PDA

View Full Version : Chip collection and 6" ducts

Brad Hammond
11-20-2004, 2:49 AM
i guess i should direct this to the grizzly 1029z owners, but i was wondering how ya'll handle chip collection with 6" ductwork. did you build your own chip collector or use the 4" collector that came with the grizzly dc.

thanx all
brad

Ralph Steffey
11-20-2004, 6:55 AM
I just did away with the chip collector and used the metal can on the bottom where the bag used to go. I got a skirt to make this possible from woodworkers supply.

Tony Falotico
11-20-2004, 8:27 AM
I just did away with the chip collector and used the metal can on the bottom where the bag used to go. I got a skirt to make this possible from woodworkers supply.

Ralph, I thought the purpose of the Chip collector (the black trash can lid) was to separate the larger chips (nails, screws whatever) BEFORE they hit the impeller, thus saving the impeller for a longer life span. Sounds like you are defeating the purpose here.

Jim Becker
11-20-2004, 2:12 PM
The problem is that you get so much air flow with the 6" duct that the "normal" pre-separators just clear out, rather than separate. Consider an "add-on" cyclone; either shop-built or commercially available from folks like Oneida, to solve the problem.