PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft finishing class.

Rich Johnson
05-12-2010, 7:02 PM
Not knowing much outside of poly and paint I was looking at the local Woodcraft store class in St Louis. I see they have a finishing class for $75. Any Creeker's attend this class? Is it worth the price?

Joe Chritz
05-12-2010, 7:18 PM
I haven't ever attended any classes but you could get two Bob Flexner books and Jeff Jewitt's from Amazon for the same cost and likely be well ahead of the game.

Finishing is as much art as science. Learn the science and let the art take the course.

Joe

Steve Southwood
05-12-2010, 7:39 PM
If I may ask, who is giving the class? I heard the guy from Evansville runs or opened the St Louis store. If true and he brings his folks, it's a good class.

Rich Johnson
05-12-2010, 9:41 PM
Not sure I could call and find out though. Here is a link

http://www.woodcraft.com/Resources/EducationClasses.aspx?CategoryID=0&StoreID=0&State=MO

Scott Holmes
05-12-2010, 11:26 PM
I don't know about the St Louis store's class...

I teach at both Houston stores and the San Antonio store.

Steve Southwood
05-13-2010, 8:24 AM
Well I really can't help you. One thing I noticed after a reread of the orgional post. Cost, ours is free. They haven't charged from a class in a long time.

Jim Rimmer
05-13-2010, 12:49 PM
I haven't ever attended any classes but you could get two Bob Flexner books and Jeff Jewitt's from Amazon for the same cost and likely be well ahead of the game.

Finishing is as much art as science. Learn the science and let the art take the course.

Joe
+1 on the Flexner books, then donate what ever is left to SMC and read all the finishing threads here. That will be an education in itself.

Prashun Patel
05-13-2010, 1:15 PM
You can/should buy the Flexner or Jewitt books first. Read them, then decide if you need the course. I'd also find out what the course is. If it's just a primer on the types of finishes available, then the books will suffice. If it's a course on technique, though, it can be valuable to see someone do it.

I find that there's a lot of misinformation out there re: finishing just bkz it can get so complicated. To this end, I find the books to be good definitive references. Twice, I've asked a finishing expert a question at a show that he didn't immediately know the answer to, so he guessed.

Pete McMahon
05-17-2010, 10:36 PM
[ Twice, I've asked a finishing expert a question at a show that he didn't immediately know the answer to, so he guessed.[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity what was your question?

How did you know they were guessing at the answer? Is that what they told you?

Prashun Patel
05-19-2010, 8:33 AM
One was about Watco Danish Oil. He asserted that it was a pure oil finish.

The second was about the myth that newer stearated sandpaper shouldn't be used between finish coats. He said that he wouldn't do it. That's not misinformation per se, but it is misleading.

I find that bkz finishing is very much an art, and because the technology evolves and changes, you really have to be well read on the subject to be able to speak intelligently about newer products.

Disclaimer: I am neither wellread nor intelligent.

Pete McMahon
05-19-2010, 12:35 PM
One was about Watco Danish Oil. He asserted that it was a pure oil finish.

The second was about the myth that newer stearated sandpaper shouldn't be used between finish coats. He said that he wouldn't do it. That's not misinformation per se, but it is misleading.

I find that bkz finishing is very much an art, and because the technology evolves and changes, you really have to be well read on the subject to be able to speak intelligently about newer products.

Disclaimer: I am neither wellread nor intelligent.

Shawn,
Thanks for getting back to me, you had my curiosity piqued.

About the misleading part, everyone has procedures they get comfortable with. Just look at the simple question of staining or not.