PDA

View Full Version : What is a gloat?

Zach England
05-12-2010, 8:32 AM
Is a "gloat" getting a really good deal on something or can it just be a the new toy you bought, even if you payed list price?

Prashun Patel
05-12-2010, 8:34 AM
Both of the above. When you buy or obtain something that yr proud of, post it. People round here (at least me) love gloat posts...

Zach England
05-12-2010, 8:36 AM
Sweet. I just ordered up a full set of LN bench chisels.

Belinda Barfield
05-12-2010, 8:50 AM
That, Zach, would be a gloat. Pics must follow. The rule is, no pics, didn't happen.

Jerome Hanby
05-12-2010, 9:05 AM
A gloat is a genetic cross breed of a glow worm and a goat created in a laboratory. Physically it resembles the illustrations typically used to repersent the astrological sign of capricorn. When enraged or excited it emits a yellow green glow then typically falls over when it attempts to charge due to it's intact goat reflexes and lack of rear legs.

On SMC this term is used because the enraged phenomenon is very similar to the 'creeker reaction when confronted with an opportunity to purchase new or different tools or materials.

Zach England
05-12-2010, 9:07 AM
A gloat is a genetic cross breed of a glow worm and a goat created in a laboratory. Physically it resembles the illustrations typically used to repersent the astrological sign of capricorn. When enraged or excited it emits a yellow green glow then typically falls over when it attempts to charge due to it's intact goat reflexes and lack of rear legs.

That is the most awesome thing I have heard in a long time.

Kent A Bathurst
05-12-2010, 9:09 AM
It is a lawnmower from Mitchell when he fat-fingers the keyboard.

David G Baker
05-12-2010, 9:59 AM
Jerome,
Have you been picking the plant that grows in the fence row again? :D

Mitchell Andrus
05-12-2010, 10:05 AM
A goat is a farm animal that is grown for it's thick fur. It's milk is also used to make cheese.

A gloat is when your goat falls from the boat in the moat and begins to float until you wrap a coat around its throat and you brag about it to your forum buds.

.... need some help here.

Jim Rimmer
05-12-2010, 12:50 PM
A goat is a farm animal that is grown for it's thick fur. It's milk is also used to make cheese.

A gloat is when your goat falls from the boat in the moat and begins to float until you wrap a coat around its throat and you brag about it to your forum buds.

.... need some help here.
If you wrote a note about the goat you got to carry your tote full of books so you could recite by rote the specs for a machine on which you wish to quote that would be a gloat. (BTW, on LOML I dote).

Mitchell Andrus
05-12-2010, 2:54 PM
If you wrote a note about the goat you got to carry your tote full of books so you could recite by rote the specs for a machine on which you wish to quote that would be a gloat. (BTW, on LOML I dote).

Seems Jim is filled to the brim with rhymes that are crimes. Jim away I do say, go today out now and play for the way to us sway is not at all in this way.

John Shuk
05-13-2010, 2:52 PM
Are you pleased with yourself? Do you like what you got? You can gloat over whatever you feel like.

Stephen Tashiro
05-13-2010, 3:18 PM
A gloat is a post like

"What is the best way to check the blade alignment on a table saw? I just purchased a new $3,500...."

except it doesn't have the part about "What is the best way to check the blade alignment on a table saw?".

Zach England
05-15-2010, 4:34 PM
That, Zach, would be a gloat. Pics must follow. The rule is, no pics, didn't happen.

Finally here

Mitchell Andrus
05-15-2010, 4:43 PM
Sweet. Be careful with them, they don't care where you aim them.

Gloat????.... Yea, sure.

David Prince
05-16-2010, 9:36 AM
Is there a way to decipher the term Gloat or at least put a few restrictions on it?

If I have all the money in the world and I buy any tool I want, I could post here daily and call it my gloat. It would meet the definition, but would happen so often that you people would see my post and just blow it off.

Now, if I have all the money in the world and I buy any tool I want that is on sale or at a discounted rate, I could call it my gloat and you could also cash in on the deal if it was something you were looking for also or could enjoy my gloat with me.

Just buying a tool to buy it because you want it is cool, but not necessarily a "gloat" by itself. By posting that it is more of a "Brag" and is juvenile. Throw in getting a good deal on it, then you have some substance!

Some have and some have not. Getting a cool tool for a cool price is something everyone can appreciate. Just posting to brag your latest conquest is tiresome!

I have alot of tools. Some I have gotten good deals on. Some I have gotten great deals on. Some I just bought because I needed them at the time. Some I bought because I thought they were cool. If I come across a great tool at a great price, I will post.

P.S. the last time I checked I didn't have all the money in the world. Wife and kids take care of that for me after each paycheck. lol :D

Zach England
05-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Is there a way to decipher the term Gloat or at least put a few restrictions on it?

If I have all the money in the world and I buy any tool I want, I could post here daily and call it my gloat. It would meet the definition, but would happen so often that you people would see my post and just blow it off.

Now, if I have all the money in the world and I buy any tool I want that is on sale or at a discounted rate, I could call it my gloat and you could also cash in on the deal if it was something you were looking for also or could enjoy my gloat with me.

Just buying a tool to buy it because you want it is cool, but not necessarily a "gloat" by itself. By posting that it is more of a "Brag" and is juvenile. Throw in getting a good deal on it, then you have some substance!

Some have and some have not. Getting a cool tool for a cool price is something everyone can appreciate. Just posting to brag your latest conquest is tiresome!

I have alot of tools. Some I have gotten good deals on. Some I have gotten great deals on. Some I just bought because I needed them at the time. Some I bought because I thought they were cool. If I come across a great tool at a great price, I will post.

P.S. the last time I checked I didn't have all the money in the world. Wife and kids take care of that for me after each paycheck. lol :D

This is kind of what I thought, hence the question. I wanted to know if I could disguise being a braggart as a "gloat". Really, I was just boasting. Thanks for indulging my poor taste.