PDA

View Full Version : CMT blades, shaper cutters, etc

Mike Reinholtz
05-13-2010, 4:57 PM
Anyone have experience with CMT blades and cutters? I don't know much about them and would like to know how they compare to Freud or Amana. In particular I'm looking at the shaper cutter systems and raised panel inserts.

Thanks!

Troy John
05-13-2010, 5:57 PM
I have the Freud carbide insert sets (RP-1000, RS-1000, and DE-320T) they work great for making doors. Im not too sure about their style and rail set, it seems they dont have their tolerances right and tight. I modified my set to get it to match better and the style wasnt perpendicular to the rail the way the factory had it. But the panel and edge set have been great, once you buy the cutter head its only about $30-$40 to change profiles.
I have been looking into the CMT and Amana 40MM sets that take the HSS inserts. The problem I see is that the majorty of their stock profiles are worthless and I would want to have custom sets ground that might get costly quick. Also being out of HSS steel they wont last long and cutting MDF is out of the question.
I would like to find a small copy grinder to make or sharpen my own knives, A simple grinder with a copy pin that follows a template made from plastic which transfers that pattern to the grinder and knife. Any suggestions?

glenn bradley
05-13-2010, 6:43 PM
CMT came in behind 11 others but as good as or better than the remaining makers in a FWW test. End cuts in knot-free sugar maple, black cherry, red oak, and eastern white pine were run along with 100 feet of MDF across a router table via a power feeder to test performance and edge retention.

Whiteside and Eagle were their top picks but, FWW has had some odd review results in the past that make me use them as info but not the last word. Amana and Freud came in just behind BC Saw which I have not tried yet. Many folks here seem to like CMT. I have only found them so-so. Whiteside (reasonably priced and American made), Freud (great edge retention) and Amana (pricey, but I pick them up when on sale) are my choice in that order. YMMV.

Rod Sheridan
05-14-2010, 9:33 AM
Hi Mike, I have one of the ubiquotous 40mm insert heads made out of steel, not aluminum.

The HSS knives work very well, and produce a superior quality cut in solid woods, obviously no plywood or MDF.

The knives seem to be good for 500 to 700 linear feet of material, then they need sharpening or replacing.

Have a look at the profiles that are stocked and see if you could use them for what you want. It may require a couple of passes using different knives depending upon what profile you want.

I would expect that the CMT knives would be as good as Dimar, Felder etc, and may be made by the same manufacturer.

The insert head gives good value in cutters, depending upon your shaper size you may want to purchase the 100mm or even 150mm steel head.

Regards, Rod.