PDA

View Full Version : what's a scoring saw?

mark kosse
05-12-2010, 2:20 PM
I tried to look this up but found nothing. I have a chance at a delta rt-31. I know it can be used as a 12" table saw, but what is a scoring saw?

James Baker SD
05-12-2010, 2:25 PM
I would wait for the experts to chime in to be sure, but I would guess it is a small blade ahead of the main blade that cuts from below just the surface of the underside of the wood to prevent chipout as the main blade cuts through from above.

James

Rod Sheridan
05-12-2010, 2:36 PM
James is correct, the scoring blade on my saw is 80mm in diameter and is two blades that are assembled like a dado set with spacers in between.

The spacers allow you to adjust the kerf so that is a few thou wider than the main blade.

The blade arbour also adjusts horizontally for alignment with the main blade, and vertically to adjust depth of scoring cut.

When cutting melamine or veneered material you cannot identify the top or bottom after the cut, it's that clean. On my saw it was a $500 option.

Regards, Rod.

mark kosse
05-12-2010, 2:44 PM
Thanks Guys!

So it has 2 arbors, and blades? I don't know I'd ever need to use it but it could be nice to have if I learned to use it.

Mark

Frank Warta
05-12-2010, 2:53 PM
As Rod eluded to if you're dealing with sheet goods it is supposed to give you an unparalleled cut quality. A ZCI and sharp purpose built blade can get you very close but this is supposed to be the ultimate solution.

Richard McComas
05-12-2010, 4:47 PM
They say a picture is worth a thousand words or something like that. The saw blades rotate toward each other.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o159/rmccomas0043/Copyofknife1.jpg

mark kosse
05-12-2010, 8:06 PM
That does settle that indeed. Thanks!

Will Blick
05-12-2010, 9:02 PM
are these on sliders only? I never saw one on a cabinet saw?

Karl Brogger
05-12-2010, 10:31 PM
are these on sliders only? I never saw one on a cabinet saw?

Nope, I've seen them on beam saws, and panel saws as well.

I've never used a good on a tablesaw. Just a piece of junk SCMI and it was more hassle than it was worth. Isn't as critical on veneered material, but with melamine being such a worthless pain in the rear, anything would be better.

Larry Edgerton
05-13-2010, 7:49 AM
Nope, I've seen them on beam saws, and panel saws as well.

I've never used a good on a tablesaw. Just a piece of junk SCMI and it was more hassle than it was worth. Isn't as critical on veneered material, but with melamine being such a worthless pain in the rear, anything would be better.

I'll agree. I very seldom use the one in my MiniMax, unless I am using that useless pain in the rear, Melamine. And I try never to do that.

Mine hase a conical blade that adjusts for height as well as laterally. The height adjustment allows you to match the blade width in theory, but is hard to use without a powerfeed as stock lifting off of the table changes the cut width.

Jim Becker
05-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Yea, and scoring really works, too. I never want to cut veneer sheet stock again without it running (my slider is so equipped), unless it's with my Festool guided saw. Zero splintering.

Larry, I'm not using the adjustable scoring blade on my S315WS slider. Somehow, I also ended up with a "regular" blade for it and it coincidentally matches my Forrest blades for kerf exactly. I have no issues with any degradation of the cut when hand-feeding stock.

Rod Sheridan
05-14-2010, 9:13 AM
I'll agree. I very seldom use the one in my MiniMax, unless I am using that useless pain in the rear, Melamine. And I try never to do that.

Mine hase a conical blade that adjusts for height as well as laterally. The height adjustment allows you to match the blade width in theory, but is hard to use without a powerfeed as stock lifting off of the table changes the cut width.

Yes, that's can be a problem problem with the conical scoring blades if the stock isn't flat. The split type don't have that problem.

Regards, Rod.

Mike Wilkins
05-14-2010, 10:25 AM
That's a saw that got lucky on a Saturday night.
Sorry. Could not resist.

Tom Walz
05-14-2010, 11:05 AM
When using a scoring saw it is important to have both blades sharpened as a set. This insures that you will get an exact match with no line in the material.

Rod Sheridan
05-14-2010, 12:28 PM
When using a scoring saw it is important to have both blades sharpened as a set. This insures that you will get an exact match with no line in the material.

Tom, that's a very good point if you have a single piece scoring blade.

My saw has a split saw blade that's assembled like a dado, with shims, so it can be adjusted to the main blade kerf.

Regards, Rod.

Joe Wiliams
05-14-2010, 9:33 PM
Newbie & curiosity questions...:)

Do you do the scoring cut and 'real' cut on the same pass or score then cut?

Why does the scoring blade rotate in the opposite direction?

Is there any issue with the scoring blade pulling the stock forward?

Brendan Plavis
05-14-2010, 10:55 PM

If I am not mistaken the answers are:

Yes, they cut on the same pass

That way the torque isnt overly massive that it kicks back

I have no clue regarding the pulling it forward....

Karl Brogger
05-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Scoring blades do pull forward a bit, but the cut is so shallow, < 1/32", that it doesn't grab on really.

Why? When blades are sharpened they are essentially reduced in diameter, not in width. The grind is made on the top, not on the sides. If the teeth are tapered I could see that though, but the blades would have to be a matching set to begin with, with identical teeth. It's not like a rail and stile set.

Simon Dupay
05-15-2010, 1:51 AM

it climb-cuts that's why rotates opposite.

Van Huskey
05-15-2010, 2:00 AM

I don't think your second question was answered fully. The scoring blade rotates opposite in order for the blade to interact wth the wood in the way that most reduces tear/chip out on the bottom edge which is where the problem occurs with the standard rotation of the main blade. Think about it standard blade is actually making the cut when it EXITS the bottom of wood which tends to tear out on ply and mel, the scoring blade rotating the opposite direction is cutting as it goes INTO the bottom edge reducing tear out the same way the standard blade does when cutting the top.

Also, if you just have a standard table saw you can run a shallow cut then your full depth cut and it will reduce tear-out quit a bit but not to the degree a scoring blade will.

EDIT: Simon answered it while I was typing, well that and letting the dog out. The opposite of climb cutting is called chip cutting apropos since it causes chip out BUT not the reason it is so named.

Joe Wiliams
05-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks guys!

Van, your post really cleared things up:)