PDA

View Full Version : Photos of cabinets using two different woods or stain?

Scott Notaeh
05-12-2010, 12:32 PM
I am planning to make some kitchen cabinets. I had a crazy thought of using two different woods for them. I was thinking of using butternut and walnut with one on the face frames and another on the doors. Or even making the rail and stile and face frames one and the raised panel the other.

Anyone tried this and have any photos so I can determine if this is a really dumb idea or one that might work?

Edit: To clarify, I am plan to use solid wood and no veneering. Also, I don't plan to stain anything but figured photos of cabinets that are stained differently might give the same effect to give me an idea if it works. Finally, I am also unsure on if the walnut or butternut would be better as the raised panel (light doors on dark background or dark doors on light background?).

Thanks,

Scott

Jay Jolliffe
05-12-2010, 1:26 PM
In a Fine Wood Working mag not too far back they did an article on just that. They did frame & panel doors made from different woods. I don't remember what issue it was.

Joe Chritz
05-12-2010, 2:42 PM
It isn't crazy at all.

Walnut stiles/rails with figured maple panels would be yummy all around. Cherry and maple would be another good combo. If you do flat panel (recessed) doors there are a ton of options available with veneers and the like.

Joe

Quinn McCarthy
05-12-2010, 3:10 PM
I have used walnut and butternut together many times. They look great. I just don't have any pictures. If you want a more rustuc look you could use wormy butternut. I have some at home that has some wonderful grain to it.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

Jeremy Milam
05-12-2010, 3:11 PM
They just did that on the Woodsmith Shop that was on PBS this past Saturday. I think it was a rerun. Three options, one was a vennered panel.

Van Huskey
05-12-2010, 3:49 PM
Not crazy at all. You have to mock them up though to get the look you want. I love mixing the woods in built up cabinet moldings as well. Now, just FYI two tone kitchen cabinets were "hot" in the last few years but they are now "out", if you or your significant other cares about this. It would be almost impossible to stay "current" with kitchen cabinets however some styles date less quickly, two tone cabinets wll probably date a kitchen to the mid 2000s.

Phil Phelps
05-12-2010, 4:34 PM
The two woods are beautiful. However, for me, it would be far too busy. I think I would tire of the contrast of many doors.

Joe Shinall
05-12-2010, 4:37 PM
I like to build everything out of two opposite color woods. Everytime I plan a build I think of if I can do it or not. Never done cabinets but I have seen them painted in 2 opposite colors before and it was interesting to say the least. I think it can be done tastefully but it can also look too busy. Depends on how they are done I'm sure.

Joe Jensen
05-12-2010, 6:05 PM
I have contrary view. I do some contrast wood work, but I only use the contrasting wood as a very small accent. I am personally turned off by the use of highly contrasting woods in projects.

That said, if you really like the look, you should do it as it will put a smile on your face every time you see and use them.

Will Blick
05-12-2010, 7:12 PM
This subject IMO never gets enough attention... but maybe that is because, as Joe mentioned, there is not a lot of great happy mates...

If you are a member of FWW on-line, you can download the recent article... Mar / april 2010

there is a few very nice pieces that look incredible...but mostly the article shows what not to mate, and some examples of woods that are complimentary...but when viewing the pix, I am not impressed... this is not so easy. The examples of using contrasting wood for embelleshments were all quite nice...so I think Joe is on to something here :-)

I often wondered why people don't stain the same wood to bring out contrast differences in different parts.... I think a few of the box builders on this forum have done some excellent complimentary woods...maybe they can re post...

Perry Holbrook
05-12-2010, 8:17 PM
I built our kitchen several years ago using walnut for all the face frames. The drawer fronts are all solid hickory with simple rounded over edges. Some of those fronts are 9"x36". The doors are hickory frames with white stained glass panels. Everybody who sees the kitchen loves the look.

Perry

David DeCristoforo
05-12-2010, 8:28 PM
Here's a link to some pics of a kitchen done in lyptus and maple. Some like it... some don't..

http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Trask/

Jason Hallowell
05-12-2010, 8:38 PM
I did a cabinet with faceframes and door panels in mesquite, and the door rails and stiles in pecan. It was more of a bold contrast than appeals to me, but the clients who ordered it loved it.

I really like using small contrasting accents, like miter keys, mortise wedges, pegs, butterfly keys, etc. I think it really highlights A&C style pieces very nicely.

Joe Shinall
05-12-2010, 8:39 PM
Here's a link to some pics of a kitchen done in lyptus and maple. Some like it... some don't..

And I like it! To each their own has never been more true!

Van Huskey
05-12-2010, 9:36 PM

I am in the love it category. Those are magnificent cabs. I love contrast and it gives visual deptch and texture something single species struggle to do. Two more things to mention: 1. larger kitchens seem to carry more contrast easier 2. be careful using species that change color over time, the gorgeous contrast in the beginning may end up a muddled mess after a few years.

One other place besides molding for a small accent with huge power is a beaded face, a bead in a contrasting color can really be a huge pop and lead the eye to the craftmanship.

Dave MacArthur
05-12-2010, 11:08 PM
I love contrasting woods, and love that kitchen.
If you look at many of the "art" pieces, hollow forms etc., on the Turner's Forum, you'll see that virtually 100% of them have strong contrast, and it REALLY makes you look at the wood as some beautiful material conveying art... I get the same impression when I see that someone has taken the effort to try to make MORE of simple cabinets, tried to lead the eye to the wood itself.

Like posters above, I am almost always saying "HOW can I use contrasting woods here?"

Will Blick
05-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Dave, I am liking it tooo.... first, its different... tired of the same thing...
Although the contrast is a bit extreme, it still works well IMO...it sets off the face frames vs. the panels... thanks for posting...

oh, and a gorgeous kitchen!

David Cefai
05-13-2010, 12:48 AM
Many years ago, living in a company owned house, I discovered that the painted kitchen was actually built of a dark brows, straight grained wood. Doors were painted plywood.

We stripped the carcasses and made new doors using Aformosia plywood. The effect was stunning.

Jeff Monson
05-13-2010, 12:27 PM

Very nice David!!! You do some beutiful work.

Jim Kirkpatrick
05-13-2010, 1:02 PM

+1 on the contrasting woods! Nice work David!
Not so sure I'd use butternut in a kitchen environment. It's way too soft.
I use cherry and maple all the time. Like peas and carrots.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=136634&d=1262204139

Pat Stewart
05-13-2010, 5:31 PM
Here's a few:
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=115724

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=113862

George Clark
05-13-2010, 6:34 PM
Cherry and Birds Eye Maple; solid wood.

Vince Shriver
05-13-2010, 9:49 PM
Cherry and Birds Eye Maple; solid wood.

Geo, exceptional work. The brick work, the mantle above the f/p, the bookcase and entertainment ctr just blend beautifully. That brickwork particularly is just right.

Gary Breckenridge
05-14-2010, 1:10 AM
Butternut is beautiful but too soft for any high wear use. :eek: As much as I like the idea of contrasting woods like maple and walnut I feel that butternut and walnut are not contrasting and they usually share the same grain pattern.

Steve Griffin
05-14-2010, 9:24 AM
I like Lyptus and Bamboo.

-steve