PDA

View Full Version : Just how sappy are you guys? (upgrading BS blues)

Tom Rick
05-12-2010, 6:44 PM
I have owned my old Delta/Rockwell wood-metal 14" BS for some 20 years. A 1964 vintage saw I have described simply countless times: "It is a great saw".

Well I am looking sideways at another, larger saw to get set up for re-sawing. The thing is I feel like I should hold on to the Delta.
What do you guys do? Sell off the great old tools when you upgrade and don't look back? End up with two of everything after a while if you hold on to them?

I have the perfect excuse for the 14- of course I need to hold onto it. Set it up for curves and leave the wide blade in the larger saw. Problem fixed :).

Tony De Masi
05-12-2010, 7:42 PM
Tom, I think you answered your own question.:D

Tony

mark kosse
05-12-2010, 8:01 PM
I have 3 of those band saws. 1947, '69, and '76. Guess what I think you should do. :)

John Mark Lane
05-12-2010, 8:07 PM
Well, I used to have one of those BS's about 20 years ago. I always thought it was kind of a pain in the butt back then, but I do kind of miss it now. I can tell you, as an Old Guy who has had too many "lives"... I had a couple of "lives" in which I owned some very nice old tools, including some Rockwell and Delta machines that were very dear to me. I let them all go when I "changed lives", and I have spent many years regretting that. As you get older, I think you learn more to appreciate the fine beauty of good, functional tools...especially when you don't have them any more (might apply to many things in life :rolleyes:).

Van Huskey
05-12-2010, 9:57 PM
Of every stationary machine in a wood shop the bandsaw makes the best argument for having 2. If one has the room and the money I wouldn't hesitate to recommend they keep the 14" saw also.

Rick Markham
05-12-2010, 11:29 PM
I'd keep both! After having just got a really nice big BS that I love everything about, now I want a 14" one for scroll work, Changing blades isn't at all bad, but having two set up perfectly for two different operations... Well that would just be stellar!!!

glenn bradley
05-12-2010, 11:51 PM
I feel like I have been repeating this story lately but, here goes again . . .

I sold my smaller saw right after getting my 17". I bought another smaller saw a couple months later to replace it after realizing my mistake. Keep the 14".

Chip Lindley
05-13-2010, 12:45 AM
Big Resaws don't do small curve work! Small BSs don't resaw well. Keep your Rockwell!

I found a dedicated Makita 2116 resaw at a very reasonable price just about the time I added a riser block, Carter guides and a bigger 1hp motor to my *old* '92 Delta 14". I won't be getting rid of the Delta. I'll just have to re-buy all 105" blades.

And, then, there's the old 60's Rockwell 20" metal/wood BS I just found at an attractive price! Maybe that will replace my other 50's Delta/Milwaukee 14" metal/wood BS. I'd call that a good swap!

Rick Fisher
05-13-2010, 2:42 AM
Definately keep the smaller saw for curves.. I have a big saw and it sucks at scroll work..

For resawing however, its awesome.

John Thompson
05-13-2010, 11:02 AM
I almost sold my smaller years ago when I upgraded to an 18" for re-saw but.. I kept it for dedicated use with a 1/4" curve blade. That turned out to be probably one of the wisest things I have done shop-wise in 39 years. I do a lot of re-saw and a lot of curves making templates and it saves a tremendous amount of time changing blades.. re-setting bearing.. tension.. etc.

Good luck...

Mike Cruz
05-13-2010, 12:38 PM
+1 for keep them both. Your own explanation hits the nail on the head. And not just for sentimental reasons... changing blades is a pain. If you have room save the oldie. Also, from what I understand, some of the big BS's don't do well with the really thin blades that 14's handle so well. So, while I can certainly be sappy, sappiness isn't the motivation for my answer.

But to answer your question as to what do I do with my old equipment... I don't have the room for two TS's, so I HAD to get rid of my old one. Would have been nice to have one set up for dados and one with a combo blade, but again, no space. I don't really see a use for a 15" AND a 20" planer, so I sold my 15" when the 20" came along. BS's just don't take up the footprint and clearance space that many other machines do, so two BS's works in my opinion.

Kirk Poore
05-13-2010, 12:43 PM
I kept my 14" when I got my 30" running. The 14" is great for little stuff, and is easy to turn on, make one cut, and turn off. The 30", being three phase, means I have to go turn on the RPC then start it. That's rather annoying for one or two little cuts, even though it's a better saw.

Kirk

Paul Johnstone
05-13-2010, 1:13 PM
If you want to keep the smaller BS, go ahead by all means.

However, you can get a Carter blade stablizer for your big bandsaw. I got one for my Rikon, and now cutting with a 1/4" blade is much more enjoyable. It's a quick switchover between the Carter stabliizer and the Rikon bearing supports (when using larger blades).

But if you have the space for 2 BS, go ahead and keep them. For me, it was not worthwhile to give up the floor space for two BS. Although I do miss my made in USA Delta.. that was a really nice saw.

Prashun Patel
05-13-2010, 1:21 PM
There are only three legitimate reasons to get rid of a tool when upgrading:

1) No space
2) No money
3) Wife won't let you keep both

Keeping a 2nd bandsaw dedicated to tight curves, or a 2nd tablesaw dedicated to dadoes, or a 2nd/3rd/nth router dedicated to a particular bit are all practical and gloatworthy.

Joe Jensen
05-13-2010, 4:37 PM
I faced the same challenge when I moved from a PM141 14" bandsaw. I bought it new in 1990 for $950. I found a great deal on a Laguna LT16HD and bought it. I didn't want to sell the PM141 and loved the idea of having one for small blades and one for resawing. In the end I decided more shop space was more attractive than having two saws. I hated selling the PM and I only got $600 for a fantastic (some argue the best 14" saw ever made).

Ray Chalenski
05-13-2010, 5:06 PM
I inherited most of my larger tools from my dad.Table saw,lathe and a elta/Rockwell 14" bandsaw.About 10 years ago I came across a 20" Rockwell bandsaw.The smaller saw is dedicated to smaller work and the larger one is dedicated to resawing.No or very little blade changing needed.I've had many people ask to buy the 14" saw because they think I don't need 2 bandsaws.I not only like my saws set up that way,I would not consider selling my Dad's stuff. It will go to my son when it's time.
Ray

Tom Rick
05-13-2010, 6:41 PM
I like the way you guys think.

Keeping the 14 without question.
Like Shawn put it- I have the space, don't need the cash it would sell for and my wife wants me to keep it....

Plus- the small saw can now face a wall or corner with the long stock going over to the large saw.

This guy in his nice shop has two... why not me?

http://tcbfinewoodworking.info/fine-woodworking/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/wood2.jpg
Thanks all