PDA

View Full Version : cherry sofa table

Terry Achey
05-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Cherry sofa table with mortise & tenon joinery and Waterlox finish. My first time with Waterlox. Afer some trial and error with application methods ( about 7 coats), I found it fairly easy to use and I liked the final results. I'll probably polish with paste wax after a few weeks of final curing.

A fairly simple table to construct but it involves a total of 44 mortise & tenon joints! :eek:

Terry

Gary Breckenridge
05-12-2010, 12:06 AM
That's about as nice as it gets.:cool:

lowell holmes
05-12-2010, 8:11 AM
I like it. Is it your design?

Dave Anthony
05-12-2010, 2:36 PM
Very nice. It looks like the top and lower shelf are from single boards, ie, no glue up? What are the dimensions?

Joe Shinall
05-12-2010, 4:02 PM
Very nice Terry. I also really like the design. I'm about to do a crib so I'm sure I'll be up there past that 44 M/T joints. How long did it take you to build?

Terry Achey
05-12-2010, 9:47 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Lowell - actually, this is the first time I purchased a design. I was searching for something mission style and found this design with drawings on-line. I was really pleased with the qualtiy of the drawings and details. The only modification I incorporated was the edge of the top. The mission style drawing actually had a square edge with a slight bevel on the bottom side of the top.

Dave - the shelf is from a single board, but the top is a glue up w/biscuits of two boards. I actually had some really nice wide stock I purchased some time ago from a local sawmill. Dimensons of the top is 50" x 17"; shelf is 12.75"; height is 28"; legs are from 1.75" stock.

Joe - I didn't keep track of the time, but it probably took me about three weeks of working on it "when I had a couple hours to spare". It was a rather simple project but I had to spend a good bit of time just milling the rough stock down to dimension. Having "store bought" plans saved a good bit of time becasue I didn't have to first build my own plan and drawings. That was nice. ;) I spent one afternoon alone on just the M&T joints. All in all... fun build and I would do it again.

Terry