PDA

View Full Version : Guess who was here!

John Miliunas
11-20-2004, 12:27 AM
I sure had a nice way to start off the weekend; Our buddy, Tyler Howell was good to his word and payed my family and me a visit, on his way to Milwaukee for his daughter's graduation. As a gift for my entry into some "Neander" tools, he even gifted me with a super glass lapping plate! :) He also brought along his fancy-dancy planes, as well as a number of chisels. Yup, he's got "it" bad! :rolleyes: That Neander class he attended sure took him down the big slide! I was able to glean some pointers from him on both, what to look for in a plane and a few tips and how-to's on sharpening them. (Uh...I've got a LOT to learn!) :o We had a nice meal LOML prepared for us, great conversation and a few funny stories. He also managed to make me feel a bit better regarding the disaster zone of a house we currently live in! He mentioned something about his kitchen being tore up for about 3 years while he worked on it! :eek:

Bottom line is, we had a super time and I'm looking forward to the next time we meet up. :) Thanks for stopping over, Tyler! As usual, you're ALWAYS welcome! :) :cool:

Mark Singer
11-20-2004, 12:34 AM
John,

Were you able to show him how to get the PM66 started? I am not sure it has ever run and now he is maling half blind dovetails....

John Miliunas
11-20-2004, 12:38 AM
John,

Were you able to show him how to get the PM66 started? I am not sure it has ever run and now he is maling half blind dovetails....

Naw, didn't turn on a single tool. BUT, he did mention that he had to shovel the sawdust off the PM before he got his Jet DC. (I told him not to put his Dewalt planer directly in FRONT of the saw! :rolleyes: ). Yup, he's really getting into the "old ways" of doing WW. Seems to be quite enthusiastic about it, too! :) :cool:

Dave Anderson NH
11-20-2004, 7:48 AM
I love it John. I would have to say the seduction is almost complete. A picture of a Creeker meeting on the power tool side and only Neander stuff to be seen.:D You'll note that I said "almost complete". The implication here is that our recent convert to the quiet side is now starting to preach the gospel of hand tools and you'll be next.:D Just think of the money you're going to save on electricity.

scott spencer
11-20-2004, 7:49 AM
Hi John - I'm not much into the Neander tools, but I do have a few basic hand tools. Last summer a neighbor gave me an old Sandusky 22" plane....it looks just like the one in front of Tyler. I've actually used it a little bit, I just wish I was better at setting them up!

Glad you guys had fun.

Ted Shrader
11-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Jooooohhhhhhnnnnn -

Are you standing on the precipice of the great slide? Say it ain't so!! :) :)

Glad you had a good visit.

Regards,
Ted

John Miliunas
11-20-2004, 1:51 PM
I love it John. I would have to say the seduction is almost complete. A picture of a Creeker meeting on the power tool side and only Neander stuff to be seen.:D You'll note that I said "almost complete". The implication here is that our recent convert to the quiet side is now starting to preach the gospel of hand tools and you'll be next.:D Just think of the money you're going to save on electricity.

Wait just a cottin', pickin' minute there, Dave! First, you will note that there you can easily identify, at least, one power tool off on the left side of the picture! :) (OK, maybe not a real high quality piece, but you plug it in, nonetheless!) EDIT: I just looked again and you can clearly scope out the Delta drum sander, as well as the Dewalt scroll saw, too!) Secondly, that layout of "push-pull" tools happened to be sitting on top of my outfeed table for the TS! So there! :) As for the "quiet side", it'll never happen! Among other things, I've got a pretty kick-butt sound system in the shop and my idea of relaxing music is the likes of "Rush", "Metallica", "Breaking Benjamin", etc.... The "relaxing" part may be when I want to "mellow" out and turn that "volume" knob down a notch or two! :D I'll give you the "save electricity" part BUT, at the price of these doggone Neander tools, I could buy a LOT of electrons! :) Not to mention the care and feeding of these things. Sheeeesh...That could become a hobby on to itself!

Seriously though, I am kinda' looking forward to seeing how I might improve (that should be pretty easy! :D ) on the quality and cratsmanship of my work. Just this morning, I spent a LOT of time with a ROS in hand, getting rid of tool marks from the planer. I'm thinking that maybe that LV scraper plane I'm getting, may have given me better results quicker! Time will tell. For right now, though, I will continue to look to the sky and give a big "Thanks" to my buddy Ben (Franklin, that is! :) ) :cool:

Jim Becker
11-20-2004, 2:05 PM
A visit from Tyler undoubtedly brings some sunshine!! :D

...and a new avitar. Not the best, but I couldn't get any more color correction in it without whacking the image.

Scott Parks
11-20-2004, 2:08 PM
Among other things, I've got a pretty kick-butt sound system in the shop and my idea of relaxing music is the likes of "Rush", "Metallica", "Breaking Benjamin", etc.... The "relaxing" part may be when I want to "mellow" out and turn that "volume" knob down a notch or two!
Yeah, Rock On! Don't worry John, you can plane and hand saw all you want. But, It's not truly all neander 'cause you've still got lights!:) And I bet you used electrons to size up your stock. Don't worry, you'll be just fine... Using those cordless tools to COMPLIMENT the AC/DC.:D :D :D

Jerry Olexa
11-20-2004, 7:29 PM
2 of my favorite posters! Must have been a good meeting.. But Tyler, where are YOUR Pictures of the trip?

John Shuk
11-20-2004, 8:02 PM
It would have to brighten anybody's day to meet Tyler. You can see the smile in every post.

Charles McKinley
11-20-2004, 8:13 PM
Danger Danger,

John he is infecting you with more hand tool cooties. Quick run some moulding throught the W&H!!!!!

The whoosh whoosh whoosh of fluffy shaving will be haunting you. ;)

Hey Tyler,

When ya comming through the Keystone state again????

John Miliunas
11-20-2004, 8:36 PM
[QUOTE=Charles McKinley]Danger Danger,

John he is infecting you with more hand tool cooties. Quick run some moulding throught the W&H!!!!!

The whoosh whoosh whoosh of fluffy shaving will be haunting you. ;)
QUOTE]

No fears, Chuck! Didn't need to fire up the W&H, but I did spend some quality time with the Dewalt planer and a couple of my Festool sanders today! :D :cool:

John Miliunas
11-20-2004, 8:37 PM
A visit from Tyler undoubtedly brings some sunshine!! :D

...and a new avitar. Not the best, but I couldn't get any more color correction in it without whacking the image.

Hey, I like that AND, yes, that smile is infectious! :) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
11-20-2004, 9:18 PM
Congrats on the visit John! Glad to hear you had a great time!

Byron Trantham
11-20-2004, 9:47 PM
without whacking the image.

And your point is... :D

Dale Thompson
11-20-2004, 10:27 PM
Hey Spring,
How much help do you NEED to get out in the shop?? Are your crutches a bit wobbly or do you need some extra pressure in the tires of your wheelchair? :rolleyes:

At least I now have two good looking folks associated with your shop - your daughter and Tyler! :)

Have our Badgers gone over the cliff-or what? :(

Dale T.

John Miliunas
11-20-2004, 10:42 PM
Hey Spring,
How much help do you NEED to get out in the shop?? Are your crutches a bit wobbly or do you need some extra pressure in the tires of your wheelchair? :rolleyes:

At least I now have two good looking folks associated with your shop - your daughter and Tyler! :)

Have our Badgers gone over the cliff-or what? :(

Dale T.

Naw, got rid of the crutches a while ago! :D Fact is, if I hand around inside the house too long, LOML keeps finding more projects for me to work on, so I go out there and pretend like I'm doing something. I try to fill the DC barrell every couple days or so and have her drag it to her friend's house for bedding in the barns. I guess she figures I must be doin' somethin', as long as I keep making that much sawdust! :D

I don't even want to talk about our Badgers! After Ohio handed them 1st class tickets to Pasadena, they decided to go Coach! Oh well...they still had a respectable season. :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
11-21-2004, 10:06 AM
And the one of the "Photo Cops" hasn't posted pictures??????????? :confused: :rolleyes: :D Who do we call? Chris is on another donut run, I'm sure!