PDA

View Full Version : How do you store chunks o' wood?

Jamie Straw
05-11-2010, 9:35 PM
We cleared a space outside on the north side of the garage and I get to store whatever part-logs, chunks, etc., of wood I want to there. Being in the heavily wooded Great Northwest, there will be plenty to scavenge from. Seeking info from others who have a pile somewhere on their property -- what's the best way to store this stuff? Pics, of course, are welcome!

Bernie Weishapl
05-11-2010, 9:47 PM
Sorry Jamie don't have any pictures of mine but I use pallets to store my logs on. I cut them 4 to 6 inches longer than I need them and apply two coats of anchorseal to the ends. They are covered with a tarp to keep them dry. When I cut them into bowl blanks they are stored inside a storage building. It is unheated or has AC. So far after almost 5 years it has worked well.

Nathan Hawkes
05-11-2010, 10:37 PM
It depends on how large the logs are/were. Some logs I have in the shade, sealed on the ends, and 6-8 feet long, 12-14" in diameter. Back the truck up, pick up one end, rest on tailgate, pick up other end, push like you mean it. ;). Larger logs I cut into usable pieces wherever I'm collecting them. its easiest then to remove all pith, and get them to roughly the size I want to be turning, giving an inch or two extra in appropriate directions. I lather on the anchorseal very liberally, coating a couple sides at a time, then turning, and repeating when its dry enough to turn. It takes much longer this way, but I lose very few blanks this way if they are really coated well. Pieces that I coated more than a year ago are still quite moist on the inside, and have not checked, even those 6-8" thick. Clarification: I coat all surfaces but the bark side. If the bark is missing, I am hesitant to leave any surface uncoated; Wax can be easily removed using a scraper blade or a fingernail from natural edge bowls if any remains after turning. One thing I've done recently that I can already tell has helped me is to move my entire pile to a spot that doesn't get any direct sun; I had tarps before, but in the sun, it gets hot under there! The blanks are on a couple of old pallets, up off the ground, and covered. I noticed I'd forgotten to coat a couple surfaces a few weeks ago, but had no checking at all even on endgrain. I forgot to mention that I put down a bit of boric acid around the pallets, as well as on the ground underneath. From what I understand, this is not toxic, and helps to keep carpenter ants out of my roughly 1 cord of sealed blanks.

alex carey
05-11-2010, 11:01 PM
I just stack it all in my basement, stays pretty cool in there. You can see all of the bigger stuff there, the smaller stuff I keep in large boxes off to the side.

That pic is a few years old but you get the idea. I no longer use plastic bags.

Reed Gray
05-12-2010, 11:25 AM
In the winter time, it doesn't matter with all the rain we get. In the summer, I lay out a tarp, put down a thick layer of shavings, get them wet (not damp) put the logs on end grain, pile on more shavings till completely covered, then get them wet, then totally cover with another tarp. Any exposure to wind and sun will create cracks. The wet cover also promotes spalting. Some times I end seal with old oil finish, or anchorseal. If it is kept wet, not a lot of need to seal, especially if you cut a bit longer than the diameter of the log.

robo hippy

Jamie Straw
05-12-2010, 7:57 PM
In the winter time, it doesn't matter with all the rain we get. In the summer, I lay out a tarp, put down a thick layer of shavings, get them wet (not damp) put the logs on end grain, pile on more shavings till completely covered, then get them wet, then totally cover with another tarp. Any exposure to wind and sun will create cracks. The wet cover also promotes spalting. Some times I end seal with old oil finish, or anchorseal. If it is kept wet, not a lot of need to seal, especially if you cut a bit longer than the diameter of the log.

robo hippy

Hi, Reed. That's how I'm going to take care of the Madrona logs, thanks to your thorough answer in that thread. Here, I'm thinking of more stable species (yeah, that's all the rest :) ), smaller chunks, bowl blanks, etc. I've seen pics of plain ol' piles-o'-wood, and some where they are more organized on shelves and such. Just curious how various people here go about it.

Speaking of the Madrona, have to spring some time soon to go load a pick-up full of shavings to take care of that big stack! We'll lay them out single layer and cover. They'll have to be on their sides though, can't imagine getting enough shaving to cover them when standing up without cutting them into shorter lengths.

Reed Gray
05-13-2010, 11:51 AM
If you don't have enough shavings, then you have to spend more time turning. That is as good of an excuse as any to spend more time in the shop.

robo hippy

Jamie Straw
05-13-2010, 11:58 PM
If you don't have enough shavings, then you have to spend more time turning. That is as good of an excuse as any to spend more time in the shop.

robo hippy

Oooo, am I being chastised?:eek::) First things first, take care of the wood that'll self-destruct if left laying where it is. Already lost some promising maple. Hubby let me use the 24" Husqvarna chain saw last night for the first time. WOW!!! That puppy's strong!! Finished up with the good maple that's here at home. Tomorrow is an alder that's been down for a several months. They can go from "OK" to "rotten" overnight, with a brief state of "spalted" inbetween. Then some free time to learn how to use a faceplate and get started on a bowl.