PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Blade

Kirk Miller
05-12-2010, 10:23 AM
I recently picked up an older Grizzly 14" Bandsaw (I forgot to write down the model). It has 6" riser blocks on it. I am curious what is the best way of figuring the blade length for it. The guy I bought it from could only tell me it was a bandsaw, with limited use. I imagine it would be best to remove the blade and measure it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Kirk

Louie Ballis
05-12-2010, 10:58 AM
If you have a Gizz 14 inch bandsaw with a 6 inch riser, then you will need a 105 inch blade.

Matt Day
05-12-2010, 12:04 PM
I believe that is correct - all 14" Delta clones with a riser block require a 105" blade, like my Rockwell does.

Van Huskey
05-12-2010, 2:23 PM
Easy answer 105" as mentoned above.

Hard answer for anyone that actually has to determine a length:

1. With no blade on the saw lower the upper wheel all the way down, measure from the center of the top shaft to the center of the bottom shaft. Double this measurement and add 1 wheel circumference this is the theoretical shortest blade

2. raise the top wheel all the way up, repeat the measurement and the math as above, then add the two lengths and divide by 2, this is usually the blade length that manufacturers specify.

If you happen to have a blade you can just measure it...

Alan Schwabacher
05-12-2010, 4:16 PM
Measure the distance between the wheel centers at their closest approach, add to this the distance between them at their furthest adjusted distance, and add 44". For a 14" bandsaw, this is equivalent to the recommended distance mentioned above. You have an inch or two leeway either way from here. That leeway is roughly the difference between close and far wheel separations.

Kirk Miller
05-13-2010, 4:36 PM
THank you for everyones inputs. I will be ordering a 105" blade tonight.

Geoff Barry
05-13-2010, 6:14 PM
For a standard bandsaw, the answer is usually simple (105" in your case). For a nonstandard bandsaw, you can do math, or you can just run a piece of string around the wheels and then measure that against a tape measure :)

Bruce Wrenn
05-13-2010, 9:37 PM
For a standard bandsaw, the answer is usually simple (105" in your case). For a nonstandard bandsaw, you can do math, or you can just run a piece of string around the wheels and then measure that against a tape measure :)You could get a Fast Cap Flat Back tape and measure it directly.