PDA

View Full Version : Help w/Bosch 4000 top not flat

David Figueroa
11-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Greetings,

I have the above table saw. The table top is not perfectly flat. On either side of the blade, if I place a straight edge parallel to the blade, the center is higher than the edges, in other words it see-saws.

This is not the case on the surfaces near the miter guides; they are perfectly flat.

I cant imagine this is typical, so should I get Bosch to fix it, or return the saw?

Thanks for your help.

Chuck Wintle
11-20-2004, 8:49 AM
I would return the saw if no adjustment is possible. By the way what material is the top made of?

Dana Van Pelt
11-20-2004, 10:33 AM
MIKE HERE: IMHO It is a construction saw, not a fine piece of furniture building saw. It was built for a contractor to drag around on the job site. I can not image that the table could be that far out that it would make any difference. Check it out with your dealer and see what words of wisdom he has. Good luck
If you need more precision that the Bosch saw is giving you, you are going to have to spend more money! UGH!
MIKE FROM AMERICAN SYCAMORE

David Figueroa
11-20-2004, 12:11 PM
The top is aluminum. I got it because it fits, and because I can move it around. I also got it before I found out about the festool system :( . But I like the saw, I have make several cuts with it... I will see if I can return it or get a replacement.

BTW does anyone know if any of the aftermarket blade guards, and anti kickback devices fit on contractor saws?

Fred Chan
11-21-2004, 4:13 PM
I took the straight edge to my bosch and found the same thing although I don't think the amount of crowning on my saw affects the way it cuts. Just curious but why are you looking at aftermarket blade guards and splitters? The splitter on the bosch goes up and down with the blade and works like a riving knife. When I get around to it I'm going make a blade height riving knife by tracing the bottom half of the splitter on a sheet of aluminum plate. However if you're intending to use the saw for fine woodworking you're probably better off buying a contractors saw with cast iron top.

David Figueroa
11-21-2004, 4:44 PM
Thanks Fred,

So I guess if I get another one it will be the same. I am concerned about ripping thin strips, hence the q above.

Dino Makropoulos
11-21-2004, 4:54 PM
Greetings,

I have the above table saw. The table top is not perfectly flat. On either side of the blade, if I place a straight edge parallel to the blade, the center is higher than the edges, in other words it see-saws.

This is not the case on the surfaces near the miter guides; they are perfectly flat.

I cant imagine this is typical, so should I get Bosch to fix it, or return the saw?

Thanks for your help.

If you like the saw, you can make it flat with a belt sander.
It will take you few minutes.
Good luck.
YCF Dino