PDA

View Full Version : Screw driver sets & large tool chests

Phil Winn
11-20-2004, 1:43 AM
I am looking to purchase a super highend premium screw-driver set-both
philips head and flat head, hopefully with beautiful handles etc..any ideas?

I also am looking to purchase a highend premium rolling tool chest-a large
one---the Gerstner "Work-Station" which is $4000.00 is great, but too much-
I was hoping to spend between $1,000 and $2,000.00 Any ideas
for other makes? I would love wood, but otherwise metal would be
fine. Stainless-steel or painted? Any ideas?
Thanks,
Phil

Steve Wargo
11-20-2004, 7:52 AM
Then I imagine that you could have a custom one built for you out of wood by a local cabinet shop. Just my $.02

Mark Singer
11-20-2004, 9:21 AM
I have a stainless chest and a Gerstner Style chest...they are both nice. I bought the stainless one at Costco for about $700 and it is big with deep drawers . the Gerstner style has shallow drawers and will not hold planes , etc.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3556&stc=1

Ted Shrader
11-20-2004, 11:54 AM
Phil -

Check in to <a href="http://www.homakmfg.com/">Homak</a> at Costco. I have a big one, many drawers all full of mechanics tools, not woodworking. :( It is metal, but has many different sizes and depths of drawers approriate for woodworking. Will fit in under budget - believe mine was $699.

Ted

Ellen Benkin
11-20-2004, 12:46 PM
For the items you mention I would check into Sears (before it becomes K Mart). The Craftsman hand tools are high quality and "guaranteed for life". I've taken some hand tools back and had them replaced, but not screwdrivers. I've had basic sets of Sears screwdrivers for well over 20 years, beaten on them, dropped them, used them as pry bars, and have no complaints. Sears also has high quality mechanics tool chests that would work well in a woodworking shop. I have always wished I could afford them.

Carl Eyman
11-20-2004, 2:00 PM
The Snap - On brand screw drivers have the best designed handles I've ever used. Those in my mechanic's tools box are 40 years old and going strong.Those hanging on the peg boarf are used for woodworking as well as general use. They are 20 years old. Both are as good as new. They have an almost infinite variety of sizes. I'd say Sears' blades are as good, but the handles are not as well designed ergometrically (if that's the right word). They are not available in stores, but local dealers sell from their trucks to garages, machine shops, etc. Look on the net as well as the phone book.

Lloyd Robins
11-20-2004, 4:58 PM
Lee Valley has a very nice set of screwdrivers. You would need to buy the three sub set for a whole grouping. Here is the address:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=32208&category=1,43411,43417&abspage=1&ccurrency=2&SID=

Good luck.

Joel Moskowitz
11-20-2004, 5:56 PM
I don't have a picture but my main toolbox is a Knaack box with a tradtional joiners chest (which I made) built inside. Totally secure, very convient. try www.knaack.com

They make dozens of sizes, almost every shop I know has them in one purmutation or another because they are so secure.

Charles McKinley
11-20-2004, 8:41 PM
I like SK screwdrivers. They are a division of facom or falcom. Check ebay sometime they can go for a lot less than Mac or Snapon.

Gerard Langlois
12-12-2004, 9:47 AM
I too have been looking for a set of screwdrivers. what i found are the Marples with the oval handles, they feel great in the hand, I tried them at the Garrett-Wade showroom last week. They are also available through "toolsforworkingwood.com" and "thebestthings.com" (listed under turn screws) Unfortunately I have only been able to find the straight tip and not philipps head.