PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edge Bowl

Glenn Hodges
11-20-2004, 11:59 AM
This wild black cherry natural edge bowl is 16 1/4 inches wide X 9 inches high, finished with oil then buffed. The small cracks were filled with brass fillings from the hardware store where they make keys then zapped with thin CA glue. Comments and questions are welcomed.

Martin Shupe
11-20-2004, 12:44 PM
Beautiful!! I just love anything done in cherry, and your bowl is very, very nice. I just ordered Bill Grumbine's video, so I should be able to make one of those next week, the day after I get it. :D Well, maybe in a year or so...

Gary Max
11-20-2004, 1:12 PM
Glenn that is outstanding. You must have a big lathe to turn a bowl that big.
Maybe someday I will hit the lottery or strike oil.

Glenn Hodges
11-20-2004, 4:55 PM
I studdied under Mr. Bill, if you are new to turning I would think that buying his DVR would be a big help. I know I use his tips every day. I would imagine his DVR to be like his teaching, down to earth, easy to understand, practical, the kind you can take to the shop and use when you watch it, and you will probably get a lot more that what you pay for. Now these words are not an attempt to get a free video, or another free meal, but just a real satisfied Grumbine customer.

Thank you for the comments about the bowl I posted. I guess you can tell I really do like wild black cherry.

The lathe I use is just like the one Bill Grumbine uses, it is a Poolewood Euro 2000, with a 20 inch swing, and an outboard turner which I use often. With Mr. Bill's help in locating it, I was able to buy it used.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-20-2004, 4:58 PM
Brautiful stuff Glenn!

Bruce

Michael Stafford
11-20-2004, 5:55 PM
Glenn, your work is always beautiful and inspiring. The finish and depth in the cherry is so rich. Did you use your secret witch's brew to finish? What did you sand to? Thank you for sharing...

Glenn Hodges
11-20-2004, 6:04 PM
Thanks Michael, yes I used the witches brew for the oil finish, and I sanded to 800 grit. I believe Mr. Bill is selling DVD's rather than DVR's, my, mistake. The bowl was turned about a year ago, and has taken on that dark rich color that I like with wild cherry. I am turning some of the same tree today which is now spalted, and it has some beautiful surprises. These bowls will not be natural edge bowls. I wonder if anyone has tried to dry a natural edge bowl with the new alcohol method?

John Shuk
11-20-2004, 8:11 PM
Glenn,
Nice work as always. You are pretty inventive when it come to those cracks! first coffee now brass what won't you use?

Steve Clardy
11-20-2004, 8:11 PM
Very nice bowl!!!

Dave Brandt
11-20-2004, 8:42 PM
WOW! :eek: Beautiful!

John Miliunas
11-20-2004, 8:43 PM
That's just gorgeous, Glenn! :) I'd say you must've been one of Bill's more outstanding students! Got the DVD on order and, if it can get me even a little part of the way there, money well spent! :) Always have enjoyed your work and this is no exception! Keep those pics coming! :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
11-21-2004, 10:02 AM
Glenn.....that bowl is a piece of art....absolutely gorgeous! I don't do spinny things (yet) and after observing your work I don't know if I want to.....you set the standards too high!

Wolf Kiessling
11-21-2004, 11:26 AM
The word that comes to mind immediately is OUTSTANDING. That wild black cherry is just beautiful and the workmanship ain't bad either....

Glenn Hodges
11-21-2004, 1:05 PM
Thanks again for all your kind remarks, you all have me blushing. I can not take credit for the wood, it was given to me by a neighbor, Mr. E. Hendley. I give him credit for the wood on the bottom of each bowl I make from the wood he gave me. He died one month ago, but his name will live for a long time....as long as these wild black cherry bowls from his farm last.