PDA

View Full Version : from log to waxed cylinder blank

Martin Rock
05-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Hi

I am new to turning so I would appreciate some comments on this

I got some nice logs 9" -10" in diameter and some 3" to 4" branches of spalted maple from a tree felled 2 years ago.

Since I wasn`t sure yet what type of turning I wanted to do with these logs I didn`t want to commit to cut it into blanks yet. But I wanted to get a look at the spalted wood. So I turned the logs between centers just enough to remove the bark, bring the logs into cylinders and expose the spalted wood. I didn`t hollow the logs. Once rounded, I applied beeswax to the log as it was turning. After that, I sealed the log ends with a sealer and store the log into a shed outside until I know what to do with them.

I applied beeswax because I have a lot at hand and I wanted to slow down the drying to prevent cracking

How does that sound?

Oh yes, the spalted wood do looks nice :o)

Thanks

Martin

Bill Bolen
05-11-2010, 11:24 PM
With the bark gone you are likely to get a bit of surface cracking. Happend to me once or twice... Better off to seal the whole log with anchor seal and be safe.

alex carey
05-12-2010, 1:53 AM
im with Willian, keep the bark intact, its about the best sealant there is. Anchor seal the rest.

Donny Lawson
05-12-2010, 6:34 AM
I love spalted maple or any other spalted wood for that matter.You need to share some pictures if you can.I've got spalted wood all over my shop and I'm working on making more.
Donny

James Combs
05-12-2010, 8:14 AM
Spalted wood is definitely an eye catcher so what ever you do try not to loose a single chip of it.;)

I love spalted maple or any other spalted wood for that matter.You need to share some pictures if you can.I've got spalted wood all over my shop and I'm working on making more.
Donny

Donny, you say you are working on making more. Don't want to shanghai this thread so send me a PM on the "How To" if there is some method for creating spalting. Or maybe there is already a how to thread someplace that someone can direct me to.

Steve Schlumpf
05-12-2010, 8:34 AM
Martin - Welcome to the Creek! Looking forward to seeing photos of your work!

James - lots of info on the Creek on spalting. Here is one: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=138923&highlight=spalting

Bernie Weishapl
05-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Martin, welcome to SMC. I agree with William that I would have left the bark intact. You are probably going to have some surface cracking even with wax on it. I haven't had real good luck with sealing with wax. Anchorseal the whole log would be my next step. Hope to see some pictures of turnings soon.

Reed Gray
05-12-2010, 11:19 AM
One thing to do on a cylinder that you want to keep is to round over the ends of the blank, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch radius. this helps to prevent end checking. I do wrap some of them in the stretch plastic film.

robo hippy