PDA

View Full Version : Back at the lathe... finally!

Brian Greb
05-13-2010, 7:14 PM
So I recently have had a lot of distractions from turning. It all started when I got a super sweet deal on a new BS and DP($300 for the pair brand new!:D) As you all are aware when you get a new tool or two you have to make space... so I dismantled mt RAS to make space(it is now in a pile in the corner waiting for me to give it a new home. Then I had to make some new mobile bases. On top of all that I had/have a paying flat work job. So once the shop was back in order I thought I could get the flat work job done... Nope the day after I got the shop back to usable my dad goes in to the hospital for a kidney transplant... needless to say I was a bit distracted from all things woodworking related. He's doing well and returning home today, thanks for asking.

So while I was at the hospital I picked up a commission. A guy wanted a piece of cherry burl that he has had for 40 years turned in to a bowl. Well not wanting to screw this special piece of wood up' I turned a practice piece first... I call it the 2010 bowl, Its tulip poplar and is 9" in diameter. after having all the gremlins worked out on this piece I then turned the commission. As I said it is a 40 year old air dried cherry burl and it is 12" in diameter and 1 7/8" tall. I think it turned out well but it was nerve racking when I was turning it. I mean you can't just go to the hardwood supplier and get a new piece of sentimental cherry. Now I'm going to use the scraps from that cherry blank to turn some pens and 2 ornaments... but I got to get back to the flat work first.

Thanks for looking and as always C&C are welcomed and encouraged.

Steve Vaughan
05-13-2010, 7:23 PM
Glad your dad is doing well. Hope he has a complete and fast recovery! And it looks like you haven't missed a beat! The poplar and the cherry, both, are beautiful bowls and you done good!

John Keeton
05-13-2010, 7:59 PM
Brian, very nice work on both bowls, and that cherry burl is extremely nice!! You ended up with a great finish - what did you use?

Actually, the poplar bowl has a lot of nice color and character, as well. It is a very nice bowl in its own right, but that burl really shows great.

Thom Sturgill
05-13-2010, 8:08 PM
The burl is lovely. I was trying to figure out why the other was dated 1911 and then I read the text! Good job on both bowls, give your dad our best.

Bill Wilcox
05-13-2010, 8:35 PM
Very nice looking bowl! I really enjoy the thicker lip and the embellishments on the bottom. Could you please tell us what did you do on the bottom where the wood is lighter. Is that an inlay?
Thanks,
Bill Wilcox

Steve Schlumpf
05-13-2010, 9:11 PM
Both are really nice looking bowls but the Cherry is outstanding! Love the grain and the rich color! Seriously - very nice work!

Brian Greb
05-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Brian, very nice work on both bowls, and that cherry burl is extremely nice!! You ended up with a great finish - what did you use?

Actually, the poplar bowl has a lot of nice color and character, as well. It is a very nice bowl in its own right, but that burl really shows great.

Hey John,
The finish is my new old favorate, sand to 600 grit, then one coat of BLO burnished in, follow that with a rag coat of 1/4# cut shellac, toped off with Myland's friction polish.

Brian Greb
05-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Very nice looking bowl! I really enjoy the thicker lip and the embellishments on the bottom. Could you please tell us what did you do on the bottom where the wood is lighter. Is that an inlay?
Thanks,
Bill Wilcox

Hey there Bill,
The ring on the bottom of the Cherry Burl bowl is hard maple and it is inlay... It is also the remenints of my secraficial block. Recently I have started to put a dado in my work peice to recive the lip of my sacraficial block. It's a wee bit of extra work but it solved the seperation issues I've been haveing on larger blanks. I would have formed a tennon on the work peice but the blank lacked the thickness to do that.

Bill Wyko
05-14-2010, 1:49 AM
Very nice use of the wood. The taper off the sides really soften it beautifully. Good job

alex carey
05-14-2010, 4:09 AM
loving that cherry burl, beautiful.

Bernie Weishapl
05-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Those are really nice looking bowls. Glad to hear dad is doing well.

David E Keller
05-14-2010, 4:06 PM
Nice looking pieces. The first photo reminds me of the collection plate at church.

Great figure on the burled piece and a lovely finish.