PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 horse power feed

Joe Chritz
05-12-2010, 2:45 PM
Anyone with first hand experience with the 1/4 horse grizzly power feeders?

There is a substantial up charge to go bigger than 1/4 horse (around $500) but not very much from 1/2 to 1 HP. I killed my baby feeder and it is time to upgrade since I have about 50 cabinet doors to do in the next three weeks.

If the 1/4 is a bit light on the mounting than I would go with a grizzly 1 HP 4 wheel unit as it is only $150 more than their 1/2 HP 3 wheel.

Anyone have problems with a feeder being to big and hard to use?

Joe

Rod Sheridan
05-12-2010, 3:18 PM
Hi Joe, my experience has been that there is a world of difference in going from one of the baby feeders to the 1/2HP feeder, and much less difference going from 1/2HP to 1 HP.

The difference isn't really the power ( 1 horsepower is the work required to lift 33,000 pounds one foot in one minute, or 330 pounds 100 feet in one minute).

Obviously sliding something along a table requires much less work, so the issue isn't power it is the stiffness of the columns, mounting brackets, and the downwards force exerted by the wheel springs that separates the baby feeders from the larger feeders.

I have a 3 wheel, 1/2HP feeder that does a great job of feeding strips or doors. It is stiff enough not to deflect under the forces required, especially when climb cutting which requires greater traction on the work piece.

In my particular case a feeder can be too large, as my saw/shaper has a tilt away feeder bracket, and I have to swing part of the feeder weight to install or store the feeder.

That's not a consideration on a permanent install, however a large feeder can tip over a machine if swung too far outboard if the machine isn't anchored to the floor.

Regards, Rod.

Joe Chritz
05-12-2010, 5:07 PM
Well, had some time during lunch/dinner to look over the specs.

I see that the stand on the 1HP model weighs as much as the entire unit, stand and all on the 1/4 HP. The stand on the 1/2 HP is much beefier than the 1/4 unit, weighing in at 48 pounds, the entire shipping carton for the 1/4 HP is 79 pounds. Couple that with the higher slow speed (9.5 or 13 FPm compared to 20) and the bigger unit seems well worth the added cost.

Now I am thinking that the $150 up charge to go from a 3 wheel 1/2 HP to a 4 wheel / 1 HP is worth it. Still curious if anyone has issues with a feeder being to big. I assume it will still feed narrow stock OK, I would likely use it to make beaded face frame material.

There goes all my profit on this next door job.

Joe