PDA

View Full Version : Second bowl

Alan Zenreich
05-12-2010, 6:39 PM
Things are progressing... I'm having fun playing with the tools and the techniques.

This is a little 4.5" x 2" osage orange bowl was finished with Danish Oil, then Tru-Oil, then buffed and Renaissance wax.

With every turning, comes some learning. (oooh, how poetic!)

John Keeton
05-12-2010, 6:45 PM
Excellent form, Alan!! Nice piece of osage - it will mellow into a beautiful color. Good job on this one, and I assume you ate the rest of the peanuts during your feeling of elation???:D

Dennis Ford
05-12-2010, 6:48 PM
The bowl looks good, Osage is nice wood for turning and you did a good job on this one.

David E Keller
05-12-2010, 6:51 PM
Pretty stuff. Nice shape and finish.

alex carey
05-12-2010, 7:10 PM
don't give up your day job for poetry, you stink! just kiddin, nice looking bowl, progressing pretty quickly, looks better than my second bowl.

Allen Neighbors
05-12-2010, 7:31 PM
Wonderful! 2d? Wow! Dontcha just love Osage? Two thumbs up!

Steve Schlumpf
05-12-2010, 8:32 PM
Wow - really good looking bowl - especially for your second! Looking forward to seeing #3!

Roland Martin
05-12-2010, 8:55 PM
Very well done, especially for a 2nd bowl. Nice form & finish. I'll have to turn something out of Osage someday.

Bernie Weishapl
05-12-2010, 9:39 PM
Great looking bowl. Really nice OO.

Donny Lawson
05-12-2010, 9:44 PM
Nice bowl. Looks like my Mulberry bowl. Mine isn't dry yet though.
Donny

Mike Willeson
05-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Very nice Alan. Beautiful wood.

Alan Zenreich
05-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Thanks for all your kind words and encouragement.

The peanuts were there only for a sense of scale. Big decision was peanuts or M&Ms. Yes, I considered a hybrid... peanut M&Ms, but
the au natural legumes won out.

You'll be entertained to know that just as I was finishing my initial post, I managed to drop the bowl.

I was about to submit the message when I realized that I had not measured the bowl.

I went back down into the shop, grabbed the bowl from the photo tent, and brought it up to my office. I grabbed a tape measure, looked at the number on the tape, looked at my computer... and promptly dropped the bowl.

It bounced off my keyboard, hit the seat of my chair, then landed on the slate floor. DING, on the side of the bowl, near the bottom.

I guess it's like having a new car. There's a relief when the first ding comes... now you don't have to wonder when it will occur.

I laughed and showed the ding (it's small, but there) to my wife. She smiled because she knows I now have a story to tell during show and tell at tonight's Hudson Valley Woodturners Club. I hve a few hours before tonight's meeting, maybe I can come up with a better story.

Now if I can only think up something clever to have caused that slight tearout inside the bowl.... <vbg>

Joe Little
05-13-2010, 5:30 AM
Great job. Really nice to see good results from all that learnin'.

steven carter
05-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Alan,

Nice job on the osage orange bowl, nice pleasant form, it will hold peanuts for years to come. You can use this picture to compare the color as it changes to brown with exposure to uv.

Steve