PDA

View Full Version : Tipuana Tipu Bowl and a Sycamore Vase

John Beaver
05-12-2010, 3:09 PM
I wanted to share these because they're quite different from my normal work.

The bowl is Tipuana Tipu (S. American Rosewood) and for some reason there is a lot of it in my neighborhood. It is the hardest wood I've ever turned. I turned it green and it still came off almost like sawdust, no curly shavings at all. I planned on carving into it but there was a crotch seam and I didn't feel it would be stable at the seam. Even at 1/4 inch wall thickness it's very heavy.

The vase is a small piece of Sycamore I had left over from another project. I took this picture before I buffed it, so it's a little glossier now.

Nathan Hawkes
05-12-2010, 3:15 PM
They both look great, but I especially like the rosewood. Did it smell like lilacs like cocobolo and others are supposed to?

bob svoboda
05-12-2010, 3:23 PM
I love them both, but am partial to the Sycamore piece. Nice work.

Bill Bolen
05-12-2010, 3:36 PM
Beautiful wood and equally beautiful work.

Tim Hughes37
05-12-2010, 3:44 PM
Absolutely beautiful! Love the vase!

Bill Bulloch
05-12-2010, 3:50 PM
I like both of those, especially the work you did on them. I really favor the leathery texture look of the Sycamore; unfortunately Sycamore don't like me. I just finished a 14 inch tall weed pot from Sycamore and broke out on both arms and neck like I had poison ivy.

Keep up the good work.

John Keeton
05-12-2010, 3:50 PM
Fantastic form on both, and the Rosewood is striking in color! But, I think the extra touches complete the style of the sycamore piece and gives it the edge - my vote goes here!

Steve Schlumpf
05-12-2010, 4:01 PM
Very nice work on both of these!

Beautiful bowl! Great form, beautiful wood and finish!

Really like the vase! Changing the lip gives it some personality - as well as adding vivid color only to the inside! Nice touch! What did you use to color it?

Joe Little
05-12-2010, 4:12 PM
Stunning, really beautiful work!

Roland Martin
05-12-2010, 4:32 PM
Both of these forms are great. I think the rosewood bowl has a perfect balance to it and really like the finish. The form and texture of the Sycamore vase is just beautiful.
Splendid job on both pieces!

Frank Van Atta
05-12-2010, 4:50 PM
Two great pieces, but the Sycamore vase is definitely my favorite.

David E Keller
05-12-2010, 7:03 PM
Beautiful work. I'm partial to the rosewood piece, but both are nice.

The sycamore piece reminds me of something. Not sure how to expand that thought without crossing the line:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
05-12-2010, 9:48 PM
I agree beautiful wood and beautiful work.

Steve Vaughan
05-12-2010, 10:27 PM
As everyone else has said, simply nice and clean work!

John W Dixon
05-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Wow I love both pieces but am curious to know more about the sycamore vase. what did you use to cut the slice into it and what about the color on the inside? Tell me more!:D

John

John Beaver
05-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Nathan: Interesting question. It did not smell like cocobolo. It also didn't tickle my sinuses like cocobolo and other rosewoods

Steve: The inside of the vase is Krylon rattle can.

David Keller: Wow, I never saw that. It looks kind of heart shaped to me.

Leo Van Der Loo
05-13-2010, 12:07 AM
Very nice work John, I do like the Sycamore's shape, but the Tipuana bowl does win my vote, gorgeous wood and good shape on that bowl, well done :-))

Paul Douglass
05-13-2010, 9:41 AM
Beautiful pieces for sure. I'm a sycamore fan. So many different grains in it as well as color. Fortunately it is abundant in my area.

Harvey Ghesser
05-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Very beautiful bowl! My favorite.

Jenn Hill
05-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Wow!! Those are absolutely beautiful. I love the vase.

John Beaver
05-13-2010, 3:03 PM
Wow I love both pieces but am curious to know more about the sycamore vase. what did you use to cut the slice into it and what about the color on the inside? Tell me more!:D

John

Thanks John,
For cutting the vase I have a small tool I made that lets me hand hold jigsaw blades (I like this because there are a lot of different jigsaw blades, and I can choose the best tooth pattern). I cut the pattern by hand then refined it with rasps, files and sandpaper. Sycamore carves easily so it went pretty quickly. The inside is a few coats of rattle can primer and krylon paint.

William Bachtel
05-13-2010, 5:47 PM
John I like that vase a lot. Sycamore is one of my favorites. Nice job.

Dave MacArthur
05-13-2010, 8:02 PM
Nice, I love that vase, that shaped slot gives it great form.

In Phoenix, the Tipu is quite common as it is pushed by the nurseries as a fast growing shade tree. Unfortunately, it loses all it's leaves and makes a huge mess in Apr-May. I have one I put in 3 years ago, about 6" trunk now, that I'm getting ready to cut down, so have been reading about sealing ends etc. One question, I've seen this referred to twice now as "south american rosewood", is this really a form of rosewood or is that just a colloquial name with no basis? These trees get cut down all the time after a storm out here.

Thanks!

John Beaver
05-13-2010, 9:44 PM
One question, I've seen this referred to twice now as "south american rosewood", is this really a form of rosewood or is that just a colloquial name with no basis? These trees get cut down all the time after a storm out here.

Thanks!

To the best of my knowledge it is a form of Rosewood. They say it usually has the aroma also, but the pieces I have don't seem to smell much. It is by far the "hardest" wood I have ever turned. Plan on sharpening a lot and going slow. Also beware that many people get allergic reactions to rosewood. I always wear a respirator when working with any rosewood.