PDA

View Full Version : B-17 in town today

Paul Atkins
05-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Wish I could justify the 450 dollar ticket to ride in the B-17 that's in town this week. I've always been intrigued by that plane. There used to be one stationed at the airport here for fire fighting back in the 60's if I remember right. What a sound and image of it against the blue sky. Today is clear as a bell and calm winds with temps in the high 70's. Guess I'll pay the 5 bucks to peek my head in. Anyone here ever fly in one?

Charlie Reals
05-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Wish I could justify the 450 dollar ticket to ride in the B-17 that's in town this week. I've always been intrigued by that plane. There used to be one stationed at the airport here for fire fighting back in the 60's if I remember right. What a sound and image of it against the blue sky. Today is clear as a bell and calm winds with temps in the high 70's. Guess I'll pay the 5 bucks to peek my head in. Anyone here ever fly in one?

Paul, I have had the pleasure of that ride twice in my life. I wouldn't pay that price to do it as my rides were free. Noisy, cold and a rough ride in weather but it sure gives one an Idea of what the crews went through except for the shooting. Flew in one in South Dakota back in the sixties then again in Fresno in 1981. both were fire support planes. One of my favorite models to build when I was a kid.

Charlie

Rod Sheridan
05-11-2010, 12:52 PM

Paul, I don't know if you can afford to pay $450 however wouldn't flying in the B-17 be similar to wood working as a hobby and not require justification?:D

Gee, if my hobby needs justification I'm in deep trouble.........Regards, Rod.

Belinda Barfield
05-11-2010, 1:21 PM
Paul,

My SO's father was a nose gunner in a B-24. About six or so years ago the Collings Foundation brought a B-24 and a B-17 to Savannah. They were here the weekend of Valentine's day. I coughed up the cash and bought a ride on the B-24 for my SO. He actually got to fly in the nose gunner's position. He said it gave him a new appreciation for his father and what he went through in WWII. He also said it was one of the best presents of his life. So treat yourself, you deserve it. :)

Dave Verstraete
05-11-2010, 1:53 PM
My Father had 50 "Free" rides in the tail of a B-17 over Sicily and Italy. It usually developed a few holes in it on every trip. He's gone now but not forgotten.

Roger Newby
05-11-2010, 2:08 PM
My Mother fell out of the bomb bay doors of a B-17:eek: She was a "Rosie the riveter" at the Martin Bomber Plant in Bellevue, NE. during WWII. That location is now part of Offutt AFB. :cool:

Bryan Morgan
05-11-2010, 3:20 PM

If it were closer I'd pay 450 bucks to have a ride in it. When's that opportunity ever going to come up again? That is an important plane for U.S. history.

Sean Troy
05-11-2010, 4:01 PM
My father was a B-17 pilot in WWII. When I lived in Az., we used to go to Falcon Field in Mesa and walk through the B-17 named Sentimental Journey quite often. I can't believe how small they actually are for a crew of the size they had in missions. Well worth the walk (crawl) through at least.

Tom Winship
05-11-2010, 6:48 PM
Hard to believe there were almost 13,000 built at a cost of less than $250K each. Like most "big heavies" built by Boeing it was very reliable. We've all seen the pictures of them returning to England with partial wings, no vertical stablizer, etc.
B17, B29, B36, and B52 were my favorites.

Bruce Page
05-11-2010, 7:38 PM
The B-17G was one of the coolest of the cool.

Bobby Nicks
05-11-2010, 7:47 PM

I did it and loved it. The B-17 Liberty Belle was here last June. Believe they were charging $430 at that time. Wife told me to consider it my father's day present. Once you were in the air you could walk around the plane and see what the different positions were like. Be the gunner, radio operator, etc. Did I say that I loved it!!!

Here's a link to some pictures of my ride.

Bob

http://lilredss.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Lee-County-Airport-82009-B17/9286646_aw9bg#620524598_rGHxL

Jim Becker
05-12-2010, 9:51 AM
There's on that flies out of an airport near Acadia National Park up in Maine. It was taking off while we passed by there a few years ago on the way to the park. Magnificent airplane for it's time and amazing that it's still going strong in it's current work of giving folks the experience of flying inside of it.

Norberto Coutinho
05-13-2010, 2:02 PM
Since I saw this movie, my dream is flying on one. But in Brazil is impossible. Due this, I saw ( and will see ) for a lot.
http://www.google.com.br/#hl=pt-BR&q=memphis+belle&aq=&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=memphis+belle&gs_rfai=&fp=430c57c0a265f438