PDA

View Full Version : Nautical Faux Paux

Jim Creech
05-12-2010, 7:09 AM
Saw this at my marina yesterday. Not a wooden boat but a rather nice Cape Dory that had a bad day. At first glance I thought he had snagged a loose jib sheet however on closer examination there appears to be three separate lines wrapped around the shaft.

Steve Schoene
05-12-2010, 1:40 PM
I can see wrapping a line, but with enough force to tear out the cutless bearing, wow. Probably also means a bent shaft, and possibly some transmission damage.

Kent Parker
05-21-2010, 8:57 AM
More than the cutlass bearing, the line wrapped around the shaft tube with the engine running and pulled the line into the hull structure. Probably dislodged the shaft gland allowing more than a little water inside the boat.

Gotta say, in 25 years of inspecting boats, I haven't seen one like this. :eek:

Cheers,

Kent

Steve Schoene
05-21-2010, 9:30 AM
Do you have any idea of what the skipper wa doing to get things so badly bolluxed up? What he was not doing was paying attention.

Jim Creech
05-24-2010, 11:13 AM
I talked with the fellow that was with him at the time. They were in about 30 knots of wind when the jib cleat pulled loose. apparently the loose sail flapping took the other sheet over the side also. While this was happening they also blew out the mainsail.Didn't get to hear all of the story yet but at some point in time he must have started the engine to bring her into the wind and regain control thus fouling the prop. Yes, a large amount of water did enter thru the torn loose shaft log as reports indicated there was about 6" of freeboard left when they got to the marina, bilge pump and empty cooler bailing out.

Steve Schoene
05-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Yes, that makes sense, things get a little hectic when things like that happen. Thirty knots can do it do you, in part because it also means the seas aren't very flat as all heck is breaking loose. It's a real test of seamanship and the ability to keep a cool head.