PDA

View Full Version : PM 2700 advise

Randy Henry
05-13-2010, 8:22 AM
While making a panel on the PM 2700, I heard something "clank", thought it was something in the shop that fell, but...a second later, the shaper lost all power. My heart skipped a few beats. When I went to find out what happend, the motor pulley was free-wheeling on the motor shaft, and the "clank" I heard was the shaft key getting thrown out. It was a four hour job trying to get the pulley off. I called PM customer service and they were not alot of help, jacks of all-master of none. They said to pull the motor to do it, PITA which I did not do. I made a large wedge and just kept beating it and slowly moving the pulley off the shaft. Once off, I had to take emory paper and polish the motor shaft and inside the pulley.

I learned the hard way, now I will be periodically checking the 2 set screws on the pulley. For a 6 month old machine, I wouldn't have thought this should happen. I could have had PM sent a tech to fix it under warranty, but waiting a week is not something I wanted to do. Can' wait for the next surprise!!

Joseph Tarantino
05-13-2010, 9:55 AM
6 months old! that s*cks. and that's the reason i'll never own another walter meier tool group product (jet, powermatic, wilton) again. and let's hear it for their support. i'll bet they were nice as can be and just as useless. nothing like metal being flung from a power tool at high speed! long on promise, short on delivery and, in this case, potentially dangerous.

Bruce Koch
05-13-2010, 11:00 AM
I've had the same problem on mine several times. I just check regularly. The one problem I've encountered is the washer on the spindle with the little spike on it keeps breaking off. Any suggestions?