PDA

View Full Version : Need camera suggestions...

Bonnie Campbell
05-12-2010, 6:56 AM
I'm going to be moving cross country and need to take GOOD pictures of valuables I'll be having shipped. Is there a reasonably priced camera that can take clear close up pictures without my having training in photography? I'll have a tripod to set the camera on to cut 'blur' (my usual problem now). Just want something automatic so I don't need to take ten pictures of each item hoping for one that you can see clearly.

TIA!

Chuck Wintle
05-12-2010, 7:56 AM
I'm going to be moving cross country and need to take GOOD pictures of valuables I'll be having shipped. Is there a reasonably priced camera that can take clear close up pictures without my having training in photography? I'll have a tripod to set the camera on to cut 'blur' (my usual problem now). Just want something automatic so I don't need to take ten pictures of each item hoping for one that you can see clearly.

TIA!

Don't forget to use proper lighting when taking pictures. this is as necessary as having a good camera.

Dennis McGarry
05-12-2010, 9:38 AM
Canon powershot g10 or g11 will fit the bill rather nicley and not just be another throw away PaS in a year...

will function as a great manual camera as well if you ever want it to.

otherwise, just about any Point and Shoot will do what you need.

Montgomery Scott
05-12-2010, 12:26 PM
I bought my kids the Canon A590IS camera for ~$110 through amazon. It's been a very good camera and has very good reviews. It doesn't sound like you need much of a camera so I'd recommend looking through amazon for well rated low cost cameras.

The one I bought has image stabilization which helps in low light situations if you don't have the steadiest of hands.

Bryan Morgan
05-12-2010, 3:58 PM

TIA!

How much do you want to spend? There are some very nice digital SLR cameras for ~ $500

Bonnie Campbell
05-12-2010, 4:44 PM
I'd be willing to spend up to $500 on a good camera. It'll get other uses, just at the moment it'll be a close up camera.

Dennis McGarry
05-12-2010, 5:30 PM
Great camera in that range is the nikon d3000, can be had under 500 shipped. Or check wally world of the blue guys, usually have instock for around 459.00 or so,

Great entry level DSLR, comes with the 18-55mm VR lens. Would not be disappointed at all.

I own the d40x, which was the predecessor to the d3000 and love it

Paul Atkins
05-12-2010, 6:35 PM
I love my new Canon G11. I think it was $450. It will auto focus almost on the front element and is sharp as a tack. Very good white balance adjustments and quick. It will practically take pictures in the dark without flash and is smaller than the SLR. This is about one fourth of the picture and low res for the web.

Bonnie Campbell
05-12-2010, 7:15 PM
I've been pretty impressed with the reviews I've been reading on the Canon G11. I know I can get it at Amazon, but is there a better place? Nothing local to walk in to around here to buy one, so I'll be online shopping.

Dennis McGarry
05-12-2010, 8:49 PM
Newegg,

B&H photo

adorama

Some best buys stock it as well
Flowood MS 194 Promenade Blvd, Flowood, MS 39232-8017

shows they have it in stock as well, slightly higher in price, but then you can return it right to store if you are un happy with it

Bryan Morgan
05-13-2010, 1:10 AM
Great camera in that range is the nikon d3000, can be had under 500 shipped. Or check wally world of the blue guys, usually have instock for around 459.00 or so,

Great entry level DSLR, comes with the 18-55mm VR lens. Would not be disappointed at all.

I own the d40x, which was the predecessor to the d3000 and love it

Same here, I also have the d40. Although it has all the fancy settings and its a more or less "normal" SLR, the automatic modes make it as easy to use as a throw away or point and shoot camera. Built in pop up flash is passable as well.

Bryan Morgan
05-13-2010, 1:12 AM
Newegg,

B&H photo

adorama

Some best buys stock it as well
Flowood MS 194 Promenade Blvd, Flowood, MS 39232-8017

shows they have it in stock as well, slightly higher in price, but then you can return it right to store if you are un happy with it

Careful with B&H Photo. I was just reading an article that was saying they are part of some big scamming ring.

I have bought literally thousands of dollars worth of stuff from newegg for home and work and never had an issue.

Bonnie Campbell
05-19-2010, 9:49 PM
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I got the Canon G11 today and am amazed at the clarity of the photos! :) Took some REALLY close close ups and detail is great. Just what I needed.

Thanks!!!!!!

David G Baker
05-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Bonnie,
No pics, didn't happen. :D

Bonnie Campbell
05-20-2010, 8:00 AM
Okay, okay, forgot about the 'no pictures didn't happen' clause LOL

The Camera...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/annieoakley/CloseupCamera.jpg

A pic of lil Bubba..... About 6 feet away from, zoomed in on him....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/annieoakley/BubbaCloseup.jpg

Sean Troy
05-20-2010, 8:07 AM
Careful with B&H Photo. I was just reading an article that was saying they are part of some big scamming ring.

I have bought literally thousands of dollars worth of stuff from newegg for home and work and never had an issue.

Can you point to the article you were reading. I'm not saying you didn't read the article but it's hard to believe the largest Photo/camera dealer in the world would risk scamming. thanks, Sean

David G Baker
05-20-2010, 8:47 AM
I agree with Sean. B&H has had a extremely good reputation for years, I would like to see that article as well.

David G Baker
05-20-2010, 8:48 AM
Bonnie,
It did happen, congratulations. Canon makes good products. Cute puppy.