PDA

View Full Version : DJ20 thoughts

Mike Cruz
05-13-2010, 5:48 PM
For those that have/had one, what are your thoughts? I might have an opportunity to pick one up. Love it? Hate it? Gold or lemon? I have a Delta 6" jointer now, and would love to upgrade to an 8". Mine is 5 years old, but I got it last fall from a guy who hadn't even put it together yet. So, for all practical purposes, it is new with very very low miles.

mark kosse
05-13-2010, 5:51 PM
I really like the one I have at school. It's a little older(37-315) but I assume the same in style. They look the same to me.

glenn bradley
05-13-2010, 5:58 PM
Same basic mold that Grizzly's G0490 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=144915&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1268409911) is poured from (just an expression). Older DJ-20's (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=144914&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1268409911) ran a 3/4HP motor but many folks run them original without complaint. Solid, proven design. If the tables should require any adjustment you'll have the parallelogram bed format working for you. I have a G0490X and am quite happy with it.

Dan Friedrichs
05-13-2010, 6:20 PM
Very easy to adjust. As long as the beds and fence are flat, you should be good.

Damon Stathatos
05-13-2010, 6:28 PM
I did the same thing you are thinking about, from the 6" Delta to the 8" DJ20. As soon as I switched, all of the boards that I wanted to run through were now just over 8". What the heck happened, before they were all just over only 6" ? Deltas are overpriced and for the same money or less, you should be able to find a 12" or 12+" jointer that will serve you better than the Delta. Better yet, look around for used and you'll do much better. Go for the widest and longest you can find / afford. Truthfully, jointers are not that technical and you should be able to tune just about any of them up to give yourself great results.

It reminds me of the advice a professional photographer once put out regarding purchasing a tripod and head. His advice was to buy the best set you could find, regardless of price. Otherwise, all of the tripods that you were going to buy leading up to that inevitable, ultimate purchase, would merely end up tripling your final cost.

Mike Cruz
05-13-2010, 8:00 PM
Actually, the one I am looking at is used. He is asking $500, but I think that might be a little high. The bed looks like it has slight surface rust, nothing major...I've dealt with that on a number of used purchases already. I suppose what I would need to know is if the tables are aligned properly.

Bill Davis
05-13-2010, 8:26 PM
I really like and get a lot of use from mine. I bought a second set of knives - a worthwhile accessory or necessity. I'd shatch it up if I were you. Even if you have to do a bit of fixing. If you get it at a better price so much the better.

Dan Friedrichs
05-13-2010, 9:05 PM
Don't worry about alignment - the beds are on eccentric bushings that make alignment easy (well, not EASY, but you don't have to shim anything - just twist all the bushings in the right combination).

Bring a good straightedge and check for flatness. Delta's spec was flat to within 0.008".

For reference, I sold my VERY well used one for $750. I think $500 seems like a good deal.

Jeff Duncan
05-13-2010, 9:08 PM
Prices vary by region...having said that if it's in decent condition it probably won't last long at $500.
Overall it's a very good machine, you won't very easily find anything better for $500.
good luck,
JeffD

Alan Schaffter
05-13-2010, 9:28 PM
Buy and put a Shelix on it.

Damon Stathatos
05-13-2010, 9:44 PM
Actually, the one I am looking at is used. He is asking $500, ..

Mike - sorry that I misunderstood. I thought you were thinking about a new one.

The price is a great price for it and even better if the knives are in decent shape.

My take on the difference after I 'upgraded' may seem obvious but the differences in the weight of the two machines, the length of the tables, the tracking and size of the fence, infeed table adjustment, and even the switch are notable. I always got good results from the smaller one and do on the DJ20 as well.

Lastly, I doubt that you'd have much of a problem getting what you'll pay for this one if you decide to upgrade in the future.

Myk Rian
05-13-2010, 9:55 PM
Actually, the one I am looking at is used. He is asking $500, but I think that might be a little high.
A fellow near Detroit has been trying to sell his for $1,000. Has had it on CL for several months.
$500 may be a good price for one.

Paul McGaha
05-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Mike,

A new Delta DJ-20 is currently selling for about $1,700.

If the condition is near new I would think $500 would be a great price.

From what I've read DJ-20's are well liked jointers.

Norm used one a lot.

PHM

glenn bradley
05-13-2010, 11:50 PM
I suppose what I would need to know is if the tables are aligned properly.

As Dan said, alignment can be corrected, flatness is your concern.

Mike Cruz
05-14-2010, 7:49 AM
Well, thank you, all. I might go look at it today, if it isn't already gone. I've moved on this as fast as I could so far. As soon as I saw the ad, I emailed him. He replied and I will call as soon as he is available. I'll let you know what happens.

Mike Cruz
05-14-2010, 3:02 PM
Well, thanks again, everyone. I picked it up and will post a "gloat" later this evening or tomorrow...I need pics to get gloat status...

Paul Johnstone
05-14-2010, 3:06 PM
Actually, the one I am looking at is used. He is asking $500, but I think that might be a little high. The bed looks like it has slight surface rust, nothing major...I've dealt with that on a number of used purchases already. I suppose what I would need to know is if the tables are aligned properly.

That sounds like a steal to me. Grab it if it is still available.

Great jointer. Some of the "clones" have had problems like belts flapping against the side, etc. As the other person said, aligning the tables is extremely easy. For $500, I don't see how you could go wrong.. Buy it :)

Edit: I see you already got it.. good job.

Alan Schaffter
05-14-2010, 3:28 PM
If you plan to attach a DC to the DJ-20 make sure you close off the top of the internal dust chute. Here is my SMC thread about it. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=86820) If you don't, your DC will be sucking more from the cabinet than from the bottom of the cutter head. Chips will collect on the floor and spit from the top and sides of the cutter head. This photo illustrates the problem:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/P2150083.JPG

Van Huskey
05-14-2010, 3:32 PM
Now it is time for a Byrd head with all the money you saeved... :D

John Shuk
05-14-2010, 3:35 PM
For $500 if it starts and stops and looks to be in pretty good condition you really can't go wrong. I'd buy it.

Larry Fox
05-14-2010, 3:43 PM
If you plan to attach a DC to the DJ-20 make sure you close off the top of the internal dust chute.

+1 on this. I have a DJ-20 and I bought it used from another Creeker a few eyars back. I absolutely love mine - great tool.

Mike Cruz
05-14-2010, 5:36 PM
Thank you Alan, I was wondering about that. I'll check out your thread.

Van, I WILL look into it. It needs some new blades anyway. Not sure how much new ones would be, but no sense in getting new blades, THEN getting the Byrd. Actually, I'm sure the old ones can get sharpened, they aren't terrible, but I'd want a second set for emergencies...

I'm gonna go take some pics before the storm hits.

Mike Cruz
05-14-2010, 9:23 PM
In case you are following this thread, but didn't see my "gloat" thread, I got it for $400! I posted pics on the other thread and will be posting "clean" pics when I've had a chance to gussy her up.

Mike Cruz
05-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Well, I got in the shop for about 45 minutes to clean 'er up. LOTS of clumped on grease to get off. Between the lower cabinet and the beds is a space that is FILLED with shavings. Guess they didnt' use any dust collection. Oddly enough, the shavings are both wood AND plastic. And the plastic is clear, and there is black plastic, too. Used some rust remover to test out what the bed will be like. Looks like it'll take some time, but ought to turn out nicely. I'll post pics when there is a significant difference. So far, I spent about 25 minutes with my air compressor, trying to blow out all those shavings and dust. Ugh, there is still more in there. I'm tempted to take it all apart to make getting that stuff out easier, but don't really look forward to the hassle of disassembling and reassembling it. I know, I know, it'll fill up later when I use it, but I like to get rid of others' dirt before I make my own...

Neil Brooks
05-15-2010, 11:53 AM
If you weren't thinking about it ... may want to take the ROS to it ... either with a Scotchbrite pad ... or fine grit abrasive ... or ?

Might save a LOT of elbow grease.

Guess I never thought to edge joint Lexan. Maybe I'm missing something... :confused:

Dave MacArthur
05-15-2010, 7:04 PM
Some links to help you set up your jointer, I have a DJ20 and these made it perfect and simple:
DJ20 adjustments:
http://www.woodworkergallery.com/happywoodworking/DJ20adjustments.html

jointer adjustments:
http://home.usmo.com/~rfwoodworking/jointer.html

Jointer adjustments
http://www.americanwoodworker.com/aspx/ContentDetail.aspx?ContentId=1041&PageNo=1

good luck!

Mike Cruz
05-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks, Dave, but only the middle one worked. Don't know why, but the other two "couldn't be found" type errors.