PDA

View Full Version : Today's invention

Dee Gallo
05-13-2010, 1:56 PM
I need some tiebacks for curtains and thought I'd try to make some. I cut out a shape using 3/16" clear acrylic and then baked it for 4 minutes at 300 degrees. Then I twisted it and voila! A nice unobtrusive tieback . Now I have to make about 39 more...

The three holes are for screws to hold it to the wall (why 3? who knows) and the other hole is in case I want to hang something from it and the flat part is in case I want to glue something on the front. It's practically invisible when up.

cheers, dee

Dan Hintz
05-13-2010, 2:19 PM
Dee,

Consider making one of the holes elongated. Put your first screw through the elongated hole once you find the rough position, adjust by sliding back and forth to the "perfect" position, then using a screw through one of the standard holes for locking it down.

Consider putting patterns on the end and selling them...

Dee Gallo
05-13-2010, 2:57 PM
Dan,

Good idea about the slotted hole, thanks, I'll do that! Funny, you are the second person today to tell me to sell them - the first one was the guy who just installed all our replacement windows. They ARE hard to find for any reasonable price if you can find any at all (we live in an area with no stores...) and then they are ugly. This design allows you to add whatever embellishment you like with just a hot glue gun.

An idea up for grabs, guys! Run with it!

:) dee

Dan Hintz
05-13-2010, 3:06 PM
Also consider offering it in various colors (like smoked). I bet the home crafters out there would eat something like that up if they knew it existed.

Larry Bratton
05-13-2010, 3:53 PM
Welll..you could have the drapery fabric design color inkjet printed on media with an adhesive back, cut it to the shape in your laser and then apply it to the holdback. Now you got a custom ,matching holdback

Dee Gallo
05-13-2010, 4:23 PM
You could also engrave something on a shape at the end and give it another twist there to make it flat with the curtains. Lots of possibilities! :)

Scott Shepherd
05-13-2010, 5:23 PM
Or, you could just be a guy and put up mini-blinds :D

Mitchell Andrus
05-13-2010, 5:39 PM
Cut the holes as "keyholes" so you can slide the bracket off of the screw when not needed.

Adam Orton
05-13-2010, 5:55 PM
With a stack of money and 100 people you can design or make anything so I am more impressed when one person makes something simple and useful. Dee the design is elegant in it's simplicity and I applaud you..

Dan Hintz
05-13-2010, 6:23 PM
:p Hahahahahahaaaaaaa....

Dee Gallo
05-13-2010, 7:33 PM
Thank you Adam, KISS is my middle name... :D

Andrea Weissenseel
05-14-2010, 6:16 AM
Great Dee :D

"Hold togethers" also look good and no need for wall mounting

What in the world is a "holdtogether" lol - that's what I mean, just a disk with a hole in the middle and the fabric is held together with a pin - just a quick scetch, so not perfect :)

Andrea

Mark Ross
05-14-2010, 8:25 AM

Mini blinds? What are those? I just staple (yes staple) a bath towel up...:)

Scott Challoner
05-14-2010, 8:53 AM
Dee and Andrea
Both great ideas. My mother in law makes drapes. I'll have to show her these.

Chuck Stone
05-14-2010, 6:28 PM
Cool idea!