PDA

View Full Version : I wish I could communicate

Robert Ducharme
11-19-2004, 11:24 PM
Been pretty busy lately trying to get things done outside before the snow settles in. :o Here is one of my projects that ties the house and workshop together.

I needed to be able to hear my wife when I am out in the workshop. Looked at intercoms between the two buildings but after pricing everything out, decided to put in a phone system. Jim Becker can drool all he wants but I also used to work for Avaya.

Still pulling all the wires (network as well as phone) and need to dress them up. I was NEVER going to put in a PBX so did not wire the house correctly when I built it. Boy am I sorry :mad: .

Here is a picture of the PBX and one of the phones - yes this is a gloat :D .

Robert

Jim Becker
11-20-2004, 2:22 PM
Woo hoo!! Very nice having a Partner system in the house, Robert. While I'm happy with the multi-line, multi-set Panasonic wireless handset system I use now, I will likely put in a small PBX when I eventually get my office out over the shop and have a weather-proof conduit stuffed with com cables taken care of. I'll likely go with the IP Office Small Office Edition if I can get a good deal as it opens up a few other things that I'd like to take advantage of from a high-tech standpoint.

And for you folks wondering about Robert's comments about the wiring, many houses are not wired with home-runs for telephone cables...and loops will not do for this kind of thing as every phone needs it's own dedicated wire. Even with plain old $15 Walmart analog phones, you are better off with home-runs for your wiring. Much easier to trouble-shoot, too. So if you are wiring up for communications, use Cat 5 or better cable for everything and make all cables home-runs back to a central panel.

Dave Bartley
11-20-2004, 2:38 PM
Very nice for sure. I do prefer the old way. That of course being, if the wife needs me for something, she can come down to the shop and get me. :) It keeps her looking good. Still has the same build she had when I married her 39 years ago. 5' 4" and 110 lbs. Lookin good!!