leigh
05-25-2010, 9:19 AM
Sure Rich, I got it from Tool Zone. I sent you a link to the page.

Joe Leigh
06-14-2010, 1:06 PM
Just a follow up to any with a new 1023R series saw on order. The new "expected" arrival date has been pushed back from June 25 to mid-late August. I know this affects more than few here.

Jesse Wilson
06-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Just a follow up to any with a new 1023R series saw on order. The new "expected" arrival date has been pushed back from June 25 to mid-late August. I know this affects more than few here.

Crap! Well I am glad I picked up that Jet of of craigslist to have something to use in the meantime. A few more months of patience isn't too much to ask for a saw that will last me the next 20+years I guess.

Jesse