PDA

View Full Version : Babbitt supplier

Lisa Frendberg
05-13-2010, 11:56 AM
I just rescued an old Moak 36" band saw from the scrap pile. The lower wheel Babbitt bearing is in rough shape, so I figure now is as good a time as any to learn how to pour my own. I can't find any local suppliers of Babbitt metal near the Detroit area. Any suggestions :confused:

Rob Cunningham
05-13-2010, 1:07 PM
Rather than pour your own, you could have the old ones reconditioned.
http://www.babbitt-inc.com/

jim finnegan
05-13-2010, 2:16 PM
Or, you could "google up" www.rotometals.com (http://www.rotometals.com) for your babbitt (and, shot for your 12 gauge!) - good luck! Jim

Don Jarvie
05-13-2010, 2:23 PM
Try OWWM.com. in the WIKI section there is info on Babbitt bearings and how to pour them.

The .Org side should have info for the saw also.

Bill White
05-13-2010, 2:27 PM
I can remember my dad pouring babbit bearings in a mold he made in the ground. Oil well stuff way back in the 50s. Scraped 'em with his pocket knife. I sure wouldn,t try it, but they worked just fine.
Bill

lawrence dosson
05-13-2010, 7:23 PM
Lisa
my local hardware has babbet if you can not get it any place i could manage to buy some and take it to my son in roseville if you are near there? would take some shuttling but very do able lawrence

Lisa Frendberg
05-13-2010, 8:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I am ordering ingots from Rotometals.Sounds like a great source for specific Babbitt formulations. I'll let ya' all know how this works out......We'll see. There will be another surprise with this saw when I get it done. I'm sure you'll all get a laugh out of it!!!!! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
05-13-2010, 9:43 PM
Lisa,

If you tell these guys you are painting it pink....they'll never forgive you!:eek::rolleyes:

Lisa Frendberg
05-14-2010, 10:32 AM
No Ken it's not going to be pink. My hubby wouldn't let me get away with that either!! You'll just have to wait and see.:cool:

Steve Perez
05-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Not too long ago I purchased a few back issues of Woodwork Magazine. One of them has a great article on replacing/pouring the babbitt bearing on an old shaper. My impression after reading the article was that it didn't seem hard at all. It was $8 dollars per magazine with shipping. I just called the old publisher, Ross Periodicals and ordered over the phone (415) 382 - 0580. They will tell you if they still have it in stock or not. The pictures and the step by step should help.

woodwork-magazine
Issue 64 Aug ’00
Replacing Babbitt Bearings

Hope to see pictures of the process!