PDA

View Full Version : Today's experience at Eagle Tool

Mike Reinholtz
05-12-2010, 5:53 PM
I am fortunate enough to live close enough to Eagle Tool to actually visit the store, today being my first time there. I have to say that everything good anyone has ever said about this place is spot on. Generally speaking all I hear about is the bad experiences people have, but based on what so many people here have mentioned I decided to check it out and drool over a few tools in the process. I was honestly impressed by how friendly and knowledgeable the guys there are. They even showed me the slight flaws in some equipment they carry and what makes more expensive machines better (like column slop tolerances in Rikon drill presses vs Generals). At first I was just gonna get a couple bar clamps even after picking his brain about all different equipment. I ended up leaving with a drill press and plan on numerous trips back. Can't say enough good things about them. I am even considering going with the Agazzani band saw after seeing them in person, there is a HUGE difference in quality to say the least. Now I wish I visited this place to check out mortisers before buying the bench model I have...

No, I don't work for them, just a really impressed customer.

Joe Jensen
05-12-2010, 6:00 PM
Mike, I get to Southern CA occasionally and would like to visit. Can say where they are located?

Also, what drill press did you pick and why, and what did you learn about Mortisers?

Mike Reinholtz
05-12-2010, 6:50 PM
They are located in Los Angeles, close to I-5 and the Glendale Freeway.
Here is the address (I hope I am allowed to post it, free advertising, right?:D):
3027 Treadwell Street
Los Angeles, CA

I ended up getting a General 17" floor mount drill press, I had considered the Rikon 17" and 20" but the short handles (really short) and slop in the quill pushed me away. I actually was torn between Rikon and General prior to going there, not anymore. I didn't bring a dial indicator, but the Rikon extended just an inch or two had considerable slop, but I couldn't feel any on the General when fully extended. I have a cast on my right arm (broke it at work), but without hesitating they loaded it in my truck, so loading was really easy;). The Rikon also uses a cheap method of depth control that I don't like (handle mounted screw) whereas the General has a depth gauge and collars.

As for the mortisers, the Generals are pretty nice machines. I was told it's primarily helpful if you make chairs, but there is one that has a tilting head for a little more than the standard benchtop model. After that you step up to the floor mounted machine that tilts, handles 1" chisels, has a 1hp motor, and a table that reminds me of a machining table on a bridgeport mill for positioning. Needless to say, I am still flipping through the catalogs. The guy I talked to explained the Generals are solid cast iron for the column and that most others are steel and flex (although I haven't had any problems and I think if you are pushing hard enough to flex then you need to stop and starpen your chisels. I can say the machine I was checking out is much more substantial than my Delta (mine might go to CL for the tilting model).

Just for the record, I'm not bashing Rikon, in fact I have a couple of their tools and have been very pleased with them. Some of their equipment is substantially cheaper than their competitors and I found a few reasons why. They are a great option for folks that don't need the accuracy or just use it for hobby work and don't want to spend as much.

Mark Carlson
05-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Eagle Tools has a website with the location (below). They're actually in Los Angeles, very close to glendale, which is only a couple of miles from my house. I bought my General 650 from them and they followed me home and put it in my garage.

http://www.eagle-tools.com/

~mark

Van Huskey
05-13-2010, 12:42 AM
Eagle Tools has a website with the location (below). They're actually in Los Angeles, very close to glendale, which is only a couple of miles from my house. I bought my General 650 from them and they followed me home and put it in my garage.

http://www.eagle-tools.com/

~mark

They really need to get their site filled out and running, I think they might be surprised at how many more Agazzani bandsaws they would sell if people could get specs and prices quickly, we have become a right now generation.

Vince Shriver
05-13-2010, 5:44 AM
I have nothing but positive feedback for Eagle Tool & Jessie. I knew them years ago when they were in Altadena. Great folks to dealt with.

Mike Reinholtz
05-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks, I corrected my post that had the wrong city.