PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Wall-Street II

James Combs
05-11-2010, 3:10 PM
This is a Brushed Chrome and Chrome Wall-Street II with segmented walnut using aluminum roof flashing material to divide the segments. The aluminum forms two intersecting loops around the center of the walnut barrel.

Finish is 4 coats of thin CA each sanded to 2400 grit and 1 coat of Hut Crystal coat and one coat of Hut Stick Wax.

bob svoboda
05-11-2010, 3:13 PM
That's an exceptional pen, James. Nicely done!

Mike Willeson
05-11-2010, 3:35 PM
Very nice James. That'd be a great pen to use, but I would be afraid to lose it!

John Keeton
05-11-2010, 3:37 PM
JD, that one certainly has some class! I like it. I guess the finish will keep the aluminum from oxidizing.

James Combs
05-11-2010, 3:49 PM
Very nice James. That'd be a great pen to use, but I would be afraid to lose it!

I have been carrying this one but I may trade it later for a click pen of the same design and finish.

JD, that one certainly has some class! I like it. I guess the finish will keep the aluminum from oxidizing.

It should, that's one of the reasons I put 4 coats of CA on it. I normally only do one or two.

Mark Hix
05-11-2010, 6:40 PM
Great looking pen!

David E Keller
05-11-2010, 6:59 PM
That's a great looking pen, and probably my favorite of the one's you've posted. You can trade out the refill for a gel refill if you like the feel of a rollerball.

Bernie Weishapl
05-11-2010, 9:19 PM
That is one elegant pen James.

Roland Martin
05-11-2010, 9:46 PM
Beautiful work James. I really like the subtleness of the aluminum, just enough to give it a classy look without overpowering the walnut. I'm with David, I think this may be the best I've seen you post.

John W Dixon
05-11-2010, 10:32 PM
James this is really a nice looking pen. I love the use of the aluminum flashing. I'm gonna have to give that a shot. Very nice.

John

Karl Card
05-12-2010, 3:43 AM
WSII is a nice looking pen and james has really did his part in making this look nice.... what ticks me off is that these pens write like crap from WC. I have talked to the store and they know they write bad but corporate doesnt seem to mind.. oh well..

James Combs
05-12-2010, 8:03 AM
WSII is a nice looking pen and james has really did his part in making this look nice.... what ticks me off is that these pens write like crap from WC. I have talked to the store and they know they write bad but corporate doesnt seem to mind.. oh well..

I agree with the poor writing quality of the WSII. If I sell one I will be replacing the cartridge with a gel type. So far all the WSII's I have made have been for siblings, in-laws, and their children so I haven't been too concerned about it.

I had been buying most of my kits from WC but I recently bought a dozen or so from Penn State Ind. I had heard some negatives about them but so far I haven't had any problems and cartridges write much better then WC.

Steve Schlumpf
05-12-2010, 8:40 AM
Nice work James! Very clean and classy look to it!

Paul Douglass
05-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Nicely done.

Jenn Hill
05-12-2010, 10:45 PM
That's beautiful James. I've been wanting to try the aluminum flashing myself.

Peter Fabricius
05-14-2010, 9:46 AM
James, that is a very classy pen, beautifully done...
I have a question about the thickness of the kerf you cut. A thin kerf blade is 1/16 inch and the aluminium is thinner. How do you get the intersection to match if the kerf is wider than the inserted material? It looks like you are using a 45 degree angle, is that correct?
We always watch this for Celtic Knot patterns to ensure the crossovers match up.
thanks
Peter F.

James Combs
05-14-2010, 12:28 PM
James, that is a very classy pen, beautifully done...
I have a question about the thickness of the kerf you cut. A thin kerf blade is 1/16 inch and the aluminium is thinner. How do you get the intersection to match if the kerf is wider than the inserted material? It looks like you are using a 45 degree angle, is that correct?
We always watch this for Celtic Knot patterns to ensure the crossovers match up.
thanks
Peter F.

Yes the saw I used was about 1/16" kerf but then I sanded both sides to ensure they were flat so the results were at least 3/32" for both cuts. I have seen jigs someplace on the creek to insure alignment but for this one pen I just eyeballed it by hand until the CA set.

Sorry, I wish I could say that I had this great handy dandy thing-a-ma-jig but I didn't. If I do any more of them I will be doing some research on jigging the glue-up.