PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi 16/32 drum sander

Mike OMelia
05-12-2010, 12:26 AM
I*do*not*know*much*about*them.**Anybody*here*have* any*thoughts*on*this*thickness*sander?*It*looks*an *awful*lot*like*a*performax...

Mike OMelia
05-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Sorry about all the "*", not sure what happened!

Van Huskey
05-12-2010, 2:55 AM
I can't help a lot but I do know that a lot of the parts interchange.

Dick Strauss
05-12-2010, 11:28 AM
My buddy has one...he has only one complaint about it...attaching the sandpaper end and getting it to stay put is a pain!

Bob Potter
05-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Hello Mike
I have a Ryobi 16/32 drum sander. I was trying to remember how long I have had this sander. I'm thinking about 15 years or so. I have had no problems what so ever with this sander. At the time I bought it,it was about $400.00 less than the competition. Putting the paper on is not easy. Getting it caught on the motor side as with the others is a struggle. All in all it does a good job if you take light passes.
One thing that I have been doing when putting on new paper is put double stick tape on the drum and that keeps the paper tighter and also keeps it from breaking.
Hope this helps, Bob

Brian Keith
05-13-2010, 12:49 AM
I had one for about 3 or 4 years and didnt have any problems with it. I recently sold it, I got a good deal on a delta 18-36. If not I would still have it.

ron jones1
05-17-2010, 6:59 PM
I have had one for several years. Great if you don't use it to plane. Only problem that I had is the drive/reducer gears wore out after quite a bit of use. Not too hard to repair and not too expensive. No way to lube the gears. Seems like a flaw in the design to me. Paper a little hard to install but worth the effort. Overall it isn't a high quality piece of equipment but I would recommend it for a hobbist like myself.

Peter Aeschliman
05-17-2010, 8:18 PM
I just bought one this weekend... I'm nervous about the sand paper, and it definitely needs some tune up and rust removal. But I'm excited to test it out.