PDA

View Full Version : Air filter placement...

Michael Dunn
05-13-2010, 7:19 PM
I am building a 465cfm AFD. I have much flexability in where to locate it. Pretty much the entire ceiling is up for grabs as well as the upper portion of two of my walls.

I plan on installing an HVAC unit on my west wall. I considered putting the AFD on the same wall. My concern is drawing all that dust near the HVAC. Is this something I should be concerned with?

I will most likely mount the HVAC unit near the ceiling on the west wall. I was thinking about putting the AFD about 2-3' away from the HVAC unit on the same wall.

Any do's or don'ts I should be aware of?

Thanx,

shotgunn

Paul Wunder
05-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Michael,

You may want to look at the mounting instructions for commercial units such as JDS or Grizzly for their guidance. Grizzly posts their manuals on line.

As I recall when first installing my JDS-750 some years ago, I believe they told me to mount it along the "long wall" of my shop, being sure to have about 5' of clear wall on the intake side. Also, my thought is that you would not want two competing air streams, therefore I would consider mounting the air filter on the opposite long wall.

Paul

Chris Damm
05-16-2010, 6:40 AM
I've always seen that you mount it high on the longest wall with the intake side about 1/3 from one other wall. This is supposed to give the best ciruclation.

Paul Wunder
05-16-2010, 8:29 AM
Chris,

I mounted mine high up near the ceiling along the long wall of my shop and it is also about 5-6 feet from an intersecting wall. JDS re commends high mounting, does not speak to obstructions. The Grizzly link below requires one foot clearance from obstructions.

http://cdn2.grizzly.com/manuals/g9956_m.pdf