PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop owners

Jay Jolliffe
05-13-2010, 2:42 PM
I'm looking into a new table saw because of my last accident. A little info would help. Did you buy it on-line or through a store. What would you get with it now that you've had it for awhile that you didn't get with it.

Rick Prosser
05-13-2010, 2:50 PM
I bought my PCS from a local tool supply store with 52" rails. I originally did not buy the integrated mobile base because I did not intend to move it around much, but I went back and got the base - it really makes it easy to move.

If you have tight quarters, and go with long rails, you may consider a universal mobile base that has 4 swivel wheels. The integrated base has two swivel wheels, but I have room to wiggle around.

Philip Rodriquez
05-13-2010, 2:56 PM
I have an ICS, the SS mobile base (which rocks), 52” rails, a dado brake, and a ZCI for the dado. Since then, I’ve added an Excalibur BG and sliding table. I’ve had it for a couple of years now and I wouldn’t change a thing.

BTW, the dado brake is required if you run one.

Victor Robinson
05-13-2010, 3:13 PM
Bought my still-in-the-process-of-being-setup-PCS from my local Rockler. You can't purchase the saw online unless there is a reseller in your state that sells it online.

Personally, being able to buy online (especially for accessories I didn't purchase initially like dado brake and insert) would have been convenient but it's not possible right now.

Mitchell Andrus
05-13-2010, 3:47 PM
Jay, I'm also eyeing up a SS. Keep in mind that the tables are different sizes on the different models. I thought I'd go for the PCS, but the larger table and better stability for larger pieces on the ICS may be worth the extra clams.

Peter Aeschliman
05-13-2010, 6:38 PM
I have the PCS. I got the mobile base and long rails. The mobile base is awesome.

If you get the ICS, make sure to get the dust-collecting blade guard as an accessory. That's probably the only thing the PCS has on the ICS.

The dust collection on the PCS is incredible.

johnny means
05-13-2010, 6:47 PM
A bottle of white lightning makes brake changing a lot easier for me. Apply a few drops to the bearing surfaces of the cartridge.

When I get another SS I'll buy a Unifence instead of the SS fence. The plywood faces may or may not be flat and are impossible to straighten if not.

Van Huskey
05-13-2010, 7:25 PM
A bottle of white lightning makes brake changing a lot easier for me.

White lightning usually makes everything HARDER for me, save falling down... :D

Matt Kestenbaum
05-13-2010, 8:30 PM
I've had my PCS with integrated mobile base and 52" rails for about 6 months. I bought an extra blade brake, a Dado brake and dado-zci...had them delivered with the saw from my sort-of-local dealer (not too many choices in NJ). I can't think of anything I would buy differently, except maybe getting moving right away to a super premium combo blade...I used the blade that came with it for a while and its pretty cheap stuff.

BTW...very sorry to see your post about the accident. It was a strong reminder to me to stay careful and vigilant in the shop.

One tip for you in the future and other current owners...I got from Customer service on the phone...use a US Nickel to gauge the gap between blade and brake...and a t-handle allen wrench to adjust. The yellow plastic thing gets chewed up pretty fast and nickel allows you to feel very clearly the moment the blade is just touching. T-handle keeps fingers clear.

One more thought...Philadelphia Furniture Workshop (I like their shop and classes) has a ICS...an early one with a 7 HP (I believe) motor and has seen constant use for several years. They didn't care for the fence system and set it up with a Biesemeyer fence and rails. When I used feeler guages and a Starrett combo square to check the fence on my PCS I found one face at about .006" off of dead-square to the table on the right face, but at less that half a human hair's thickness...I am not a machinist and wouldn't bet on my ability to measure at that level accurately anyway. I don't even think I have a made a cut using that side of the fence yet! And I measure the left face at less than .002". I digress!

Kyle Iwamoto
05-13-2010, 9:34 PM
I have the ICS. The above the table dust collection is, well, there is none. I would have to second or third the purchase of the mobile base. Having 4 wheels swivel makes it a lot easier to jockey around. That is a must purchase, even if you don't plan to move the saw IMO. I'm also planning to get the tool-less insert. Not sure if they come with it now. PITA to take off that allen screw to swap out the guard and riving knife.

I'd still buy one. It's an awesome saw.

Alan Lightstone
05-13-2010, 11:13 PM
I recently bought the contractor saw with the mobile base. I regret not buying the cabinet saw for the better dust collection.

Other that that, the saw rocks. Totally. It's hard to explain just how good the installation instructions and packaging are with the saw. I've never seen anything like it. I invited a few friends over just to show them the packaging.

Keith Albertson
05-13-2010, 11:16 PM
I've had my PCS for 3 months. I am a home hobbyist, but this saw makes me feel like I'm in the professional leagues! I love everything about it, including the safety features. Just a few points:

1. Go long, if you have the room. The move up from a 32 inch fence to 52 inch fence has been fabulous.

2. Get the mobile base. I got the ICS mobile base with the four moving wheels, and it makes positioning the saw easy.

3. Buy a dado cartridge and an extra regular cartridge. Due to some setting up errors, my first brake discharged. Because I had an extra one on hand I was able to troubleshoot the problem with the help of sawstop customer service, and get back to work fast. (Sawstop replaced the cartridge free of charge, but you have to have a functioning cartridge to be able to trouble-shoot it).

4. I second some of the comments about the fence. While I would go 52 inches, I would probably prefer either a true beisimeyer fence or unifence (which is the one thing I loved on my old saw). The sawstop fence is heavy, I think the cursor line is too thick, and my fence faces are not as flat as I think they should be (still working on this issue.)

5. Buy a few zero clearance inserts to have on hand. There is no way to make these yourself....perhaps my only complaint about the sawstop.

6. Keep a few nickels around the shop, as already mentioned.

7. The riving knife and blade guard (with dust collection) are very easy to use and move on the PCS, and will proably prevent as many accidents as the brake.

8. I bought my PCS from my local Woodcraft. They were able to skip a shipping charge by ordering several PCS's at once ( I think it was 3). By waiting a week to meet that quota, I didn't have to pay a stiff shipping fee. They helped me put the saw in my car (truck would have been better) but I was on my own unloading it. Be sure to have a few buddies on hand to get it into the shop.

9. I had a heck of a time leveling the extension wings. Search the creek for some good tips on doing this!

10. Customer service will help you with anything. There are no stupid questions as far as they are concerned (though I felt stupid asking some of questions!!!). Don't be shy about calling them. They are great.

Alan Lightstone
05-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Oh, yeah, that's true. Leveling the extension tables by yourself is difficult. The instructions do say it's easier with 2 people. They're right.

Peter Aeschliman
05-14-2010, 2:23 AM
yep... I still don't have mine quite right and I spent a lot of time on them (by myself!).

james bell
05-14-2010, 7:45 AM
i picked up mine from woodcraft a few weeks ago. i did not go for the mobile base (i like my tools about 42" high) so purchase four 5" full swivel/brakes from woodcraft on sale and put them on a 2x4 base. Put a couple of stop blocks inside to keep the cabinet from shifting off the base and all set.

I also had to replace the extension table legs, and put smaller casters on these.

I agree with the comments on zero inserts - was planning to make some but maybe I can't. will confirm this.

I also expected something to connect the blade guard to the main dust port - heard months ago they were coming out with something. You would think they would have had something by now. I looked into pvc/conduit, but it turns out to be too heavy running down the saw and back around to the port. So I took my excalibur overhead "dust thing" from my unisaw and mounted it to the sawstop using a spare mini shop vac hose connected to the blade guard and duct taped into the excalibur.

Joe Mioux
05-14-2010, 8:55 AM
I have the ICS with the accompanying mobile base. It works very well.

Get the dado brake, unless you have a separate saw for dadoes.

Get the long table if you have room.

The only thing I want but don't have is the dust collecting table saw cover. I don't have it because it was not available when I bought my ICS two years ago this month.

Would I buy it again. Yes.

joe

Alan Lightstone
05-14-2010, 9:26 AM
What's the point of the table saw dust collecting cover. I couldn't figure out that one with my contractor saw. Looks like it took a hose outlet, and converted it into a hose outlet. What was I missing?

Will Overton
05-14-2010, 9:39 AM
The early blade guards did not have a dust collection port. Now, they have one that does, but it is not standard on all saws. As an option it is about $130.

NICK BARBOZA
05-14-2010, 9:42 AM
Jay,

Sorry to hear about your accident. I purchased my nearly 3 years ago from Western Tool Supply here in Bangor. They are no longer around... so either Rockler in Portland, or Woodcraft in Portsmouth NH.

NH Bragg carries their line now; 947-8612. Paul is the one you should speak with at the Bangor store. I am pretty sure that they will deliver too.

I Have the ICS w/52" rip. I got the mobile base which is AMAZING!!! You will enjoy the saw, whichever model you get!

Good Luck!
Nick

Shawn Pixley
05-14-2010, 9:57 AM
Went through woodcraft. Got the contractor saw mobile base, cast iron wings, & 36" extension. Ruthlessly stole Jim Becker's outfeed table design and enclosed the base for better Dust collection. and built storage under extension wings.

My Saw needs to move every time I use it (garage where I still park cars). The PCS wasn't available when I got mine, but that is what I would get if doing it today. Saw and fence are true and tuned up. You have been given a lot of good advise here.

Thomas L. Miller
05-14-2010, 4:24 PM
I bought my 3hp ICS with 52" table and mobile base from Woodcraft in Dallas. I added an Incra 5000 miter sled. I wouldn't change anything. I've used a Jet cabinet saw. My SS replaced a Craftsman (1990 vintage) contractor's saw rated at ~0.75 hp. I got impatient and bought the ICS just before the PCS came out. I got a chance to use a PCS at Kelly Mehler's school late last year. I'm glad I got the ICS for it's size and mass, but the PCS is a really nice saw as well.

Mike Leung
05-14-2010, 4:57 PM
I also have a ss ics. I am very pleased with the quality and precision so far. The only thing that annoyed me was the super long fence lock handle. I kept bumping into it when I walked by. I replaced it with a ball and short shaft. It is very nice to use now. I'm a car nut and I feel it is like a short shifter for my car. :)
Another upgrade I am getting is an aluminum throat plate that uses dovetailed wooden strips for my ics as well. I'll post when i receive that.

mreza Salav
05-14-2010, 5:15 PM
Those who have had problem with the plywood face of the fence not being flat:
That's the single complain I have about my ICS too. I checked the fence itself (wihout the face) and it is true to 0.001" but the plywood needs a lot of shimming.
Other than that, have been a happy customer. I have it with the 52" rail.

I wonder if anybody replaced the face of their fence with those UHMW polyethylen (white) things that are used in jigs, or something similar.

David Giles
05-14-2010, 11:06 PM
I was an early user of the SS technology. I didn't fess up to having one for over a year because of the emotions it generated! The current system has an 32" Incra fence with which I am totally satisfied. Outfeed tables become more challenging with the Incra rails. Mine is a simple board.

I changed the dust port from 4" to 6" which greatly improved dust collection with my little 1.5" blower.

I gave away the left wing and installed a router table. If I can swing the space, someday I'll install a sliding table and make a separate router table with Incra fence.

Some folks have to move all their tools around. I like to set the table saw and bench in one spot. So no mobile base for me.

Other than that, no problems, no changes.

Mike Leung
05-15-2010, 2:46 AM
The fence faces are way off on mine as well. I don't know how they could have those faces pass inspection. I see a huge gap around .05" when I run jointed stock against the fence. I am looking into replacing it with Corian. When I have time, I will visit a local shop to pick some remnants up. I think they should have used a phenolic core material for the faces just like their inserts. I complained about it 2 years ago. Maybe if enough owners let them know, they will do something about it.

Jay Jolliffe
05-17-2010, 5:15 PM
Has anyone set off the break that wasn't an accident that would cause injury? If so how. Can you shut off the safety part of the saw? The only reason I ask this, where I live I'd have to wait days for a new break if I set it off by accident. I know, I could have a few in stock but right now coming up with 2000.00 dollars for the saw after I sell the one I have is hard to do right now. This was what I went through when I bought the present saw, I didn't have the 2000.00. I know you can't put a price in loosing body parts. I guess I just have to suck it up & get one. Worry about the cash later.

Ray Newman
05-17-2010, 5:20 PM
The operator can easily override the SawStop safety feature.

And if I read the manual correctly, the operator can test the material to be cut to determine if it would trip the brake.

The SawStop web page has the owner's manuals on-line -- click on "support" -- for the various saws. I've read through the manual for the PCS and found it answered a great deal of my questions.

Paul Ryan
05-17-2010, 5:22 PM
Jay,

I have not set off the brake on my saw. But I do know that you cannot use the saw unless you have a good brake installed. You can put the saw in by-pass mode but you must have a brake installed for the saw to operate. It kind of stinks but you really should have an extra brake on hand. Unless you can be with out the saw for up to 3 days.

Chris Padilla
05-17-2010, 5:27 PM
White lightning usually makes everything HARDER for me, save falling down... :D

Ha! The one referred to is most often found in a bicycle shop. :) I use it all the time on my bike and PRL threads.

Matt Kestenbaum
05-17-2010, 8:50 PM
you cannot use the saw unless you have a good brake installed. You can put the saw in by-pass mode but you must have a brake installed for the saw to operate. It kind of stinks but you really should have an extra brake on hand. Unless you can be with out the saw for up to 3 days.

Yep. Putting the saw in by-pass mode, BTW, is not something you can do accidentally. It is a very conscious choice...made by inserting a key into the lock and turning the brake system off. And then you can turn on.

Ditto on not having had a brake trip yet.

Daniel Smith
05-17-2010, 10:03 PM
I've had my PCS with 52" fence and ICS mobile base for around 3 months now and will echo most of what everyone else has said. The base makes moving the saw trivial to do and the quality of cuts is excellent. I haven't had an issue with the faces of my fence, although the face of the mitre gauge was so wavy that it was impossible to square. That is my only real complaint to date. Also, with a little planning, it is possible to make a ZCI for the saw if you are so inclined.

Greg Becker
05-17-2010, 10:18 PM
I have the contractor model with a 52inch extension and the saw stop mobile base. I wish it had the better dust collection and 4 swiveling wheels on the mobile base (moving it with 2 stationary wheels is a back and forth edging it over process) but these are minor in terms of my overall satisfaction. I agree about getting an extra cartridge as well as a dado cartridge and a zero clearance plate. (and replacing the stamped steel wings with cast iron on the contractor model)

I removed the black melamine extension table and cut down an MLS router table top to fit in its place to mount a Triton 3 1/4 hp router and love convenience and space savings.

It is the highest quality piece of machinery I have ever purchased and I would have been extremely happy with the saw even without the finger saving technology. It was one purchase that I made without hesitation however as I had seen the results of lots of machinery accidents when I was a paramedic 35 years ago. Having sifted through saw dust to find four fingers that I packed in ice and transported to the hospital with a patient convinced me that these accidents are life changers that happen in a heart beat. Since I am constantly cutting and nicking my hands when I do any mechanical or wood working I knew I was a future Saw Stop owner the first time I heard of them.

The other modification that I made to my saw was to add an extra 3 1/2 inches of height (in between the base of the saw and the stand). This is standard practice with almost anything I buy or build as I'm 6'8" and need furniture that fits.