PDA

View Full Version : Vector start point in corel

Mike Christen
05-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Is there a way in corel to make a node the start point for vector cutting? I have a shape that I need to cut and the position where it starts is not ideal, I would like to have it start at a corner node. Seems I have seen a thread with this info a while back but can't seem to locate it using search.

Thanks for any assistance.

Mike Christen
05-13-2010, 10:52 AM
I found a way to do it, I selected break node apart and that moved the start point to that node. I also dragged each of those nodes out a little that also provided a lead in lead out type cut. I'm cutting acrylic so this helps with not leaving a mark as bad as when you just start on the actual piece being cut. Hope maybe this helps someone else.

Dan Hintz
05-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Mike,

You can also move that line to the top of the vector list (Object Manager side-window) and turning off vector sorting in your laser's driver...

Mike Christen
05-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Hi Dan

This was just one object so I was only interest in the cut start point. Since it was one object it was only listed that way in object manager. Am I missing something?

Rodne Gold
05-13-2010, 12:59 PM
This might work for you
Convert object to curves
Use shape tool to select the node at the point you want to begin the cut at
Then right click and use "break apart"
The node you selected should either be the start point or end point - you can use "reverse curve" to change the direction it goes.
Make sure your driver isnt overriding your intentions with any optimization.

Dan Hintz
05-13-2010, 1:48 PM
If it's a "grouped" set of vectors created in Corel, you need to "Ungroup" it first. If the grouping was not created in Corel, follow what Rodney says...

Be aware, if you disable vector sort optimization in the driver as we both suggested, you'll probably want to optimize the vector order in Coreldraw (a process that gets exponentially more tedious as the number of vectors increases).

Mike Christen
05-13-2010, 1:56 PM
This might work for you
Convert object to curves
Use shape tool to select the node at the point you want to begin the cut at
Then right click and use "break apart"
The node you selected should either be the start point or end point - you can use "reverse curve" to change the direction it goes.
Make sure your driver isnt overriding your intentions with any optimization.

Yes thats what I did, as I posted in my second post. Works great, extending the nodes that are broken apart also makes nice lead in/out.
Thanks for the assistance

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-13-2010, 2:49 PM
I've tried changing the start node on a vector line in the past and didn't find an easy way to change it other then the method you discovered. (i.e. break the line apart where you want it to start cutting.) As you probably discovered, the start node has a slightly larger square marker over it to indicate that is the starting position compared to all the other node markers.