PDA

View Full Version : how to dry a mallet (turned green)

Martin Rock
05-12-2010, 3:16 PM
Hi All

I just turned a mallet from green wood. I would like to know a few options that would permit to dry the mallet without cracks.

The mallet is currently in a plastic bag with its shavings.
What about beeswax for slowing down drying?

mallet head is about 3" OD and 1.5" for the handle.

Thanks

Martin

Bill Bulloch
05-12-2010, 3:54 PM
Well it's certainly not going to dry in the plastic bag. I would wax it and put it in a paper bag and put the paper bag in my closet or another cool place. But, don't get in a hurry, the business end of the mallet will take a long while to dry.

Paul Atkins
05-12-2010, 4:35 PM
I turned 4 or 5 mallets about 4" diameter from green almond and put them in double paper bags and then in a cardboard box and let them sit for over a year-no cracks, but they are a bit oval. I have sealed the ends on oak ones with glue and did the paper bag deal - no cracks.

Bob Wolfe
05-12-2010, 8:04 PM
Not to hijack, but I tried a different route with mine. I turned a mallet out of a chunk of green hickory and put in in DNA for about a month. When I took it out there were already some hairline cracks visible. I put it in double paper bags for about 3 weeks and took a peek inside after a few days and to my surprise it was full of deep cracks and splits. Once dry, if it's still in one piece, I'm planning on filling all the cracks with glue/dust cocktail and returning it. If it doesn't work out, no great loss.

Donny Lawson
05-12-2010, 9:56 PM
I guess I need to check my Hickory bowl tomorrow. I turnned it green 2 weeks ago and put it in DNA for a week. Now it's in a paper bag with shavings. Hope it's doing well.
Donny