PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Goto My PC?

Mitchell Andrus
05-11-2010, 7:29 PM
I'm thinking about keeping my main laptop in the house and using a cheapo in the shop (about 100' away). Wireless isn't a problem, but gaining fast access at either location is pretty important.

Checking email, bothering you fine folks, etc. without making the trip to the house....

Rich Engelhardt
05-11-2010, 10:28 PM
logmein.com is a freebie.

One of my customers - a CPA - swears by it.

I run it on my home PC also & it seems to do a decent job.

Being browser based and running via HTTPs, it goes through firewalls without issues.

Mitchell Andrus
05-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks. I'll have a look.

Matt Meiser
05-11-2010, 10:33 PM
No reason, as long as you have both computers behind a firewally use one of the VNC variants. GotoMyC and LogMeIn will go over the internet to their servers and back to you. VNC is a direct connection. Just make sure your PC isn't in your router's DMZ and that the VNC ports aren't open trough your router.

I'm running UltraVNC on my shop PC which is Windows 7 with good success.

Greg Peterson
05-12-2010, 12:04 AM
If you are running Windows you can just Remote Desktop into them.

Bryan Morgan
05-12-2010, 2:12 AM
We use logmein, go to my pc, and some citrix stuff at work. It all works about the same. I use logmein with my families computers when they need help...

Mitchell Andrus
05-12-2010, 7:35 AM
If you are running Windows you can just Remote Desktop into them.

I'm not traveling through the 'net, just the router. I didn't know about Remote Desktop. Thanks. I'll give that a try. Now I just gotta get a cheapo 'puter for the shop.

Matt Meiser
05-12-2010, 8:18 AM
There no remote desktop on the Home versions of the OS's though.

Zach England
05-12-2010, 8:29 AM
There no remote desktop on the Home versions of the OS's though.

Seriously? That's dumb. I am glad I only use enterprise software.

I have used both gotomeeting and webex and prefer gotomeeting by far.

But I am sure there is a simpler solution to use on a local network. Look for a download called "synchronicity" something or other.

Matt Meiser
05-12-2010, 8:40 AM
Yes, seriously. Also dumb--Windows Home Server has an RDP gateway so you can log in to the WHS portal and access your computers. But most home computers don't have RDP.

This is the VNC variant I refered to: http://www.uvnc.com/

Dameware is also very good, but costs $90.

Jerome Hanby
05-12-2010, 9:01 AM
I've used gotomypc and logmein. Gotomypc is a little better at handling applications. For example, running the Hava software remotely, I had to pull down menus that would cover the main screen then dismiss them in order to get it to refresh when using logmein. Gotomypc handled it perfectly. On the other hand, I only used gotomypc for the trial period and switched to logmein and stayed with it, faults and all because it was free and I was able to "trick" it into doing what I wanted.

If you are never going to need the ability to get into your PC from any PC anywhere that has web access (firewalls permitting, many corps block logmein and gotomypc), I think I'd find out if standalone products like pc-anywhere or carbon copy still exists. Even if they sell for $100, it doesn't take too many months of Gotomypc fees to cover that.

You don't mention what versions of Windows (I'm presuming that these are windows machines) that you are using. You may be able to run Microsoft's remote desktop and do what you want. It's intended to let technicians take over machines remotely for maintenance, but I think it would also handle what you are trying to do. Do some googling on remote desktop and try it out.

Zach England
05-12-2010, 9:06 AM
Trouble with all of these is they do not bring you beer.

Mitchell Andrus
05-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Trouble with all of these is they do not bring you beer.

You're thinking gogetmeabeer.com... Different.

Rick Prosser
05-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I just started using TeamViewer, and it is very easy to use. Free for home use. Allows remote use/support and file transfer and VPN. You don't even have to "install" the program - just run it when you need it.

Neal Clayton
05-12-2010, 11:05 AM
if you need to get at windows home edition computers and want to buy something simple, we used the software from http://www.radmin.com before there were stable vnc options for windows years ago. it's about as simple as possible to set up, has remote desktop mode and file transfer mode, that's it.

Eric DeSilva
05-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Yes, seriously. Also dumb--Windows Home Server has an RDP gateway so you can log in to the WHS portal and access your computers. But most home computers don't have RDP.

I thought with XP, RDP was on all versions; I want to say that its just with Win7 that they took it out? I used to use it to access a headless PC that just acted as a music server, but I can't recall whether the headless PC was running XP Pro or not. Mitchell, are you running XP or Win7? Might be a moot point.

Mitchell Andrus
05-12-2010, 2:50 PM
I thought with XP, RDP was on all versions; I want to say that its just with Win7 that they took it out? I used to use it to access a headless PC that just acted as a music server, but I can't recall whether the headless PC was running XP Pro or not. Mitchell, are you running XP or Win7? Might be a moot point.

XP Pro.

Bryan Morgan
05-12-2010, 4:07 PM
I'm not traveling through the 'net, just the router. I didn't know about Remote Desktop. Thanks. I'll give that a try. Now I just gotta get a cheapo 'puter for the shop.

For local connections just use VNC. We load it on all of our local workstations because we are too lazy to walk over and help people. Haha actually it allows us to multitask and help out people at all of our other locations. UltraVNC is good and free, TightVNC is ok but crashes a lot, RealVNC is pretty good.

Bryan Morgan
05-12-2010, 4:11 PM
XP Pro.

XP Pro has RDP. You just have to make sure its enabled on the remote machine... Right click My Computer -> Properties -> Remote tab -> check Allow users to connect remotely to this computer -> Select Remote Users to set which user accounts can use RDP.

The client is under Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Communications -> Remote Desktop Connection

Its kind of self explanatory once you run it :)