PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blades without teeth??

Brandon Wichmann
05-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody knows of a place that makes toothless bandsaw blades. What I mean by this is a blade wth a razor edge. I need to reduce the thickness of small foam samples at work and would like to try this method. Essentially resawing foam pieces from ~25-30mm down to ~10-15mm in thickness.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Brandon

Dan Karachio
05-13-2010, 12:03 PM
I think some of the blades that come with new saws might qualify - if you look at them they have teeth, but when you use them they don't seem to be there! :-)

Seriously, wouldn't a fine cutting/high teeth count blade work here?

Steve knight
05-13-2010, 12:04 PM
turn a blade around and use a file to put a bevel on it while running.

Randal Stevenson
05-13-2010, 12:15 PM
turn a blade around and use a file to put a bevel on it while running.

And use an old blade.

EDIT: This may be dumb. But I am wondering about a blade, upside down? (figuring the gullets might allow pieces to fall out)

Rob Woodman
05-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Have you tried an upholstery supplies company? I know they are made as I saw one in use a couple of years back, for just the same job you describe. I think it was stainless steel much like a fish and bone blade.
Rob.

Edit: Teeth tend to drag foam rather than cut it so the cut line ends up ragged and imprecise.

Andrew Joiner
05-13-2010, 12:30 PM
I tried cutting foam on a saw blade with teeth and the foam CAUGHT AND PULLED MY FINGERS INTO THE BLADE !

I was lucky and didn't get hurt bad but a red flag comes up here for me.

Rob Woodman
05-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Just found this, it may be of help.

http://www.sunbeltindustrial.com/bandsawblade.asp

Rob.

bob hertle
05-13-2010, 12:38 PM
I used to buy "knife band" from DoAll but their dealership network now leaves something to be desired. I'm sure that Starrett still makes their versions of knife band. I believe it comes single bevel, double bevel, scalloped, and maybe another variety or two. I use the single bevel to cut urethane upholstery foam up to about 6 inches thick--fast and clean! I have made my own in a pinch by completely grinding off the teeth of a hardback carbon blade, presharpen in a plywood fixture on the belt sander, then final hone with an india stone, in place, under power on the saw.

These blades are scary to use. I once removed about 3/16 " of my right index finger tip using one. I didn't realize I was even cut til I saw the piece laying on the bandsaw table. Just sayin', be careful!

Bob

Bob Vavricka
05-13-2010, 1:22 PM
Brandon,
When I used to do some upholstery work, I used an electric kitchen knife as a foam cutter--mostly for cutting it to size/shape in length and width, I don't think it would work very good for thickness if the piece is very wide or long. I think a bandsaw blade without teeth would tend to pull the foam down due to the friction of the blade on the foam.
Bob V.

Pete Bradley
05-13-2010, 1:33 PM
It's called a knife band or a band knife. York Saw is one of the companies that sells them:

http://www.yorksaw.com/content/view/20/86/

Pete

Brandon Wichmann
05-13-2010, 2:15 PM
Thanks for your help guys!,

Looks like band knives are the name for what I am looking for. Between this and/or the wavy blades, I should get what I need.

Thanks again,
Brandon

Bruce Page
05-13-2010, 2:52 PM
You could also look into a hot wire setup. Pretty easy to make – an old model railroad transformer and some bare wire.