PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-460 speed issues

Jason Clark2
05-12-2010, 5:52 PM
Our club has a Delta 46-460 that I'm storing temporarily. I've used it a couple of times at demos and club meetings but never in my shop before last night. I'm doing a demo on it for our club on Saturday and wanted to check the balance on the pieces I'll be turning during the demo. I ran into 2 different speed issues.

1) The speed control knob seems to be having an issue, increasing the dial from 1 - 7 slowly increases the speed as expected. Between 7 and 9 the speed slows dramatically before picking back up once the dial hits 9.

2) While turning a couple of times the motor sped up dramatically while under load. The speed change was abrupt and caused the piece to start turning at unsafe speeds. The motor slowed down to normal speed after a few seconds.

I've read a bit about the slow speed issue and will be recommending our club get it serviced ASAP. The other speed issue is one I haven't heard or read anything about. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason

Paul Williams
05-12-2010, 6:55 PM
My 46-460 had the same speed problem. I posted a few weeks ago about them. Delta replaced the speed control free of charge. I investigated and found the problem with the speed control to be the potentiometer that the speed control knob is connected turns.

Delta will send you a new speed control. Takes about a week if you call them. You might be able to pick one up if you have an authorized DeWalt, Poter Cable or Delta repair shop near you.

I did not have the second problem you mentioned, sudden acceleration without turning the knob.

Bernie Weishapl
05-12-2010, 9:55 PM
Jason call Delta or have the club call and get a new pot for it. My neighbor had the same problem and that cured his.

Jason Clark2
05-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Bernie, Did he have the high speed issue or the low speed issue or both?

Thanks,
Jason