PDA

View Full Version : A lesson learned

Brendan Plavis
05-11-2010, 7:49 PM
Now who was the idiot who says that he doesnt wear safety glasses........ oh wait... I think that was I...

Well I learned that was definately the wrong philosophy...

I was cutting some open ended moise(turning some small scraps into a little rudamentry shelf.) I had knocked them out with a screwdriver(the small fingers from cutting it on the BS) and was smoothing it out with the bandsaw(trying to get rid of most of the bumps) when a piece flew off and hit me in the eye. I imediately ran upstairs and pulled it out(small maybe 1/2 mm piece) and rinsed with contact solution(thankfully I didnt have them in, but it works well since its sterile water.)

Well, one bloodshot eye and a,what could have been much, much worse, close call, later, and I think I am changing my philosopy to wearing safety glasses.... I think the discomfort of them is a little better than the permenant discomfort of a glass eye....

Well, hopefully that is it on the close calls...

Now to the question... Are safety glasses that you use for shooting, an acceptable grade for woodworking?

-Thanks
Brendan

Neil Brooks
05-11-2010, 8:07 PM
Lessons learned the hard way ... sadly ... tend to stick the best.

Keep a close ... well ... eye ... on that eye. If you have burning, stinging, ongoing redness, or ANYTHING ... see an eye doctor.

Without knowing what glasses you're talking about ... I'd say spend ten bucks and get a pair of polycarbonate safety glasses at the hardware store.

Let's hope this was your one freebie ... and that there's no long-term consequences.

Brendan Plavis
05-11-2010, 8:20 PM
Nothin in life is free.... probably hense the burning in my eye...(Ill give it a day or so, since the its fresh...)

The glasses are probably $50 pair(not sure, my shooting team gave them to us...)

Neil Brooks
05-11-2010, 8:37 PM
If they're "proper" shooting glasses, then it's verrrrry likely they have adequate impact resistance, for woodworking use.

But ... if it were me ... I'd either ....

- look hard for any text on the frames, then Google the brand and model, to see what it says about them (polycarb is good), or

- bring them WITH me to the EYE DOCTOR (:eek:), while I was having my EYE looked at, and ask HIM/HER whether "these'll do."

Who was it .... Kent, the moderator ... who equated the risks with his unilateral hearing loss ??

Between his ears and MY eyes ... either do your homework ON the shooting specs you've got or ... spend a few bucks and get a pair you KNOW will be okay.

Like....

Here's (http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3198357&cp=2568443.2568450.2628080.2629233) what fourteen bucks gets you.

That's LESS than the insurance co-pay for ONE eye doc visit :o

Bruce Page
05-11-2010, 8:41 PM
Brendan, I’m glad your life lesson wasn’t any more serious. Shooting glasses would work fine. Personally, I wear Z-87 rated safety glasses. Whatever you decide on make sure that they are expensive enough that you will take care of them. Nothing worse than scratched up glasses.

Brendan Plavis
05-11-2010, 8:45 PM
Brendan, I’m glad your life lesson wasn’t any more serious. Shooting glasses would work fine. Personally, I wear Z-87 rated safety glasses. Whatever you decide on make sure that they are expensive enough that you will take care of them. Nothing worse than scratched up glasses.

I know.... the glasses I have, have a small chunk scratched up, because the first day I went shooting, the muzzel kicked up(it was .22, but it was prone; I am more of a standing shooter(awkward positions...) and took the chunk.... I was fuming... Off topic, but I laugh, I can shoot Ar-15 fine.. I go to shoot a .22 and all hell breaks loose... :D

Ill definately research them though.....

Thanks
-Brendan

Kyle Iwamoto
05-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Hope all is well with your eye. I had close enough calls a couple times, so I'm almost anal with safety equipment....... I almost never do anything without at least safety glasses. Or a face shield. Hearing protection. (good thing I'm typing) Dust mask. The list goes on....... Everytime I feel something bounce off the safety glasses and hit me, I'm happy.

Oh, personally, I use them cheapos from the BORG. Toss them when they get scratched. They're ANSI rated. They now have those cool ones that have reading lenses :). I'd also avoid tinted. They look cool, but seeing is more important. Different story if you're outdoors...

ben grossman
05-11-2010, 10:52 PM
You can get Z87 rated safety glasses for less than $3 that are comfortable and have a very good field of vision. Starlite is one model (can't remember mfr--starts with G), AOSafety makes some, etc. We use them at work, and I've bought some for home. You don't see a frame, because there isn't one, they have very good coverage, etc.

I use some 3M safety lens goggles when doing particularly rough work, like demoing stuff, to keep the drifting junk out of my eyes.

Dennis McGarry
05-11-2010, 11:16 PM
I know the feeling, I used to wear my safety glasses only when doing major work, until I had to cut one small 3" strip. Grabbed the little cordless dewalt and made the cut, well in that 1 small cut, got a small piece of sawdust in the right eye, rinsed and blah blah, well 6 hours later had to keep the eye closed to avoid the itch and pain.

Went to doc, had to remove with a cotton swab and all that, two nice scratches on cornea. Almost really bad day.

Since then they go on every time I cut anything now.

Some lessons we learn the hard way but we do learn...

Van Huskey
05-11-2010, 11:49 PM
There are a lot of people that have learned the same lesson the same way. I know one of them well, that would be me. :(

Rick Markham
05-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Glad ya learned the lesson! Do your research on your specs, watch your eye closesly, if the chunk you took was embedded in anyway in your eye, you better get your butt to the eye doctor immediately! If it was embedded the chance of your eye hemoraging is very real, permanent blindness can happen ;) Hopefully ya just got a scare! WEAR YOUR GLASSES!!! :D

Keep an eye (i know... pun intended) on your eye! The eye heals 4 times faster than any other part of your body, which means if it isn't significantly better REAL soon, you need to go to the doc!

Good luck! Keep yer fingers outa that durn thang too!!!!

Joe Chritz
05-12-2010, 12:23 AM
I know.... the glasses I have, have a small chunk scratched up, because the first day I went shooting, the muzzel kicked up(it was .22, but it was prone; I am more of a standing shooter(awkward positions...) and took the chunk.... I was fuming... Off topic, but I laugh, I can shoot Ar-15 fine.. I go to shoot a .22 and all hell breaks loose... :D

Ill definately research them though.....

Thanks
-Brendan

My shooting glasses are also my day to day glasses. Oakley's with interchangeable lenses. I use them in my shop with the clear lenses. They will stop anything out there. I specifically got the clear lenses for doing building raids so I imagine they are plenty fine for a woodshop.

On an unrelated note the second day I had them I gouged them up right by the nose. Something about the way I hold an AR while moving makes the charging handle hit almost at the center. It gets them every time. All my shooting glasses have matching marks.

Joe

Brendan Plavis
05-12-2010, 7:26 AM
I know the feeling, I used to wear my safety glasses only when doing major work, until I had to cut one small 3" strip. Grabbed the little cordless dewalt and made the cut, well in that 1 small cut, got a small piece of sawdust in the right eye, rinsed and blah blah, well 6 hours later had to keep the eye closed to avoid the itch and pain.

Went to doc, had to remove with a cotton swab and all that, two nice scratches on cornea. Almost really bad day.

Since then they go on every time I cut anything now.

Some lessons we learn the hard way but we do learn...

Thats what I am having right now... I am walking around with one eye closed inorder not to have an itch, a burning sinsation(sp...) If I close the other eye for a sec, and open the one that is bothering me, everything appears blurred... In about an hour, I am off to Urgent Care to have it looked at(its not just for urgencies, its just that its quicker than going to my MD.)

Well the good news is now my father is going to pitch in to get me a pair of glasses(his mother chewed him out after hearing that I got something in my eye..)

My shooting glasses are also my day to day glasses. Oakley's with interchangeable lenses. I use them in my shop with the clear lenses. They will stop anything out there. I specifically got the clear lenses for doing building raids so I imagine they are plenty fine for a woodshop.

On an unrelated note the second day I had them I gouged them up right by the nose. Something about the way I hold an AR while moving makes the charging handle hit almost at the center. It gets them every time. All my shooting glasses have matching marks.

Joe

I hear you regarding the AR; my rifle team once in a while lets us use the big guns, and that pesky charging handel gets in the way of ADS accurately. But hey, I cant argue... due to them I have gotten to shoot guns I could never afford(.30 MG, .30-30 Carbine, M1 Garand, AR, AK-47, .44Mag, .45, .38, etc...)

Thanks for the recommendations guys..
-Brendan

Matt Day
05-12-2010, 8:11 AM
Last time I ordered from McMaster Carr I picked up some of their sub $3 safety glasses, and I've been very happy with them. They fit well, don't obstruct your view, and are clear. And for $3 I'll toss them if they get scratched up.

Jerome Hanby
05-12-2010, 9:13 AM
If you have a Woodcraft close by, the fastcap brand they sell (semi wrap around style) are pretty comfortable. I've bought several pairs with different tints for about $6 a pair (I keep the dark ones in the car for sunglasses). They also have several models with different levels of magnification...

Rick Markham
05-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Y'all need to get ya some of these... (disregard the horrid mustache, it isn't ANSI approved)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/010.jpg

Who ever thought eye protection could look sooooooo durn good :p

Rick Markham
05-12-2010, 11:27 AM
That pic should probably have come with a warning...:eek:

Rob Steffeck
05-12-2010, 12:01 PM
First off, I have to give Brendan credit for coming on here and admiting he was wrong after the lambasting he took in the other thread. That seems pretty mature for a 15 year old.

I don't particularly enjoy wearing safety glasses and they can be a pain in the arse at times. I found there were two main reasons they were going unused.

#1: They got dirty / dusty / scratched / foggy and hindered my view.
#2: I can't find them exactly when I need them. The ones I used to use had clear frames so sometimes they were hard to find.

So to address these issues I now buy the multi-pack of safety glasses with non-clear frames and leave them at numerous places around the shop. I also treat them with anti-static / anti-fog solution and it helps immensely. I throw them out as soon as they get scratched.

I'm glad you learned your lesson with a relatively minor incident. Be safe.

Jim Rimmer
05-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Brendan:

Three comments:
1. I googled shooting glasses and a couple of sites have specs that said they meet or exceed ANSI Z87. Check yours for that number.
2. Hope your eye heals quickly with no long term issues.
3. I hope you learned to listen to the experienced guys here at the Creek. They are trying to help and your really need to consider what they have to say.

Peter Aeschliman
05-12-2010, 1:11 PM
It seems to me that people are less likely to wear safety glasses than they are to, say, use a push stick on the table saw. I think it's mostly because glasses can be uncomfortable to those of us who aren't used to wearing them, and it's easy to think "I only need to make one quick cut."

I would WAY rather lose a finger than lose an eye. Just think about that for a second.

To me, it's not even a close comparison. Yet I think people really underestimate the importance of safety glasses.

Not to say I'd want to lose a finger either (I bought a sawstop for this reason).

Rob Fisher
05-12-2010, 3:45 PM
I have to wear prescription glasses, so I always have them on. One day my 7 month old son was standing in my lap and accidentally poked me in the eye, his little finger slide right up and under my glasses and poked me right in the center of my eye. Ended up scratching my cornea (excruciatingly painful). I could not see right for two weeks. I had re-occurrence 5 months later (apparently after it happens once your eye is more susceptible and the cornea can just spontaneously break down). Same thing, very painful, two weeks of messed up vision.

All of this to say that I didn't normally were safety glasses over my prescription glasses when in the shop. My prescription glasses are polycab so no concern of breakage. Now, I wear wrap around safety glasses over my prescription glasses anytime I might possibly get something in my eyes. After my experiences it is just not worth it to take a chance.

Rob

Nathan Palenski
05-12-2010, 4:02 PM
Something about the way I hold an AR while moving makes the charging handle hit almost at the center. It gets them every time. All my shooting glasses have matching marks.

Nose to the charging handle?

Joe Chritz
05-12-2010, 4:33 PM
Nose to the charging handle?

Naturally I am getting off topic a bit but of course. Is there any other way?

I have had those same glasses take splash back from shooting steel targets with handgun rounds.

You won't catch me on a range or in a shop without them. Scratched up or not.

Joe

Brendan Plavis
05-12-2010, 4:42 PM
Yea... I am not a happy camper...

I go to urgent care... they that nothings wrong.... but they havent the equipment to know that.... I go to an obtomatrist, they tell me its mostlikely a sub-dermal scratch. So they decide it would be fun to stick me on an anti inflamatory, steriod, junk that makes my eye water... And on top of that, they dialate the darned eye...

And still very bad sight out of that eye(everything is blury(better from the AI) Now it looks like I am constantly crying, and lights are now buggin me....(I can see halos around the lights...)

Safe to say, I am stickin with the Safety glasses from now on....

I dont know what I am going to do tommorrow... if my eye is still bugging me(it still burns and only helps to keep the eye closed) there is no way I can stick it through a school day(the florensents in the offices were killing me(ended up having to close the eye to walk around.) I mean, it doesnt help to walk around all day with one eye closed... Not to mention, as it is, I am having to sit in the dark, since my eyelid is killin'(even the computer is driving me nuts...) But at the same time, I am about maxed out on sick days(I had H1N1 for 10days and the rest is stomache related.) Stuck between a rock and half blind place...

Neil Brooks
05-12-2010, 6:51 PM
And on top of that, they dialate the darned eye...

Odds are VERY good that they used a WEAK dilating drop (cycloplegic), like Mydriacyl.

It (the effects of the drops) will be over by tomorrow morning.

Don't freak out unnecessarily about the use of something like a steroid drop, or a steriod/antibiotic combo, for a short period of time.

If there's damage, that WILL help heal, and reduce inflammation, in the meantime.

The optometrist is the right thing to do. They'll let you know whether or not your situation requires an MD (ophthalmologist).

Hang in there. See this thing through. Take your parents up on the $$ for the glasses :)

Joe Chritz
05-12-2010, 7:13 PM
It gets better after a few days usually.

Many years ago I bounced a small brass shard off my nose and into my eye while use a metal lathe and I was wearing glasses.

It stuck and had to be removed by a doc with a q tip thing. My eye was watering so bad it was like a faucet was left on. Took about 3 or 4 days before it stopped hurting.

Eyes are nothing to mess around with.

Joe

Brendan Plavis
05-12-2010, 7:25 PM
Odds are VERY good that they used a WEAK dilating drop (cycloplegic), like Mydriacyl.

It (the effects of the drops) will be over by tomorrow morning.

Don't freak out unnecessarily about the use of something like a steroid drop, or a steriod/antibiotic combo, for a short period of time.

If there's damage, that WILL help heal, and reduce inflammation, in the meantime.

The optometrist is the right thing to do. They'll let you know whether or not your situation requires an MD (ophthalmologist).

Hang in there. See this thing through. Take your parents up on the $$ for the glasses :)

I wasnt complaining about the seroid, since I have taken them for asthema(seems to have went away) I was just complaining how they seem to enjoy the water works.....

The guy said that it might still hang around tommorrow... the dialatedness...... $10 says that if I go to school, I get atleast one talk from an admin for dialated pupils..(aka drugs...) :o

And I plan on it.... I like my vision.... I could cope missing a finger , but missing an eye is different... you have 10 fingers... you only have 2 eyes....

Chris Kennedy
05-12-2010, 8:39 PM
Brendan,

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. I use Wiley X safety glasses. I wear prescription glasses day-to-day, and these were the one of the few frames that could handle the prescription for my astigmatic eyes. They are commonly used for shooting, so they should be good for you. And as pointed out earlier, anything that is ANSI Z87 rated should work just fine.

Unfortunately for you, the father in me is now going to come out. In your original posts on this, I made the comment on the immortality of youth, and told you to wear safety glasses. I was not alone in this, and as a whole, this forum has resisted the urge to say "I told you so," because we know it is too late and it is just rubbing salt in the wound. I do hope you recover quickly and by the way, don't mess around. Go see an ophthalmologist ASAP.

That being said, you also made the point that you don't wear ear protection, and this is where the father in me is going to come out. Don't learn the same lesson with your ears the hard way.

Start wearing hearing protection now. I have lost hearing through some great heavy metal, and machinery is only making it worse. It isn't worth it.

Cheers,

Chris

Brendan Plavis
05-12-2010, 8:50 PM
I already went to see the obtomitrist. I definately am heeding the safety glasses thing, but I cannot do hearing protection too, to me, I need to be able to hear the sounds of the machine to judge on my feedrate(bandsaw makes a particular noise when you feed too fast or turn too tight) and to ensure things are okay(like to be able to hear the clicking that means shut it off before the blade snaps...)

I will definately try and go this weekend(hopefully) and get a decent pair.

-Brendan

Dennis McGarry
05-12-2010, 9:06 PM
I already went to see the obtomitrist. I definately am heeding the safety glasses thing, but I cannot do hearing protection too, to me, I need to be able to hear the sounds of the machine to judge on my feedrate(bandsaw makes a particular noise when you feed too fast or turn too tight) and to ensure things are okay(like to be able to hear the clicking that means shut it off before the blade snaps...)

-Brendan

The ear protection doesnt block it all out, it muffles it. And you would be surprised at the difference.

I use a pair of vic-firth headphones, when using TS, BS or a planer. You can still hear everything it just stops it from being loud enough to do any damage.

glenn bradley
05-12-2010, 9:24 PM
At 55, I pretty much wear glasses all the time. I took advantage of that and had some Rx safety glasses made; about the size of Rick's but metal frames with the side shields. Now I don't have to remember to wear them, they're on whenever I am in the shop ;-)

Glad you didn't lose the eye, a new one is a lot more than the glasses cost. Oh wait, that's right, you can't get a new one for any amount of money ;-)

Rick Markham
05-12-2010, 9:24 PM
Having had to wear hearing protection for 8+ hours a day working in an industrial environment you would be surprised how acute your hearing becomes, your mind compensates very rapidly, (I can hear someone whispering, very clearly, behind me in a loud environment with lots of commotion going on) Just start wearing them Brendan, you will be surprised how rapidly your brain adjusts. I would even be willing to say, I can hear minute details much better, since the background noise is muffled with mine on. Or invest in a pair of electronic ones, the are great for the range too. I have always wanted a pair, but have never seen the point in them once you are used to ear muffs. I'm sure they are very nice though ;)

Joe Chritz
05-12-2010, 10:02 PM
One name in ears.....Peltor.

The good ones actually make hearing stuff easier since they amplify everything under a certain Db level.

Even so a regular set of muffs or foam plugs doesn't block out enough to not hear what is going on. A 30 Db reduction is pretty good and I know that just the air going through my dust collector averages about 75 Db.

Joe

Mike Cruz
05-13-2010, 12:51 PM
While shooting glasses will probably work, most of them don't give you the full protection that shop safety glasses give you. What I mean by that is that most of the shooting glasses I've seen are like mine (they look much like regular glasses), whereas shop glasses protect more area, and even help keep out dust.

There was a poster on the wall of my Industrial Arts class way back in 9th grade. It said this, and it stuck with me:

Lisa never liked to where her safety glasses in the shop.

Now she doesn't have to.

Jim Rimmer
05-13-2010, 1:00 PM

-Brendan
Brendan, the experienced guys here tried to tell you to wear safety glasses and you po-pooed that idea and now you have learned the hard way they were right and you should have listened to them. Now they are telling you to wear hearing protections and you are telling them you can't do that either. What is wrong with this picture?

mreza Salav
05-13-2010, 2:07 PM
I guess you never watched Norm ;)
I always wear saftey glasses if I am using a tool (even chisels), always.
If I am operating router or planer (which are loud) I wear hearing protection too, but not when using table saw as the noise is low.
I also were dust mask when creating dust.
The combination of glasses+hearing protection+dust mask is not comfortable at all but I would choose this anyday over loosing the functionality of any of my limbs to even a fraction of it!

Mike Cruz
05-13-2010, 3:29 PM
Uhhhhhh, he's a teenager.... Why would he listen? He hasn't seemed to heed any advice to this point. Like most teens, he has to learn the hard way. Jim, he knows what is best for him. We know nothing. He has the world figured out. We are adults, and therefore are obviously here to steer him wrong. Remember, he is an experienced woodworker. He's been doing this for a very long time....most of his life. We all probably ought to be looking to him for advice.

Oh, and Jim, LOVE the typo that you consequently fixed. ;) :D

Neil Brooks
05-13-2010, 5:26 PM
Uhhhhhh, he's a teenager.... Why would he listen? He hasn't seemed to heed any advice to this point. Like most teens, he has to learn the hard way. Jim, he knows what is best for him. We know nothing. He has the world figured out. We are adults, and therefore are obviously here to steer him wrong. Remember, he is an experienced woodworker. He's been doing this for a very long time....most of his life. We all probably ought to be looking to him for advice.

Feel better ?

:rolleyes:

Mike Cruz
05-13-2010, 5:45 PM
I do what I can...;)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-13-2010, 6:03 PM
Hey Guys...

Let's cut the kid some slack.

As the oldest of 6 kids I still haven't figured out how my parents survived. My younger brother loves to tell stories I can't post at this site.

In fact, my father died of a heart attack at age 46 and left Mom with 3 kids still in high school.

Mom survives today. How she maintained any sanity is beyond me.

Regardless.......all of us old geezers were teenagers once and ....a bunch of us including moi had to learn the hard way........

Alan Schwabacher
05-13-2010, 6:58 PM
It's worth having more than one pair of safety glasses because one will get scratched up, and you will still want to be able to see clearly.

In my opinion, I can better tell how my machines are behaving by listening to them while I am wearing hearing protection than without. It took a little to get used to the sound with them on, but they don't interfere. If you really need to be able to hear quiet things, there are electronic versions that block sounds, but also have a microphone to pick up sound and play it for you -- as long as it's not too loud, in which case it cuts out.

There was a good quote from "So Big" by Edna Ferber that went something like:
"People need to make their own mistakes. And they get upset with you if you try to keep them from making theirs."

My last comment is just that if you think wearing safety glasses is a pain in the arse, you may be wearing them wrong.

Jerry Bruette
05-13-2010, 7:59 PM
Hey Guys...

Let's cut the kid some slack.

As the oldest of 6 kids I still haven't figured out how my parents survived. My younger brother loves to tell stories I can't post at this site.

In fact, my father died of a heart attack at age 46 and left Mom with 3 kids still in high school.

Mom survives today. How she maintained any sanity is beyond me.

Regardless.......all of us old geezers were teenagers once and ....a bunch of us including moi had to learn the hard way........

I don't think we're trying to beat up on Brendan...but.

He got a freebie with the eyes. You don't get freebies with your ears. I know from experience that once yor hearing is gone it's gone. And you don't lose just your hearing you lose your ability to communicate.

Brendan, if you'd like to listen to and understand your kids and grandkids some day please wear some type of hearing protection.

Heck if it'll help I can even send you some samples of ear plugs for free.:)

PM me if your interested.

Jerry

Neil Brooks
05-13-2010, 8:04 PM

I'd generally agree, but ... only generally. It was heading that way.

In another thread, he did get a beating ;)

The thing I'm trying to remember is ... HE'S acting HIS age (YIKES!). Are WE acting OURS ? :)

For every Brendan Plavis out there, doing dangerous stuff ... at least THIS "kid" IS asking for our advice. The LAST thing I'd want to do is scare him away.

I'm not much of a talented woodworker ... sadly. Maybe I'll be better, with time. But ... it would do MY heart some good to think that I played ANY role in encouraging and mentoring the next generation of tool addicts :D

Brendan Plavis
05-13-2010, 8:09 PM

He got a freebie with the eyes. You don't get freebies with your ears. I know from experience that once yor hearing is gone it's gone. And you don't lose just your hearing you lose your ability to communicate.

Brendan, if you'd like to listen to and understand your kids and grandkids some day please wear some type of hearing protection.

Heck if it'll help I can even send you some samples of ear plugs for free.:)

PM me if your interested.

Jerry

Thanks, but sadly I must decline... I am not sure what the parents would say if I 'randomly' recieved hearing pro from a guy named Jerry.... :eek:

And now losing the hearing wouldnt be a bad thing... particularly with the grandparents.... okay, now I am joking....:D...

-Brendan

Ken Fitzgerald
05-13-2010, 8:16 PM
Jerry,

Apparently you didn't see the other thread.

I have about 30% of normal hearing. I'm totally deaf in my right ear with tonitius in it.

I have about 40-50% hearing in the other ear but the tonitus in the right ear subtracts from that so......30% of normal hearing....

Music WAS my great love and release from job stress. Past tense.

There is nobody more concerned about Brendan's hearing here at SMC than I. I know what it's like to lose a significant amount of hearing.

I would sincerely encourage him to wear some kind of hearing protection...otherwise his family and friends will find themselves forced to shout and he will have to resort to trying to read lips and making a lot of mistakes because he misunderstands what someone is saying.

However......I didn't want this dicussion to become a shouting match or a personal attack.

It doesn't matter how many times you tell him...... and insulting him isn't going change his mind either.

Until he realizes that the people here aren't trying to be jerks. We are really concerned about his well being and him NOT having to learn the hard way....like some of us did.... Until he realizes this and decides he is concerned enough about his own well being to learn to use hearing protection....more piling on isn't going to help.

Do you get my drift? Can you hear me? Good.....I wish I could!

mreza Salav
05-13-2010, 8:18 PM
A quote that I liked very much when reading:
By the time he realizes his father might have been right he has a son who thinks he is wrong!
and it goes on....

Jerry Bruette
05-13-2010, 8:33 PM
Jerry,

Apparently you didn't see the other thread.

I have about 30% of normal hearing. I'm totally deaf in my right ear with tonitius in it.

I have about 40-50% hearing in the other ear but the tonitus in the right ear subtracts from that so......30% of normal hearing....

Music WAS my great love and release from job stress. Past tense.

There is nobody more concerned about Brendan's hearing here at SMC than I. I know what it's like to lose a significant amount of hearing.

I would sincerely encourage him to wear some kind of hearing protection...otherwise his family and friends will find themselves forced to shout and he will have to resort to trying to read lips and making a lot of mistakes because he misunderstands what someone is saying.

However......I didn't want this dicussion to become a shouting match or a personal attack.

It doesn't matter how many times you tell him...... and insulting him isn't going change his mind either.

Until he realizes that the people here aren't trying to be jerks. We are really concerned about his well being and him NOT having to learn the hard way....like some of us did.... Until he realizes this and decides he is concerned enough about his own well being to learn to use hearing protection....more piling on isn't going to help.

Do you get my drift? Can you hear me? Good.....I wish I could!

See the other thread? Heck I started it.

I'm just trying to help him out. And I'm serious about the free samples.

Joshua Culp
05-13-2010, 9:36 PM
Brendan,

Please wear hearing and eye protection at all times - both in the wood shop and on the range.

Semper Fidelis,
Joshua

Mike Cruz
05-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Wow, your parents would not like it if you got something from a fellow wwer that would protect their son? Hmmm. Either you underestimate your parents, or they don't understand wwing and its dangers. Since they have been so protective of you, I think you are making assumptions about them on their behalf. Go ask them if it is alright to have someone send you some demo ear protection. Oh, sorry, you already know the answer...make that all the answers.

Harold Burrell
05-14-2010, 7:00 AM
Oh, sorry, you already know the answer...make that all the answers.

That does appear to be the case, doesn't it...

Troy Turner
05-14-2010, 8:58 AM
I guess you never watched Norm ;)
"Before we begin using any power tools lets talk about safety...and remember, there is no more important safety measure than to wear these...safety glasses." Yeah, I've heard him say that more than once. And yes, the AOs work. Was routing on the router table, plastic insert vibrated loose, hit the bit, flew up and bounced of the glasses and ended up across the shop...14ft away. Took a break for the rest of the day. I WILL NOT turn on my tools without my glasses. There was one day I couldn't find them, so I didn't work in there. I agree with lessons learned. Take what you've learned, what we've all given you, and get back out there and make some sawdust....SAFELY!!!!!!!!!

Jim Rimmer
05-14-2010, 2:40 PM
I don't think we are beating up on Brendan or not acting OUR age. He comes here seeking advice and when it doesn't match his preconceived notions he posts why he can't do it.

Brendan, I'm telling you something you probably know. The eye incident was quick and the results and potential loss were obvious. Hearing is much different. You won't get an "AHA" moment that makes you change your mind. Hearing loss is gradual and irreversible. If you don't protect it now, when you finally realize you should have it will be too late.

Neil Brooks
05-14-2010, 2:57 PM
Jim-

You're right ... and ... my comment was NOT addressed at everybody.

The person to whom it was addressed ... probably figured it out :)